Comments and Suggestions Welcome...

Discussion of the web-based platform for MECCG.

Moderator: rezwits

rezwits
Council Member

KakitaBen wrote: Tue Jan 21, 2020 12:34 pm Thanks for your reply, it's very very very usefull for deck construction to be able to search key word in card texts.

Another new feature useful, in search type = site can we have strict = under-deeps ?

+++

Ben
If you do a search for "Site" under Type, and then in the text search box put, "Adjecent Sites" you should see the Under-deeps as requested. Make sure you turn off "Only Released" to get ALL of THEM.
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
KakitaBen

Yes with the text search it will work now thanks
KakitaBen

@rezwits about avatarless deck it's preferable having one choice on avatar with «none» and a X or Black pic, I think. A psychologic point of view, I will feel better not seing an avatar on my avatarless deck :D

And technicaly speaking I think that Sauron, The lideless eye and The Necromancer are not avatar and those decks enter in the avatarless category.
Avatar: A term used to denote the character card that
represents you. Avatars may be Wizards, Fallen Wizards, Ringwraiths, or the Balrog.
But not sure of this.

Edit: ok in DC this cards are avatars, I got my answer ^^
rezwits
Council Member

The thing is I can make this happen. It's just I - CAN'T - implement this, and lead others down a path, and then get it ratified or changed to something else 6 months to a year from now, when I have to modify everyone's deck list entries.

Here is my only qualm as I think (in an email) I may have sent to you, I did send to someone, ah yes ok good it was you or at least a person named Ben. ;)

This is the qualm:

When you pick Avatarless, or even "Alignment-less", what are the limitiations, capabilities, or restrictions?

Because look you "kinda" have to be someone right?

So would you, Pick an alignment, but just be Avatarless?

i.e.
You choose, Minion, but then are Avatarless? {or}
You choose, Fallen-wizard or Elf-lord, and then you are subject to their limitations?

I don't have a generic refrence point, for how this is completely handled.

Sounds to me like Avatarless would be Warlord? I mean I just don't get where your "Avatarless" deck fits?

Are you Valar? and just have 3x Saw Further and Deeper and 3x Bade to Rule? And your decks just crush other alignments?

See in the future there is going to be deck checking implemented, I would definitely say THIS YEAR, so if we're gonna do this gotta do it right.

That's all...
CDavis7M

I have the same sentiment as Ben because I often play avatarless. And technically all non-Fallen Wizard non-Balrog decks are avatarless until the Wizard or Ringwraith are revealed. Many decks have 2 of one wizard and 1 of another. So, what is the "Avatar" but a reminder of which deck you are playing? But when you have to choose an avatar for your avatarless deck then the avatar becomes confusing.

Avatarless is not unheard of. There are avatarless unofficial Challenge Decks. Some of the advantages are: no liability of a wizard, characters can always come in at their home sites under GI, and you prevent your opponent from sideboarding hazards by reducing the hazard limit.
rezwits wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:57 pm When you pick Avatarless, or even "Alignment-less", what are the limitiations, capabilities, or restrictions?
First you must pick "New Wizard Deck" or "New Minion Deck" in the Cardnum deckbuilder and then those limitations, capabilities, and restrictions would apply.
rezwits wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:57 pm Because look you "kinda" have to be someone right?
The Valar have forsaken Middle Earth and the Kings of Men have failed. Those who shelter behind avatarless decks give them praise, if ever they hear of them: much praise but little help.
rezwits wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:57 pm So would you, Pick an alignment, but just be Avatarless?
Yes, exactly. Select "Wizard Deck" and then in the Builder UI you'd select "none" for avatar and so image would show up.
rezwits wrote: Tue Jan 28, 2020 5:57 pm Are you Valar? and just have 3x Saw Further and Deeper and 3x Bade to Rule? And your decks just crush other alignments?
Saw Further and Deeper is a key card for avatarless. You are just the free peoples.

