Echo of All Joy + Peril Returned

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
Theo

Last year there was a ballot item for clarifying certain hazard permanent events which are discarded when Doors of Night leaves play, in particular when the effect of Peril Returned (to consider Doors of Night to be in play) is removed. link

This is additionally one resource which is discarded when Doors of Night comes into play (underline mine):
Echo of All Joy wrote:Play on a resource long‐event if Doors of Night is not in play. The long‐event is not discarded as normal during a long‐ event
phase. Discard Echo of All Joy and target long‐event when any play deck is exhausted or when Doors of Night comes into play.
I think it prudent for the community to clarify whether or not Echo of All Joy should be discarded when the effect of Peril Returned (to consider Doors of Night to be in play) resolves.
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
CDavis7M

Update: as stated in the ICE Digests, it is the game state that matters, not individual cards leaving/entering play. So, this makes sense.

In ARV #10, the decision was YES, thereby amending Shelob and Will of Sauron to say "when Doors of Night is not in play" (instead of "leaves play").

A NO decision in ARV #10 would have resulted in the following clarification:

Interpret "when Doors of Night leaves play" as "when any card titled Doors of Night leaves play."

I think Echo of All Joy can be decided consistently with ARV #10 by NOT limiting the discard of Echo to happen only when the card titled Doors of Night comes into play. That is, Peril Returned can discard Echo if Peril causes Doors of Night to be considered to be in play (when Gates is not in play).

We could amend Echos based on Shelob and WoS:
Play on a resource long-event if Doors of Night is not in play. The long-event is not discarded as normal during a long-event phase. Discard Echo of All Joy and target long-event when any play deck is exhausted or when Doors of Night comes into is in play.
This seems to balance the strengths and weaknesses: using Gates (to block Peril and save Echo) vs not using Gates and being susceptible to Peril. Peril being powerful over Doors in one sense because it's not an Environment card (twilight can't cancel).
CDavis7M

The official ruling from ICE Digest 97:
Q: *Will of Sauron* is in play. During the m/h phase Marvels Told is targetted against it, in response another Will of Sauron is played. (legal because the first WoS is targeted for discard, right?) When the initial Will of Sauron is discarded do all hazard long-events get discarded (including the second WoS) with it even though the second Will of Sauron is in play?

A: No.

Q: I realize the second WoS would not be discarded since WoS is a permanent-event, (initially I was thinking it was a long-event), but why wouldn't all long-events be discarded along with the first WoS, since by its text "when this card is discarded, all hazard long-events are discarded" ?

A: It's just like Doors of Night. It's not the discard of a particular card that discards other cards, it's the change in the game state from Will of Sauron to not WoS.
Echo of All Joy will be discarded when the effect of Peril Returned (changing game state to Doors of Night) resolves.

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”