Unfortunate News

Discussion of the web-based platform for MECCG.

Moderator: rezwits

rezwits
Council Member

Dear Guys,

I am sad to inform you that we had some trouble with the server.

Unfortunately, an update came out, that was not so easy to install remotely. I didn't really give the update much thought as I was just going thru my day ho hum. So I was relaxing, and there was a bug a player had mentioned, and I said well, let me just update the server "real quick." And of course the prior week said to myself, "Do a quick backup." and I put this off and said "I'll get there."

The system had 2 partitions of 128GB each, backing up every night, but I only did remote backups to my HOUSE two months ago, 2020/10/17.

So I will make this short and sweet. There was a Firmware update, included in the regular security update, it's like in between Software and Hardware. This was to prevent "hackers" of course. But I applied the update, and went to fast and didn't realize this was going on at the data center where the server is located, i.e. I couldn't see the machine light flashing an error.

The firmware update crashed and the system and rendered the machine useless. They took the machine out of the rack, did some RAM checks, and had to manually flash new firmware to the machine, the firmware unfortunately wiped the SSD drive controller.

Now I am forced, (not completely, but), to start over and redo the setup of the server with the platform, and then in the end reload, OUR OLD server data dated 2020/10/17.

I am really sorry I was wreckless and didn't backup, I mean really daily, or at least do a HOUSE backup before every System Update. I usually don't have problems and honestly haven't in a while, but of course... it's better than a car accident.

I was getting ready to really start firing up "Feature Requests" and do some posting starting around January 9th. But looks like I will have to be getting the Server back up from now till then, the first thing I will work on is a remote script that uploads the user database (like 100 MBs) to me (nightly) and game saves about 8GBs (weekly), and still have (daily) backups on machine, Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to me!

Oh and Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you guys!!
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
CDavis7M

I'm glad the techs were able to restore the server. Whew! And it's great that we at least have the October data as well. Thanks for handling all this.

Return to “Cardnum”