Re Words of Power and Terror

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
marcos
Council Member

IF you want to restrict that, you can add:

"it may not be targetted by The Nazgûl are abroad"

but i don't know if we need to restrict it... thoughts?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Well the goal is to actively combine the strategies, so if you can't add this card to Nazgul Abroad it makes it less attractive to actually keep the nazgul in hand. So I would say it's a natural. Can't see if it's too big, not counting against HL, but don't think so.
Most nazgul cards are playable on nazgul(attack), this card isn't, but I guess that's no problem either?
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

yes, i prefer that it can be played with TNaA
Frodo
Ex Council Member

In my original version of the card, I think I had toyed with adding the line, "The Nazgul may not be played as a permanent-event this turn." The purpose here was to: 1) Limit the "drop down" Nazgul strategy with this card; a player is forced to hold onto their Nazgul a full turn 2) Thematic (Nazgul is hovering in the sky somewhere).

I think such a line would prevent players who use Nazguls primarily as a "drop down" strategy from shoving in The Nazgul Are Abroad (V) and 3 copies of Words of Power under it just to enhance some creatures, because they won't like at all the *forced wait* and non-card draw for a turn. Still, I don't know if it really needs this line, though.

--joe
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

yes it's a catch 22, you don't want to add HL for WoPaT and make the nazgul attack deck more difficult to play, but playing WoPaT just for the booster for free istoo easy as well. Not being able to play the nazgul as a perm is harsh though, you won't get too many chances to play it as a creature. Maybe there's a middle ground? You can't play it on this company as a perm, but you can on another one (Ioreth at Rivendell)?
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: (Ioreth at Rivendell)?
lol how typical :lol:
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Good suggestion, Thorsten--will post final text.

Frodo
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Words of Power and Terror
Playable on an Orc, Man, Troll or Mûmak strike if you reveal a Nazgûl from hand. If the strike has no body, it has 7 body, and the Nazgûl cannot be played as an event this movement/hazard phase. The next Nazgûl attack against the company this turn cannot be cancelled, chooses defending characters, and resulting body checks for the Nazgûl and character(s) are modified by +1. Cannot be duplicated on a strike.
this is current final version :wink: , I like body better than prowess of course, but maybe make it not duplicate on attack in stead of strike? It's pretty easy to protect your slayers/assassins this way, if it comes from TNaA and you have hl to spare of course...
hmm, not duplicate per turn? slayers/assassins have multiple attacks. Don't know, just seems so easy to prevent giving 2 mp's away...
Jambo

There's bound to something altogether better that we can do with Words of Power and Terror. It's a really cool card, but it just isn't doing it for me at the moment.

Maybe there's something we can do for Nazgul keyability, such as enabling Ruins and Lairs (e.g. Weathertop)? Or maybe there's a completely new and creative effect that we introduce? I really like the general ideas of this card: lowering body all round and revealing a Nazgul from your hand; it's just that it needs something cool to go with them...

Anyone with anything creative/novel which could partner these effects?
Jambo

For example, given undead can be associated with Words of Power and Terror, here's an idea with some undead synergy:

Words of Power and Terror V:
Playable on a Ruins & Lairs that is not a Dragon's lair if you discard a Nazgul from your hand. One Nazgul or Undead creature may be played (and does not count against the hazard limit) at this site this turn.
Alternatively, playable on a strike from a Nazgul if you reveal a Nazgul from your hand. The strike cannot be cancelled and any resulting body checks are modified by +1.

Or

Words of Power and Terror V:
Playable on a Ruins & Lairs that is not a Dragon's lair. Any one Nazgul or Undead creature may be played (and does not count against the hazard limit) at the site during the site phase this turn after the successful play of a resource that taps the site.
Alternatively, playable on a strike from a Nazgul if you reveal a Nazgul from your hand. The strike cannot be cancelled and any resulting body checks are modified by +1.
marcos
Council Member

i like the first version. But still i ran WoPaT at the tourney with the prowess bonus and all... and after all, i think i only played it 1 time. I don't see anything wrong with the card as it is at the moment, but if you want to change it, go on, no problem with me. I like all the versions sugested so far
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

you were too busy playing Scimitars probably so you couldn't be bothered :lol:
Aligning Nazgul with undead is cool, it must be done! but, this card is more about the captain firing his troops and attacking heroes, no? Also, there's already Sleepless Malice, chill douser/stirring bones can attack at ruins, Shadow out of Dark, Barrow Wight UEP (okay I exaggerate, haha).

we'll sleep on it and see what dreams may bring.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Let’s make Words of Power not duplicable per turn.

Hmm. The thing is, the Nazgul were never really aligned with Undead in the texts, though they were rather like the Undead themselves.

I really don’t see how we can justify having the Nazgul attack Ruins and Lairs! There has to be some safe site from them. However, I do think something of the “siege” feeling of the books is still missing from Words of Pow-wow. So how about this tastier version:

Words of Power and Terror
Playable on an Orc, Man, Troll or Mûmak strike if you reveal a Nazgûl from hand. If the strike has no body, it has 7 body, and the Nazgûl cannot be played as an event this movement/hazard phase. The next Nazgûl attack against the company this turn cannot be cancelled, chooses defending characters, and resulting body checks for the Nazgûl and character(s) are modified by +1. In addition, this attack may be keyed to Weathertop, Minas Tirith, or a non-haven site with Eye of Sauron. Cannot be duplicated on a given turn.

I am SICK and tired of how often companies run to Minas Tirith and are rather immune there. That was where the Nazguls (and Sauron) finally got ‘em, so there should be SOME way for the nazguls to get them here, too. If we don’t like the Eye of Sauron variation, we should include Ettenmoors in the list.

Frodo
marcos
Council Member

aye! that eye of sauron clause is just awesome!!! That is a very nice version Joe. congrats!
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Hee hee... yeah, I guess it nicely goes with the siege idea because Eye will only be played on a large company that's squatting/building up their forces, which means Sauron is alerted to their presence, which means he would likely send an army after them.

Frodo

Return to “Development”