Final two Awakened Plant cards:

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Jambo

The final two cards can come from any of these or any variant or combination of these:

Long-event
All Awakened Plant attacks receive +2 prowess and 1 extra attack. A character can tap to cancel one of these attacks. Additionally, all Awakened Plant attacks with no body have 6 body. Cannot be duplicated.
Permanent-event
Playable on a non-Wizard, non-Ringwraith character facing a non-detainment strike from an Awakened Plant. The strike receives +2 prowess. If the strike is defeated, discard this card. If the strike is not defeated, place creature's card with [named card] - creature is considered off to the side. The target character may not move to another site and the target character's company faces an attack from the creature at the start of each movement/hazard phase; attacker chooses defending characters. Discard associated creature's card if [named card] is discarded. Discard [named card] if attached Awakened Plant is defeated. Cannot be duplicated on a character.
Permanent-event
All Awakened Plant attacks are doubled. A character can tap to cancel one of these attacks.
[1 MP] Short-event
Playable on an eliminated Awakened Plant creature in your opponent's MP pile or a trophy. If Awakened Plant can attack, bring it into play as a creature that attacks immediately (not counting against the hazard limit). The attack receives +1 prowess and +1 strike and chooses defending characters. If the creature is defeated place this card in opponent's MP pile and he receives 1 MP.

Permanent-event
Any Awakened Plant creature may be played keyed to a region or adjacent region (non Dark-domain, non Coastal Sea) where an Ent is present or an Ent faction was played, and may also be keyed to Ruins and Lairs, Shadow-holds or Border-holds in these regions. Awakened Plant attacks at Shadow-holds are not detainment.

Suggested cards for these include Darkness Under Tree, Choking Shadows, Lost in the Wilderness, Nature's Revenge, or Waiting Shadow.

Bear that in mind that cards could be added to bolster this strategy in the next set or changed after the March tournament. As Marcos suggested, try to think of a recycler, a booster and something miscellaneous. Radagast the Tamer has already been approved.
Last edited by Jambo on Wed Feb 27, 2008 8:41 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Jambo

Although no. 5 is quite cool, I don't think it can work in its current form. There is no such thing as an "Ent". The Ent allies and the Blackbole don't have a race unfortunately.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Ah, I see you removed the 'keyed to site' clause from no.2, that actually makes it a lot better, yes this could work, actually it could be very strong indeed. But how about the detainment attack from Ent in Search, it can't be defeated can it? So this Treebeard is going to talk you into eternal emprisonment? Either way, the body of Ent is very hard to defeat.
I think Choking Shadows is the better title for it, over Lost in wildernes.

You're right about the Ent allies, what a bummer. It could be circumvented of course, but then lets leave it for the moment.

I prefer a bit weaker perm. over a stronger long event, so I go with 2, 3 and 4.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Jambo

Can a detainment attack be defeated? I guess if it can then there's no real issue?

Could just make it a non-detainment strike? Although the notion of an Ent (read Treebeard) talking incessantly for hours and restraining a character is quite thematic thinking back to Entmoot and Merry and Pippin. :)
Jambo

In terms of my own opinion I'm leaning towards the following:

Choking Shadows
Permanent-event
Playable on a non-Wizard, non-Ringwraith character facing a non-detainment strike from an Awakened Plant. The strike receives +2 prowess. If the strike is defeated, discard this card. If the strike is not defeated, place creature's card with Choking Shadows - creature is considered off to the side. The target character may not move to another site and the target character's company faces an attack from the creature at the start of each movement/hazard phase; attacker chooses defending characters. Discard associated creature's card if Choking Shadows is discarded. Discard Choking Shadows if attached Awakened Plant is defeated. Cannot be duplicated on a character.

Is miscellaneous and fun.

Nature's Revenge
[1 MP] Short-event
Playable on an eliminated Awakened Plant creature in your opponent's MP pile or as a trophy. If the Awakened Plant can attack, bring it into play as a creature that attacks immediately (not counting against the hazard limit). The attack receives +1 strike and chooses defending characters. If the creature is defeated place this card in opponent's MP pile.

The more I think about this card the more I really like it. It helps to prevent too many easy kills and easy MPs and it doubles up the AP creatures in your deck. Also if your companies are killing huorns, Old Man Willows or Ents willy-nilly, then beware, nature will bite back! Pretty cool. Although I might remove the +1 prowess (undecided)...