DC The Necromancer, where you slip off on your own with A Few Trusty Lads, somewhere where there's good loot nice and handy, and no big bosses. "Like old times."
Last edited by CDavis7M on Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rezwits
Council Member

OK, but you miss the two main KEY points I made (or at least tried to) :)

#1 Where is the documentation (or just use regular rules) BUT

If using the regular rules why can't I say Fallen-wizard? I mean using regular rules I can STRAIGHT 100% say Fallen-Radagast, done. And NOT even play him.

But if there is documentation, (where and) then is it 100% DC "compliant"

#2 I said I can DO IT, it would be easy, but I need a Document and/or FULL acceptance for EVERYONE'S desires...

You and Ben seem to just want this for asthetics, i.e. The Avatar Pict/Icon.

For now you guys can make a Hero or Minion deck (avatarless), and pick whichever Avatar you want for looks. And then when the Avatarless "Card" or "Selection/Choice" shows up in week or so when after we can "Council" some more about this, You can just pick "Avatarless" and that's all you'll have to do, done, just change from Gandalf, in the Avatar Pop--up to Avatarless.

I am saying why can't I choose Elf-lord? or Dwarf-lord? etc

(oh and you don't need an Avatar for Bade to Rule, it is practically the same as Saw Farther)

keep reading and thinking
CDavis7M

Yes, this is just for aesthetics. You are right, Bade to Rule helps avatarless minion decks.

As for documentation:

Including an avatar is not mandatory in Hero and Minion decks:
METW Getting Ready to Play wrote:5) place up to two Wizard cards in your play deck (you may place two copies of the same Wizard)
MELE Getting Ready to Play wrote:5) place up to two Ringwraith cards in your play deck (you may place two copies of the same Ringwraith)
METW wrote:REVEALING A WIZARD
Once you decide to reveal your Wizard, you may still use your pool of general influence points; but, in addition, your Wizard acts as a character (a very powerful one). While revealing your Wizard is an advantage, it also carries with it the danger of losing the game by losing your Wizard to death or corruption.
MELE wrote:You may play a Ringwraith card if you do not have one in play. This is called “Revealing your Ringwraith.” You may not reveal a Ringwraith if your opponent has already revealed that Ringwraith. You must place your Ringwraith at his home site or at Minas Morgul. You need not
control a Ringwraith with influence – he represents you, the player. While revealing your Ringwraith is an advantage, it also carries with it the danger of losing the game by having your Ringwraith eliminated.
Including an avatar is mandatory in Fallen Wizard, Lord, and Balrog decks:
CRF Fallen Wizard wrote:You may not declare yourself as a specific Fallen-wizard unless you have his card in your deck.
DC Lord Rules 1.0 wrote:Being a Lord-player
When playing a Lord avatar, assume you are a Fallen-wizard player, unless specified otherwise below.
MEBA wrote:If you include The Balrog card (the character card with the special reddish background) in your deck or sideboard, you are a “Balrog player”.
rezwits
Council Member

K, well in any case, Vastor is working on getting some art for the Alignments... stay tuned! :)
KakitaBen

David reply for me :)
and yes it's clearly for aesthetics. It's a minor improvement suggestion and if it ask you lot of work, I will live with this :)

My concern is for Hamburger Scenario Tournament in some decks it's forbidden to have an avatar.
By the way, as I say it's not a priority.
Theo

Rez, why not just let players pick any card art they want for their deck? Do you not want cardnum to be as awesome as Magic Arena? :P

(This would also resolve the Avatar pic potentially giving away the avatar early for competitive play, etc, although as it is the non-FW/Balrog players could bluff.)
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
CDavis7M

Please add a clock to the menu bar set to Central European Time and an iframe for translate.google.com.
rezwits
Council Member

hah!
CDavis7M

Under His Blow looks janky and this is the second time I've noticed this. It's not just on my end, right?
rezwits
Council Member

Yeah it's a bad image, I should rescan... anyone?
CDavis7M

It seems like the card search allows for use of accents or not (Cirdan and Círdan) whereas the text search requires exact spelling (Círdan, except that "Ring of Barahir" uses Cirdan without an accent).

Return to “Cardnum”