Riven Gate/Terror Heralds Doom

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Playable during the organization phase on your Ringwraith at a Darkhaven. You may play up to two additional Orc or Troll characters of 3 mind or less from the discard pile in the Ringwraith’s company the turn this card is played (up to four characters at Minas Morgul). If the Ringwraith’s company is in Fell Rider mode and at or moving to a Free-hold or Darkhaven, you may have non-Ringwraith characters in his company. If the Ringwraith’s company is at a tapped Free-hold during the site phase, tap this card: you may take Terror Heralds Doom into your hand from your play deck; reshuffle. This card never untaps. Cannot be duplicated by a given player.
Unique. Playable during the organization phase if you have a tapped Riven Gate in play. Ringwraiths may move to hero Havens. They may initiate company combat there if the site is tapped. Smoke on the Wind played on a hero haven by a Ringwraith’s company is worth +2 MPs (+4 on Grey Havens). All hero havens: Any Elf, Dúnedain, or Maia hazard creature may be keyed here (Elves only at Lorien), and such creatures
may be keyed regardless of resource effects in play.
Edhellhond: Auto-attacks here cannot be cancelled.
Grey Havens: Thrice per turn, the hazard player may use one against the hazard limit to play one Dunedain or Maia hazard creature from the discard pile on any company moving here.
Are these cards also meant to be usable by the Balrog? Currently, they do not exclude him.
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

Good call. I would say it doesnt matter though, since the Balrog text states that he may not use starter or region movement. I would explain this as that he may move to a haven, but not trough starte ror region (Unless a card overrules this, like Out He Sprang).

Might be handy though to rewrite that card piece into:

Unique. Playable during the organization phase if you have a tapped Riven Gate in play. Gametext on hero havens prohibiting Ringwraiths to move there is cancelled. Ringwraiths may initiate company combat at a hero haven if the site is tapped. Smoke on the Wind played on a hero haven by a Ringwraith’s company is worth +2 MPs (+4 on Grey Havens). All hero havens: Any Elf, Dúnedain, or Maia hazard creature may be keyed here (Elves only at Lorien), and such creatures
may be keyed regardless of resource effects in play.
Edhellhond: Auto-attacks here cannot be cancelled.
Grey Havens: Thrice per turn, the hazard player may use one against the hazard limit to play one Dunedain or Maia hazard creature from the discard pile on any company moving here.[/b]
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

No need to worry anyway.... Balrog has no Fell Rider mode :)
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Starter or Region movement doesn't matter, nor does Fell Rider. The Balrog already could have non-RWs in his company. Still he would need region movement to be in a company at a tapped free-hold (alternatively, he could go to the Blue Mountain Dwarf Hold but not do Lord and Usurper) . . . I guess you're right, it's sufficiently difficult for him that we don't need to worry.
marcos
Council Member

Ringbearer wrote:No need to worry anyway.... Balrog has no Fell Rider mode :)
good point! so, we leave it as it is?
Jambo

Yeah, I'm not sure this matters. A Balrog with Flame of Udun still can't have followers or characters in his company, and a Balrog would still need the various cards that permit movement to move his company there.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

The only issue that I had thought of with the Balrog which still bugs me is that the card Riven Gate *can* be easily played by the Balrog to net him an additional three characters from the discard! He doesn't have to move at all to take advantage of this. And of course, playing characters in such a cheesy way has been a frequent complaint against the Balrog.

Perhaps it would be better to simply add "Playable on your NON-BALROG Ringwraith..." to avoid this cheesy play?

--Frodo
marcos
Council Member

that sounds ok

nice to see you back Joe

best!
Marcos

Return to “Development”