This card will make any dead huorn (highly likely) into the equivalent of a Cave-drake keyable to single w, and any Old Man Willow into a veritable 2@13 or 14, attacker chooses, keyable to double ww! Both are also keyable to a few sites, most notably Old Forest. Lastly it will also give a minion player a MP which is cool. :)

Edit: Non-detainment added to Choking Shadows.
Last edited by Jambo on Wed Feb 27, 2008 4:48 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I always understood it to be undefeatable, because you can beat the strikes prowess but there's no body-roll nor do you get mps for it, nor is it places out of play. But a simple non detainment would solve that and would be better, funny and thematic though it might be :wink: Anyway, the fact remains, that 1@16 for Ent is hard to beat, and then you're stuck with rolling a 9 for the body, otherwise you're srewed for that character. I smell voices, I always hate it when prisoner cards have to be voiced. Therefore it would be better perhaps to make a construction where only the strikes prowess has to be defeated.
[Feel free to move this post if it's not appropriate here]

Still, I agree with your selection of these, and would add the no.3 DuT.
Jambo

Non-detainment added to the previous post. A third card will have to wait until set 2.
marcos
Council Member

i vote for 1 (or 3 with the body modifier eventually), 2 and 4... I want a booster that stays in table to affect many attacks, that is the problem with 2 and 4, that affects only 1 attack/strike. Both 2 and 4 have very cool miscelaneous effects, so any of them is ok with me, but i prefer 2 over 4... so i'd say 1(or 3) and 2...
marcos
Council Member

we also have to decide about what joe said:
Frodo wrote:7) Darkness Under Tree: Keep title. If we want more than one attack cancellable, write the following: “One or two of these attacks may be cancelled by…” . If we don't, leave as is. I still like the Huorn effect being added to this card (of extra Ent playablility) and vote for this clause being added here, unless a number of us are against it. Vote?
thoughts?
marcos
Council Member

here's my suggestion (wich is a mix of thorsten's, mine, and joe suggestions):

Permanent-event
All Awakened Plant attacks are doubled. Any Awakened plant with no body have 5 body. A character can tap to cancel one of these attacks. Any awakened plant creature can be played against a company that defeated an Awakened plant attack during his movement/hazard phase.
i think it fits well with Nature's revenge's picture...
Last edited by marcos on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

well, not sure why he mentions the 'one or two of these attacks', how's it gonna be more than 2 attacks then? you can't duplicate DuT, did we not mention that on no.3 proposal? Surely you wouldn't want both attacks cancelled by tapping?
about the huorn ability, of course you can add 'any AP can be played keyed to single wilderness. But is that what we want? I'd prefer them keyed this way only after Huorn.

If it's for only two slots, then I vote for 2 as well (next to 3). 4 has great potential, but since there's not going to be a full AP strategy with only two slots, perhaps we better leave 4 and Huorn to flesh out a bit more. And 2 can more easily function by itself.

btw. I think to 3 also the plus on body can be added without a problem. Did anyone give thought to how high that body should be? If you want to defeat two attacks with body 6, your chances are not that good actually. but then again, plants are tough.
marcos
Council Member

well, at first time i suggested 4 body... What do you think that will be better? 4, 5 or 6?

here's another suggestion based on the extra keyability and less body:

Permanent-event
All Awakened Plant attacks are doubled. Any Awakened plant with no body have 5 body. A character can tap to cancel one of these attacks. Any Awakened Plant creature may be played keyed to a region or adjacent region (non Dark-domain, non Coastal Sea) where an Ally playable at Wellinghall (or blackbole) is present or an Ent faction was played, and may also be keyed to Ruins and Lairs, Shadow-holds or Border-holds in these regions. Awakened Plant attacks at Shadow-holds are not detainment. Cannot be duplicated
i think this one is better then the one above, is everyone ok with it?
I'd choose this one and number 2, for the 2 available slots
Last edited by marcos on Wed Feb 27, 2008 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

interesting proposal Marcos, then you actually want your huorn to die...since the Huorn doesn't make it for playtesting, I'd say why not?
Try wording it like this: any awakened plant creature may be played on a company that has defeated an awakened plant attack in the same movement-hazard fase. [because all ap's are actually played in the mh-fase of course]

but then you suggest changing Darkness under Tree to Nature's Revenge, did I get that correctly?
Jambo

This is good too, but if I had to choose I'd still vote for Thorsten's Nature's Revenge for inclusion in the immediate set. Mainly because it's different and I like how it flows. Ents/huorns are slow to rouse and in the books it's only after Saruman's mercilessly hacked away at Fangorn do they finally come out in force.

We've got a relatively limited number of AP creatures at our disposal, and Thorsten captures and deals with both aspects well. The huorn, ent or OMW have to be killed to get the ball rolling, but once one is killed, the ante's most definitely raised should they visit w or ww or Old Forest, not forgetting most of Mirkwood for minions. There's no MT or VoM either since it's a short-event, although to counterbalance this there is at least a MP reward for both minion or hero.

I'd maybe be happier removing Choking Shadows if people are feeling strongly one way or another, but Thorsten's is really cool - although I can't decide whether the prowess boost is necessary?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

That one's fine too, but for general purposes of course the first one (any ap may be played on company after defeated attack) is better.

I had thought of that Wellinghall clause too, but then I was wracking my brain to think if there weren't any other allies that could be played at Wellinghall. Are there? Radagast Black Bird?

Statistically, body 5 seems better.

Return to “Development”