Re The Great Goblin!

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I'd say original attack means original attack, right? so no boosts would influence that, in my book. Not that I would mind if it got Minion Stirred...

The body is not important for the rescue, and he can hardly attack, then why change body at all? just a thought.

Yes that would be funny, I emprisoned Barliman this weekend at the Lure with a Troll purse at Ettenmoors :wink: . But good solution.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

this version CAN be stirred, we all are ok with that?

body is important because it will be easier to kill...

WHO THE HELL RUNS BARLIMAN NOWADAYS XD!!!
Jambo

It's only a 1-shot trick if the modified attack is defeated. If it succeeds or ties it's still there. But, should you get greedy and try to capture more... and then one of the modified attacks gets defeated... The Goblin will go and any prisoners will be released.

So it requires a bit more restrain and thought. The DM rules dictated the last part, in that as soon as there are prisoners, the card becomes a host and requires a site card to be placed with it. If prisoners are then rescued the host must be discarded and the site is returned to the location deck. Obviously to make this work the hazard player should not use their own copy of Goblin-gate for their own devices!

Edit: The GG most definitely can be stirred. It's an Orc attack after all. Body is important if the rescuing company want any MPs for all their hard work. :D
Last edited by Jambo on Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.
marcos
Council Member

Jambo wrote:It's only a 1-shot trick if the modified attack is defeated (ties don't count). If it succeeds it's still there. But, should you get greedy and try to capture more... and then one of the modified attacks gets defeated... The Goblin will go and any prisoners will be released.

So it requires a bit more restrain and thought. The DM rules dictated the last part, in that as soon as there are prisoners, the card becomes a host and requires a site card to be placed with it. If prisoners are then rescued the host must be discarded and the site is returned to the location deck. Obviously to make this work the hazard player should not use their own copy of Goblin-gate for their own devices!

Edit: The GG most definitely can be stirred. It's an Orc attack after all. Body is important if the rescuing company want any MPs for all their hard work. :D
i see, it's very nice
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

yeah but wouldn't that be a matter of how you time it? Minion Stirr is already on table as rescue attack commences, I read GG, it says 'the original attack', so I'm thinking 'any modifications don't apply.'

What do you mean 'nowadays', you mean they used to but now they don't? In a Cool-play Tournament, almost everybody runs Barliman, because he can fetch you drinks :wink:
Jambo

If the GG attacks as a creature in the high pass it'll get boosted by a minions stir played before or after the creature attack.

If the GG attacks as a creature in a rescue attack it'll get boosted by a minions stir played before the creature attack (can't be played after since it'll be the site phase).

What's the difference?! Minions Stir gives Orc attacks +1 prowess +1 strike (double if DoN is in play). The GG is an Orc. There's no mention of 'original attack'.
marcos
Council Member

that's what i was going to say
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

So what the 'original attack' for then? if boosters still influence it.
marcos
Council Member

please quote the part in wich says anything about the "original" attack... I can't see that...
Jambo

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:So what the 'original attack' for then? if boosters still influence it.
I was hoping you'd tell me, since I don't know what you're talkng about! lol
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

yeah just noticed, it's not on it anymore, sometimes older versions get stuck in your head. :wink: okay my bad.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Hey guys: Although it's true that the dark-hold playability should be the first thing to go since it's not necessary to theme, we have to think of these cards not just in terms on GCCG card templates but in terms of physical text-boxes that people are cutting it. With physical cards, it's pretty annoying to suddenly say "No dark-hold playability"... in fact, we'd have to write it into the text!

I'd recommend keeping the latest version but having his text allow him to be played keyed to Goblin Gate only. So he keeps the dark-hold text, and can also hit Goblin Gate.

Frodo
Jambo

Ok Joe, that's important to know.

How about we just leave playability as it is and drop the body to 5? Then the original creature has a significant survivability advantage over the creature/perm version. This card is indeed powerful (think Hobgoblins with +2) and the 2 MP reward for killing the Goblin should be a realistic and likely eventuality to compensate.
marcos
Council Member

agree with Jambo
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Yeah, I had this discussion with Marcos too with respect to something like King under Mountain.
I'd prefer Jambo's solution as well, though it's chosing between two wrongs. We can only discourage the play of GG as creature then...

Return to “Development”