Alert the Folk V

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
marcos
Council Member

Balin wrote:
marcos wrote:any dragon country deck would use it... Even more by a FW that can get the bonus from a Dragon faction....
you cheezy! :lol: great idea, though I don't think this card is meant to be used on Dragon factions (only Smaug Ahunt could be played on listed regions anyway), because a dragon is not a folk, is it? :wink: I changed the spelling to 'unique hero factions', just in case.
instead of "unique hero factions" i'd say non-dragon factions... so if you are running FW you can also use minion beornings... What do you say?

regards!
Last edited by marcos on Wed Apr 16, 2008 2:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nerdmeetsyou

yeah... I think that is the best way...!
marcos
Council Member

other thing to note is, what happen if i have 2 companies, one influenced iron hill dwarves and the other is hunging around at "The Stones", if opponent plays a cave drake on that company, they receive the prowess bonus too... Maybe a nice option would be:

Permanent event:
Playable on a company. Place all your factions playable at sites in Northern Rhovanion, Iron Hills, Woodland Realm, or Anduin Vales with this card. Tap this card if the company is facing a Dragon or Drake attack other than Earcaraxe (this card never untaps). When tapped, all characters facing the attack gain a bonus to their prowess equal to the total marshalling point values (as printed on their cards) of any one or two of such factions. If the attack is not defeated, discard one of the chosed factions. You can reveal a copy of this card from hand to untap it. Cannot be duplicated.

this is some kind of representation of the folk (faction) that follows who have convinced them (influenced) to battle against the dragons around...
Nerdmeetsyou

I think the malus of having your faction discarded is too strong...
maybe just make the faction -1 marsheling or halved....

but i don't think a lot of people would play it the way it is...
an old trush would be more senseful in most cases....

My strongest opinion is, that you just make the faction discarded if one of the strikes does wound one of your character...
and if that happens your faction is discarded in additional...

so there is a drawback... but it is not that hard....
Balin
Ex Council Member

All right, let's make it like this:

Short event

Playable on a company facing a Dragon or Drake attack while moving to (or staying at) a site in Withered Heath, Grey Mountain Narrows, Northern Rhovanion, Iron Hills, Woodland Realm, or Anduin Vales. All characters facing the attack gain a bonus to their prowess equal to the total marshalling point values (as printed on their cards) of any one or two unique hero factions you have in play (such factions must be playable at a site in a region listed above). If any strike of such attack is successful, discard one of the chosen factions. Cannot be duplicated against the same attack.

In this way it's more thematic because factions only support against attacks keyed to their area. I keep the 'unique hero' clause for thematic reasons too. Hope you all like it.
Last edited by Balin on Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:45 am, edited 2 times in total.
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!
marcos
Council Member

yes i like it :D
Nerdmeetsyou

If i get it right...
the Iron hill dwarfes will also be able to help me ... even if the attack is in the wirthred heath???
marcos
Council Member

yup
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Pitty the Beasts of the Wood can't help to fight nasty dragon :cry: They could create a diversion, dragon thinks: hmm nice snack! :wink:

minor remark: it's Withered Heath, and it's chosen (in stead of chosed), just to be complete.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

One thing to think about is that if we create a viable faction strategy in VSet #2 that incorporates Jon Yost's idea of "wounded" factions that are inverted and worth half their MP, rounded up, then we can use that idea here (like Boder suggested), and rather than having these factions discarded (which I would NEVER do), they would simply be "wounded."

Even better, since it's really weird that far-away factions can help you with a dragon attack on the other side of Middle-earth, this Alert the Folk could simply help you in same or adjacent regions to where the faction is currently present. This would give a neat reason to move your factions around the map besides simply "battling."

Btw, on a whole different note, this reminds me of when I was commenting on Alliance of Free Peoples (V) and I thought that it would be nice if a resource player could somehow stage "battles" for himself that didn't rely on the opponent also participating in battles. Perhaps cards like At-home Dragons (or Balrog of Mora, or any perm) could create this effect; they could be "battled" by factions.

Frodo
Balin
Ex Council Member

Frodo wrote:One thing to think about is that if we create a viable faction strategy in VSet #2 that incorporates Jon Yost's idea of "wounded" factions that are inverted and worth half their MP, rounded up, then we can use that idea here (like Boder suggested), and rather than having these factions discarded (which I would NEVER do), they would simply be "wounded."
All right, if we incorporate such idea we would replace "discarded" by "wounded" and keep in mind that factions could move. Meanwhile, I think this Alert the Folk is good as it is: a nice and thematic aproach to faction-battling.

I edit my posts to show the current text including Thorsten's remarks.
__

Jambo

This could use All the Bells Ringing?
Balin
Ex Council Member

It could, though picture from Alert the Folk is better, and new text is simillar to the old one as well... Current V-Alert the folk could be changed to Legendary Hoard, Bounty of the Hoard, Master of Esgaroth...
__

Jambo

Master of Esgaroth is a good idea for the other card! :D
marcos
Council Member

agree

Return to “Development”