(Deck) Lady Galadriel: Towers Destroyed

Moderators: Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor Peredhil

Muzgash

I thought I'd post a not terribly original, yet enjoyable deck that I've been playing.

Starting Company
Bladorthin (Star-Glass)
Glorfindel II (Healing Herbs)
2x Elven Handmaiden
Towers Destroyed
War-Forges
Lady of Many Gifts

Deck Character
3x Lady Galadriel
Celeborn, Lord of Lorien
Fanar
Wood-Elf

Resource Cards

Items
No Items

Allies
No Allies

Factions
No Factions

Events
2x Ancient Knowledge
2x Dark Tryst
3x Gates of Morning
3x Great Achievement
3x Longbottom Leaf
3x Lucky Search
3x Marvels Told
2x Risky Blow
3x Smoke Rings
3x Star of High Hope
3x The Evenstar

Sideboard

1x Aranruth
3x Bow of Yew
1x Chief-Guardian
1x Elves of Lothlorien
1x Emerald of the Mariner
1x Enruned Shield
1x Leaf Brooch
1x Legacy of Smiths
1x Orcrist
1x Palantir of Amon Sul
1x Pass the Doors of Dol Guldur
1x Phial of Galadriel
1x Quickbeam
1x Rescue Prisoners
1x Safe From the Shadow
1x Thranduil
1x Tower Raided
1x Trusted Councellor
2x Waybread
1x We Have Come to Kill

Sites
Lorien
Dol Guldur
Wellinghall (Quickbeam)

Play Notes

You'll want to mulligan any hand without Galadriel in it. There are no resource cards worth marshalling points main deck, so you'll
always have the option to Mulligan. If you find Galadriel, tap her on turn one to put Phial of Galadriel and the Lorien items in the discard and use Lady of Many Gifts to grab the phial for Bladorthin. Bladorthin and Glorfindel will head to Dol Guldur to start working on Towers Destroyed.

You should grab Bow of Yew every turn with one of the handmaidens via War-Forges. You'll need these to defeat Sauron during the final phase of Towers Destroyed. The other handmaiden can grab Lorien items, starting with Leaf Brooch, and play Marvels Told. Use the new character combined Haven trick to untap Lorien when needed.

While at Dol Guldur, sideboard in Enruned Shield after you draw into Lucky Search for Bladorthin to get that combo going. You'll want to sideboard every turn with Galadriel, as there are lots of cards that need to make their way into the deck. Despite all the sideboarding, the deck exhausts surprisingly fast since you have so many resources that you can play during the organization phase.

When you're ready to make the final Towers Destroyed push, move the Lorien company (which hopefully includes at least two of Celeborn/Fanar/Elven Ranger with bows) to Dol Guldur to finish off Sauron. If you're feeling extra ambitious you can play Rescue Prisoners and Pass the Doors of Dol Guldur (possible with some Waybreads).

The final turn will have one company go store the events and Palantir (if necessary), while the other finds a Shadow-hold for Tower Raided. Use the Leaf Brooch and Ancient Knowledge to satisfy the requirements for a cool 7 MPs (with Great Achievement).

Final Notes: The character scheme is a little clunky, with not much spare GI, but when I tried a similar strategy with mid-sized Elves I ran into combat issues. Having only 1 faction/ally in the sideboard is also a bit precarious, but there are already issues with sideboard space. Realistically, Rescue Prisoners/ Pass the Gates could be cut, but where's the fun in that?

Marshalling Points

Allies: 1
Factions: 1
Items: 13(15)
Characters: 11
Miscellaneous: 19
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Total: 45(47)
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Nice deck, very creative Towers Destroyed deck, nice trick too with the zero MP in deck to increase avatar draw probability. What do you do if you still don't draw an avatar after mulligan?

The GO problems are bit worrysome though, is starting with a Woodelf and Fanar/Aramacar really problematic? It sometimes pays to have a smaller dude around to take a hit. Better than Bladorthin being Called Home. Or, since you don't play Royal Duo, start Celeborn. Warforges is useful and cool, but Cup of Farewell also does the trick and Galadriel can fetch it fast (or use Possessions of the Green-elves). Then you could start Trusted Counsellor.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Muzgash

Thanks for the input, it's very helpful. I'm toying around with a few new starting companies. One front-runner is Celeborn w/Trusted Counsellor, Aramcar w/ Binding Ring, and Bladorthin w/Healing Herbs. That gives me two 6 prowess and one 7 prowess while allowing me to take advantage of Celeborn being a leader to use I'll Report You while still leaving him enough influence to control Aramcar. There are three drawbacks with this approach, but they might be acceptable. The first drawback is less convenient Marvels Tolds. The second drawback is not starting with War-Forges, but between Cup of Farewell and putting War-Forges/Possessions of the Green-elves main deck I think you're right that it's not such a big deal. The third drawback is the most worrisome. The original strategy involved putting all the Lorien home site characters in the deck, in part because Galadriel needs a formidable enough party to make it to Dol-Guldur safely at the end of the game. Galadriel/Fanar/Celeborn with some bows and Lorien items is a fairly strong party. Now it will just be Galadriel/Fanar and some weaker elves, which is a little worrisome to me, but that still might be okay with all the buffs in the deck.

As far as putting some of the smaller elves in the starting company, the only problem with that is that you have to defeat the attack with Towers Destroyed, and having expendable small guys makes that difficult. I'll do some experimenting, and when I've settled on something I'll edit the above deck list.

Edit: As far as missing Galadriel on the first turn, it's not too devastating as long as you get her within the first 3 at least. The only Lorien item that is truly necessary is Leaf Brooch, so as long as you get that out you're fine. In the latest version I removed star-glass/Phial of Galadriel because I hadn't realize she needs to tap for the Phial.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Starting Trusted Counsellor and Lady of Many Gifts leaves you another stage card, which could be Thrall of the Voice. One might be tempted to play it on Aramacar to free more GI, but you can also use it to play a bigger Elf at Lórien later (or even Dâsakûn, but you'll need Great Patron to get the 2 MP).

I realised it might be good to have a separate DC deck section, to better exchange deck ideas and help others with deckbuilding. So topic moved there.
Muzgash

Definitely nice to have a separate deck forum.

I didn't realize Thrall of the Voice allowed you to bypass the home site restriction. Does that mean it functions similarly to acm/whctk, except the character can still only be played during the organization phase? If so, that opens up a lot of options.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

As it says, you may "play a character (with mind up to 6, even a minion agent) instead of a normal character at your Wizardhaven or Lordhaven". (underlined part is a DCE).
So yes it circumvents the home site rule for Lords, but unlike ACM and WHCtK you can't play him in addition to another character.

Also you can't play a character not allowed for your alignment (meaning overt characters for Lords). For FW there's some debate about this
Muzgash

Actually, now I remember reading that. It's hard to keep track of all the rules, especially when I can go many months without playing a game. Thanks for the clarification.

Return to “Elf-lords”