Umbarean Corsairs

Where the Virtual Boyz plan their latest capers
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

A roll greater then 2? Isnt that too easy?
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Frodo
Ex Council Member

The problem is, the whole deck depends on getting the faction in play. So unless you succeed in this roll (not to mention draw it first turn), your game will be seriously slowed down, or even lost.

This is not a faction that provides "cool bonus abilities" or anything like that. This is a faction that provides the groundwork FOR THE WHOLE DECK. One may as well pretend it's a starting event, since it's pretty guarranteed to be in play quickly.

Frodo
Jambo

I don't really understand the reason for the change to the first part? The old version was greater than 8 with a +5 for a Dunadan and the new version is just greater than 2 and only by a Dunadan. If anything the second way is more tricky since only a Dunadan can do it...

The faction also gives 2 MPs.

Also, I remember your deck doing pretty well versus mine (only 1 or 2 MPs in it at the end). Have you played other games with this deck?
Jambo

I must say I'm not overly keen on prowess bonuses being rather arbitrarily awarded. Maybe there's another way of looking at the problems associated with this deck type?

One problem I see is clearly the lack of any noteworthy prowess boosting items for travelling in and around Gondor - for example, the Broad-headed Spear is only worth a paltry 1 MP. How about some event or something that increased the MP and CPs of the Spear by 1 point? Or something that makes them more playable?
Frodo
Ex Council Member

Hey Jambo,

In our game I was playing To Satisy at tapped free-holds, and multiple copies. I've now realized it's illegal to use the card that way, and To Satisfy was the whole brunt of the deck.

I rewrote the first playability line for one reason: 1) It saves card space! But also because it seemed weird that it was still technically possible for a Wizard or Orc to get the faction in play. But maybe this isn't a problem. I'm not tied to the change.

It's true that changing the MP value of the lower-valued major items could be one solution. (Though this would necessitate a Catch an Elusive Scent type of deck then, right?) But I don't think it would be as thematic as gathering information and taking prisoners. I also think the prowess bonus is pretty limited, since it's only at a site--and only particular ones that match your company (thus, you can't really chase an opponent). But I guess what I need to do is play you guys again with the new deck, or observe someone else's version of it (then we might think of alternate bolstering methods).

Frodo
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I suppose above discussion is about a whole different version because I can't make squat of it.
Anyway, current version:
Unique. Playable at Gobel Mírlond if the roll is >3 by a Dúnadan or Man only. May not be influenced by an opponent.
All versions of this site become Shadow-holds [ ]. Your companies with a Dunadan character may move from Gobel Mírlond to a new site in a Coastal Sea or region adjacent to a Coastal Sea, or vice-versa. The site path is [ ] and the hazard limit is decreased by one to a minimum of three. Also, if the Dúnadan’s company moves to Gobel Mírlond, you may reorganize it with your company there and move again using this card’s special movement ability. You may store resources and items at Gobel Mírlond as if it were a Darkhaven.
my question: as it stands, a dunadan can also move from wherever to Gobel Mirlond and then take ship same turn. Basically you can move from Raider Hold to Himring in 1 turn. Is this intended? (not saying it's not cool). Or is it intended for companies that arrive by boat and thus refresh, pick up some new recruits, and sail out again?
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Frodo
Ex Council Member

You do not need to arrive by boat to sail out again.

To put it most dramatically, you could move from Imlad Morgul to Raider-hold, then sail to Himring, in one turn.

Btw, the clause about followers was necessary because "organizing companies" does not seem to include moving followers (according to the rulesbooks).

Frodo

Return to “Development”