Forewarned is Forearmed and removed automatic-attacks

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Dark Minions: Forewarned is Forearmed
Rarity: Common, Precise: C2

Resource: Permanent-event

Any non-Dragon Lair site with more than one automatic-attack is reduced to having one automatic-attack of the hazard player's choice (this attack cannot be canceled). Any creature or other hazard with more than one attack is reduced to one attack of the hazard player's choice (this attack cannot be canceled). Discard when such an isolated attack is defeated. Cannot be duplicated

How soon it is needed for hazard player to choose which AA will remain at affected site?
The knowledge may be needed for various reasons both for hazard player and for resource player. And even before facing of AA.

Is the choice fixed or is reset in next turn, when other player becomes a hazard player?

What if chosen AA is in meantime removed but affected site still otherwise would have multiple AAs, e.g. Moria with Nature's Revenge is in play Balrog of Moria is in play too and Animal AA is chosen. Then Nature's Revenge is removed by Marvel's Told. May/need a hazard player choose other AA?

EDIT: "affected site still have multiple AAs" "affected site still otherwise would have multiple AAs"
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
SuperNovice

The General Combat Outline (https://meccg.com/rules/tutorials/combat/) lists the stages as:
  1. Play of card that generates 1 or more attacks (or satisfying a passive condition that generates 1 or more attacks)
  2. Attack Sequence Starts
  3. Assign Strikes (If not canceled. It is now too late to affect/cancel the attack)
  4. Strike Sequence Starts
  5. If there is more than one strike in the attack
  6. Apply outcome of attack and all effects generated by it’s outcome
  7. If there is more than one attack, repeat
Based on that framework, my view is that entering a site starts a chain through step 1 as a result of the triggering of automatic attacks. Forewarned is Forearmed then triggers as a passive effect in response to modify the attacks. This reduces the automatic attacks to 1 (of the hazard player's choice) then the rest of the sequence plays out.

From that framework, my opinion on the three questions are:
1 - Once the party enters the site and chooses to face the auto attacks, the choice is made
2 - I can't find it but I'm fairly certain I read somewhere that effects from events end during the end phase of each turn. For consistency, my opinion would be that the choice lasts through the end of the current turn then has to be remade in a subsequent turn if the site is entered again.
3 - Going back to the framework above, the choice is made in step 1 then the attack sequence starts in step 2. You can respond during step 2 to get rid of a permanent event during the chain of events to cause attacks generated by an event to fail. This should be handled the same way. i.e. If the hazard player chooses an automatic attack from an event (such as Nature's Revenge) and you remove the event during step 2, the attack fizzles.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Seems like that before AA at site with multiple AAs is faced the Forewarned is Forearmed does not have an effect on this site.
So someone may play in M/H phase Arouse Minions on any AA at such site and Tidings of Bold Spies copies all AAs.
Right?

What is "a passive effect"?
SuperNovice

For AAs, that's the way I'm thinking about it. For Tidings of Bold Spies, it would still be reduced since Tidings says all modifiers take effect - it just wouldn't happen until Tiding resolves and the attack starts. At that point, all effects would be applied.

"Passive effect" should have been "passive condition" - I was thinking of this: https://meccg.com/rules/tutorials/passi ... ng-primer/. Basically, Forewarned is already in play and is triggered by the attacks created by an AA (or Tidings).
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

The Lidless Eye: Tidings of Bold Spies
Rarity: Common, Precise: CB, CS2

Hazard: Short-event

Playable on a company moving to a site with an automatic-attack. This card creates one or more attacks on the company, the total of which duplicates exactly (including modifications) all automatic-attacks at the site. These attacks must be faced immediately and are not considered automatic-attack.

An automatic-attack to be copied may be already modified (e.g. by Arouse Minions). Is not modified by effect of Wizard's Flame.
It will be eventually modified by effect of Wizard's Flame if it will be faced. Ultimately may be not faced or when faced the Wizard may not be in company facing AA.
Right?

If so. Is not it inconsistent to apply to a attack to be copied some modifications that are applied (declared and resolved) when the attack is faced (from Rank upon Rank, Redoubled Force; seems like you are treating Forewarned is Forearmed as one of them) and do not apply other modifications that are applied when the attack is faced (from Wizard's Flame, Bitter Cold)?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Thanks everyone (and particularly SuperNovice) for input.
I will explain how in my opinion Forewarned is Forearmed works.

Only action that the card causes which is activated by passive condition is "Discard"; passive condition is "when such an isolated attack is defeated".
Besides it works similarly to Fell Winter. Once Fell Winter is in play all [-me_bh-] receive an additional AA. Once some site becomes [-me_bh-] while Fell Winter is in play it receives the AA. Once Fell Winter leaves active play and/or site ceases to be [-me_bh-] the site loses the AA.

Some word about "(this attack cannot be canceled)" effect.
If the effect would be a result of action activated by passive condition (which would be a facing the attack) then it would be easily evaded by cancel action declared in response.

Thing about which I am not sure: Is the choice of remaining AA fixed or is reset when new player becomes hazard player.

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”