Dwar Unleashed

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Frodo
Ex Council Member

I liked Marcos's idea that an Orc must be in your company. In fact, we might consider the idea that only Orcs can play these factions. Why should Dwarves, Dunadan, or even Trolls be allowed to?

The intention of DU was always to count all factions and allies on table. In fact, someone once calculated the maximum bonus that could be achieved this way.

Originally, DU said that "wolf allies in Dwar's company can play Our Own Wolves, etc." so it wasn't just any schmo who could play them, it was Dwar who was giving the wolves this power. The difference game-play wise is nill (allies never make CC checks; neither do RWs), this just comes down to pure personal aesthetics and theme. I kind of like the idea of Allies being able to cast magic (if Tom can Marvels Told, why not?) when with Dwar, but that's just my preference.

Frodo
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

When with Dwar there would be no difference, but since this is now removed from DU it can be played on any guy with a wolf...agreed on the orcs riding the wolves.

calculation is easy: 3 factions and 12 allies max. With Orc-mounts I suppose we add 6 more factions? Without a max, that's a possible 15 region movement then :wink: I think that the factions and allies are easy enough to get so I don't think we need count any in play, themewise, if opponent has faction in play, they work for him, not for you. But, I don't think it matters that much.

please don't compare Tom to any beast on 4 legs...
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Jambo

I like the thought that it has to be Dwar's allies or factions. Like Thorsten says, Saruman's wolf factions and allies wouldn't be working for Dwar. With the potential for 3 new Wolf factions, the picture's changed considerably.

As to the orc only issue, do you want the deck and strategy to be restrictive? Do you want all active Dwar decks to be orc based? Remember, Dwar will typically be covert, orcs are overt...
marcos
Council Member

i don't like the "playable at a site with a wolf-automatick attack" stuff, it just adds more cramp to white towers/ weathertop squat. If you don't want dwar to be squating at the haven playing this faction just add "non dark-haven site" ...

about who plays the magic, it is the same, Dwar or the ally, it is just a matter of esthetics...

Re all factions in play: i prefer that only factions played by Dwar's player affect Dwar unleashed, as you guys said, saru's wolves are not going to work for Dwar.

I would also restrict the playability of the card to Dwar/Saruman only, other way it would be too good for a FW Cheezagast... And add a restriction about a protected wizardhaven for Saruman as Ben suggested in the other thread...

just my 2 cents
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

How can the play of magic cards be only a matter of aestetics, if Dwar is not mentioned at all as requirement for being in the company? With the former Orc Mounts version I can play HoS and OOW on any guy with a wolf ally, don't matter if he's orc brawler...so I prefer Jambo's new version for sure.

well the card has to be played somewhere, would you rather it be any site, also border/free-hold then? Agreed on the cheezagast abuse, and don't forget the even worse Hogg breeding dogs, but I'd prefer making it more difficult for them over outlawing it, you know I am allergic to such unnecesary restrictions :wink: . So why not make it playable at site with orc auto (or where a wolf faction is playable), resembling the War Wolf ally, I suppose the object of Jambo was to make it playable where you would logically play the allies or factions to increase speed.
Playable at any non free/border if you discard for no effect a Wolf-riders :wink:
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Okay, only Dwar's stuff counts.
So why not make it playable at site with orc auto (or where a wolf faction is playable), resembling the War Wolf ally,
Good idea, Thorsten--that's perfect.

Hmm, I forgot that Dwar's teams will usually be covert. Maybe it doesn't need any playability restrictions then. Perhaps add a bonus to the influence attempt if you are Dwar, Saruman, and also "(+3 if Orc)"?

--Frodo
Jambo

I like the Orc automatic attack idea. It also opens up sites that Dwar can reach unboosted (1 region away) which is helpful.

Dwar Unleashed V:
Playable on Dwar during the organization phase (if Dwar is your Ringwraith). Even without a mode card, Dwar’s company may use region movement equal to 1 region plus a region for every Wolf faction or two Wolf allies you have in play. Any character controlling a Wolf ally may be in the same company as Dwar and all Wolf allies in Dwar’s company gain the ranger skill. Dwar may play Our Own Wolves and Hounds of Sauron. You may discard this card if Dwar is not moving: Dwar's current region and all adjacent regions change to Dark-Domains or Wildernesses until your next organization phase.

And Orc-mounts:

Orc-mounts V:
Wolf Faction
1 MP
Playable at any tapped or untapped site with an Orc automatic-attack if the influence check is greater than 10. Standard Modifications: +3 if Dwar is your Ringwraith or Saruman is your Fallen-wizard. Tap Orc-mounts during your organization phase to immediately transfer one Wolf ally from one character to another in the same company. You may tap one Orc-mounts during your end-of-turn phase to take Our Own Wolves from your discard pile into your hand. Our Own Wolves no longer creates an attack against your companies.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

I think this is ready!!

Frodo
Jambo

By the way the +3 is not just for Dwar and Saruman. It's "if Dwar is your RW or Saruman is your Fallen-wizard." Like the Radagast animal factions, any character will revceive the +3 if either of these two are your avatar.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Aargh, I just thought of something.

Is this too easy for FW Saruman, or no? Because his bomb card, The White Hand, requires 3 factions... which normally he must do a little bit of work for... but perhaps the orc autos is enough of a deterant, correct?

Frodo
Jambo

Perhaps not, Orcs autos aren't that close by Isengard (nearest Moria) so I think it'll be fine. :)
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Why would or should Dwar's company normally be covert? I think any guy running around with a pack of wolves should be overt. I understand ICE made wolf allies covert because you might mistake them for just beasts, but no hero would let them just wander around in town. And no dwarf or elf, or man for that matter, would or could mount a wolf.

Saruman will need Double Dealing or Great Ruse then for most sites I suppose. Wind Throne is only ruins I can think of with orc auto, and Under-grottos.

Maybe make it easier for the badbeards, by stating: also playable as hero resource if Strident Spawn or Untimely Brood is in play?

Playable at any site with wolf auto if you have Warg king or have played wolf faction there? (tap Lobelia to fetch him?)
If only the Wolf-factions werent so easily available for badbeards...
Jambo

Any RW not in Fell Rider mode is considered covert. Wolves don't make companies overt.

Saruman can use an overt company to play Orc-mounts at Moria, Wind-throne or any minion site with an orc auto-attack. Or use Double-dealing for a hero company.

We could do a link with Strident Spawn and a protected wizardhaven as Ben once suggested. Not keen on Untimely Brood since it'll just help Radagast more.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Yes but the fact that Dwar is covert, doesn't mean he should operate only with men and such? I think the company should thematically be overt, but that aside, people seem to imply he should want to be covert, and I'm not sure that he should.

What you mean? a FW overt comp must still use hero sites for shadow/darkholds, and Orc-mounts is a minion faction!

Untimely brood doesn't help Radagast that much here other than not needing Great Ruse or Double Dealing, I'm not suggesting with Spawn or Brood they should be playable at havens, he'd still need to go to a site with orc-attack, most of the time he won't like that. And UB is played by Radagast anyway 99% of the time.
marcos
Council Member

i liked that "playable at any site where a wolf faction is playable"... Would it be too strong if we add that?

Return to “Development”