Agent movement

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

Concerning agents movement, the regions of Udun and Dagorlad are not considered to be adjacent unless you are a Ringwraith player.

I don't see the point in having different movement rules for agents depending on a player's alignment. Hazards are not conceptually meant to be supporting forces to a player's ressources but represent general "dangerous forces". It's not clear to me, why, for instance, an agent (likely in the service of Sauron) at Cirith Gorgor should be unable (forbidden) to move to the Dead Marshes.

My proposal is to make the regions of Udun and Dagorlad adjacent, regardless of a deck's alignment.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I agree with doing away with the current rule.

The concern I have is that agents being able to swiftly move through an area hero companies cannot takes away one of the prime weaknesses of agents, which is their limited mobility.

I would rather see it as Dagorlad and Udun are never adjacent for agents, for strictly mechanical reasons.
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
CDavis7M

This issue mostly seems to affect Golodhros (Minas Morgul, Cirith Ungol, Barad Dur) and My Precious (Goblin Gate, Moria, Shelob's Lair, and Mt. Doom).

I can see the argument for allowing Golodhros to move through the black gate, but not for My Precious. Furthermore, both of these characters have homesites in Imlad Morgul, which is 2 regions from Dagorlad, same as Barad Dur/Mt. Dooom. I'm not sure how useful it would be to change the rules, if it was even determined to be correct.
CDavis7M

Are Udun and Dagorlad even really adjacent for a RW player's hazard agents? Udun and Dagorlad adjacency is an exception for region movement. The region movement exception doesn't say it's exclusively for region movement. However, the MELE rules on agent movement say to use the MEDM rules without mentioning Udun and Dagorlad adjacency as an exception for agent movement. It seems like the rules on agent movement govern agent movement.

Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I think that a proper way to correct the issue is changing:

"Udun is adjacent to Dagorlad for Ringwraith players"

to

"Ringwraith companies may move as though Udun and Dagorlad were adjacent"

Current state of the rule leads to situation where Ringwraith player has different view on adjacency of the regions than non-Ringwraith player, when he plays against him the Chance of Being Lost or some imprisoning hazards.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
miguel
Ex NetRep

Dark Minions insert wrote: An agent is a hazard that represents an individual that has been sent on a covert mission by the Dark-lord or one of his Dark Lieutenants.
Khamul the Easterling wrote: Mon Apr 22, 2019 11:23 am My proposal is to make the regions of Udun and Dagorlad adjacent, regardless of a deck's alignment.
Makes sense to me! :)
miguel
Ex NetRep

Konrad Klar wrote: Fri May 01, 2020 7:49 am "Udun is adjacent to Dagorlad for Ringwraith players"
to
"Ringwraith companies may move as though Udun and Dagorlad were adjacent"

Current state of the rule leads to situation where Ringwraith player has different view on adjacency of the regions than non-Ringwraith player, when he plays against him the Chance of Being Lost or some imprisoning hazards.
I think this also makes sense, some(?) other affected cards are No Escape from My Magic and Trouble on All Borders. But this needs to be looked at more carefully since the implications are broader than with the agent movement. Probably deserves its own thread?
CDavis7M

Ah right, the rules were clarified. "If you are a Ringwraith, your agents may move as if Dagorlad and Udûn are adjacent."

This is not the only difference between hero and minion agents. Certain site types are different which affects agent actions. I don't see a need for parity.

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”