Regarding Indur Unleashed

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Marcos and I played a Virtual Game and came to the conclusion that this card doesn't help that much. The problems are as follows:

1) The Balrog Ally card text doesn't allow play by a RW;
2) One under-deeps site/turn isn't fast enough for things to be really exciting;
3) You'll likely want to be using Indur's Normal Unleashed as well for attack canceling;
4) You really want to be able to start this as a minor item like Khamul Unleashed.

Here's an alternate version:
Indur Unleashed: Minion Resource Permanent Event

May be played in lieu of a minor item at the start of the game. Indur's company may use Under-Deeps movement. If in Fell Rider Mode, Indur may play the Balrog as an ally. If Indur is in Heralded Lord mode, tap Indur Unleashed at the end of Indur's movement/hazard phase to allow him to move to another site using Under-Deeps movement. If Indur is in Black Rider mode +2 to his rolls to move between Under-Deeps sites, and he may heal at any Under-Deeps site during the Untap Phase as though at a Haven.

Essentially, this allows a person to customize a deck somewhat to different styles. Fell Rider allows the great 4 MP ally, but prohibits followers; Heralded Lord allows for fantastic movement at the risk of low prowess, and Black Rider is a generic "safe" mode for those who just want some Aiglos/Black Axe action.

Thoughts?
marcos
Council Member

awesome version! i like it ben!!! congrats

fell rider for pure under deeps, heralded lord for up and down army of the north and black rider for easy movement :)

does indur now needs a mode to move that fashion right? it doesn't state "without a mode card"
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

It doesn't precisely need to ("Indur's company may use Under-deeps movement" is sufficient unless ICE erratas it :) ), but we could add "even if not in a mode" for clarity.
marcos
Council Member

i think it's better this way, it fits much more the thematic of playing 1 mode for a certain under deeps strategy... what do the rest think about this?
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

It has my blessing.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Wow, Ben! I guess this proves that you only really know what a card needs once you playtest it. I forgot that wounding Indur really screws this deck, given the unavailability of havens. But now if you have They Ride together you can switch him into a healing mode with little difficulty.

This new card has my vote.

Really nice job! (Go playtesters!)

--Frodo
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Shucks, I'm flattered. :D
Jambo

Bandobras Took wrote:It doesn't precisely need to ("Indur's company may use Under-deeps movement" is sufficient unless ICE erratas it :) ), but we could add "even if not in a mode" for clarity.
I think the second part would be required. The 'official' ruling on Dwar Unleashed still rather bizarrely requires Dwar to be in mode...
marcos
Council Member

i think it would fit more with the thematic of the card if he actually needs the mode card. So it depends on what mode you add to your deck is going to be the use you give to the unleashed card. What do you think?
Jambo

Given that the player might have several mode cards in the play deck to make use of their various effects, requiring a mode card might not make much difference. Plus, mode cards can't be played on a RW not at a Darkhaven. So a player will have to wait there until one arrives.
marcos
Council Member

Maybe if we allow indur to switch mode cards when he is at any under deep site? like this:

"if indur is at any under-deeps site, you can play a mode card from hand if he is not in a mode, or take a mode card from table and play a different one from hand"

Return to “Development”