Re Words of Power and Terror

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Jambo

Words of Power and Terror V:
Playable on an Orc, Troll, Man, or Mûmak strike if you reveal a Nazgûl from hand. The strike receives +2 prowess. The next Nazgûl attack against the company this turn cannot be cancelled, chooses defending characters, and resulting body checks are +1.

Quick question - does the way the body checks part is written mean that the +1 will also be applicable to failed strikes of the Nazgul, i.e. easier to kill the Nazgul as well as easier to be killed by the Nazgul?
marcos
Council Member

i'd say yes
Jambo

Yeah, that's what I think too. Do you think this is intended?
marcos
Council Member

sure, why not, Witchking killed theoden easilly and then eowyn killed Witchking at the books even with his terrorific words...
Jambo

Interesting take on things.

Just in case it's not what was intended, here's the other option:

Words of Power and Terror V:
Playable on an Orc, Troll, Man, or Mûmak strike if you reveal a Nazgûl from your hand. The strike receives +2 prowess. The next Nazgûl attack against the company this turn cannot be cancelled, chooses defending characters, and all body checks resulting from successful strikes are modified by +1.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Actually I'm not too thrilled about this card. It creates more combo's between nazgul attacks and other creature strategies, that's fine, and it's nice thematically, but mentioned categories don't need any buffing up, do they? And if it's about the following nazgul, then just make it about the nazgul, I'd say. Not being able to cancel the nazgul and upping the body-check is big already...
two more prowess to one strike, yeah why not?
but I liked the first version better, at least there's some catch :wink:
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Actually I'm not too thrilled about this card. It creates more combo's between nazgul attacks and other creature strategies, that's fine, and it's nice thematically, but mentioned categories don't need any buffing up, do they?
mumaks and trolls doesn't see much play IMHO... This might be good for them
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

yeah but the reason is not prowess, or is it? People still want to keep adding prowess to everything, I think that's a dangerous thing to do, then you'd need to up the resources and characters also, look at what Decipher did to LotR, in the end you just get a 50 prowess Sauron...
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

for some trolls i guess the problem is the prowess: wild trolls, half trolls of far harad, william...
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Actually, it was NOT intentional to buff both body checks, but I think that is fine. So let's word it as: "resulting body checks for the Nazgul and character(s) are +1."

I'd like at least a +1 prowess bonus to reflect theme (Nazgul's shriek makes the heroes fight worse against these creatures), but I don't see why we can't go with +2 for now.

Frodo
marcos
Council Member

+2 is ok, as i said, a dedicated deck that uses this card will be pretty different to what we all know. Also think that not ALL the time, a nazgul will be played after one of those attacks.... +2 is ok with me...
marcos
Council Member

do we have a final version of this card?

EDIT: if we have it, please post it in the respective topic
Jambo

Does it matter that this card can interact with virtual version of The Nazgul are Abroad, in that 3 copies of it could be placed underneath TNaA straight from the sideboard?
marcos
Council Member

what's wrong with this? i think that words of power and terror is more a booster for other type of creatures than a helper for a nazgul itself... Nazguls are still hard to be keyed, so i guess there won't be much problem with that
Jambo

Yes, my point was not related to the Nazgul hazard strat, but rather other creature strats having 3 copies stashed under a TNaA.

Return to “Development”