Waiting Shadow

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Jambo

Waiting Shadow
--Although I haven’t heard any complaints about this card (probably because we all hate squatters so much!), it occurs to me more and more that it’s probably a bit overpowered in its current form. Our purpose in devising this card was to think about how we could target the characters who are most often NOT affected by Heedless Revelry or the auto-attacks at sites; e.g. the highest-minded characters or Wizards. But the way this card is played now, it can ruin even single-character companies: you move someone to a site, he gets Rivered, so you wait one turn—but now you are completely stopped by Waiting Shadow! It may not even have been your intention to squat; you may not even have tapped the site yet. Therefore, I am seriously considering revising the card so that it only affects companies with “more than one character, unless at a haven.” This way, you at least have a chance to play something there with the one untapped person, as opposed to be completely stopped. Thoughts?
I really like this card, although I do see where you're coming from with 1 character companies. The thing is this card can be played on a site of a moving company and if that company just happens to get tapped out it will also penalise them next go if they stay. So it's not just perennial squatters that this card is useful against, it can actually penalise movers! Coupled with the card's ease of play this can make WS a dead-cert for a slot in every deck. Is that a bad thing? Not sure.

Maybe the card should only be playable on site of a non-moving company? This at least makes the hazard player retain the card in his hand and take the gamble on the resource player not moving the company again next go.

Return to “Development”