Submission Rules - Please Read

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2019 ARV should be posted here.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Hello All -

Please abide by the following rules when making a post in this forum:

- All new topics created in this forum should be made only to recommend a rule erratum or clarification for the upcoming 2019 Annual Rules Vote (to take place in June 2019). The deadline for submissions is TBD, but will likely be sometime in March or April of 2019.

- If you want to have general discussion about a rule but are not making a recommendation for consideration by the ROC, please do not post here. Instead post in the main CoE / Rules & Errata forum viewforum.php?f=68 OR if you have rules questions, please post in the Rules Questions forum viewforum.php?f=16

- If a submission is specific to a particular card, please put the card name (and only the card name) as the title of your topic.

- If a submission is not specific to a particular card, please use a concise and clear description of the issue as the title of your topic.

- If you feel there has already been relevant discussion related to your submission, please make a link in your topic to the relevant thread.

- If you want to submit a topic which already has its own dedicated thread specific to a rules erratum or clarification, please PM me and I will have the entire thread moved into this forum.

Topics which do not follow the above guidance will be edited or moved as necessary. These rules are for organization purposes and to make it easier for all to navigate the forum.

Thanks everyone for your cooperation and engagement!
Theo

When will the 2019 submissions forum be open to new topics?
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Theo wrote: Sat Jul 07, 2018 7:03 pm When will the 2019 submissions forum be open to new topics?
I apologize, I was unaware that new topics weren't allowed. As admin, it allows me to create new topics, so I didn't notice without testing out other user permissions.

I checked and the forum was not locked, however it had no permissions created for Registered Users. I have now changed that setting so please try again. It should allow you to create new topics now.

Thanks for bringing this to my attention!
CDavis7M

The submissions will be locked soon.(March or April). Does that mean that the wording/language of the proposal will no longer be able to be updated? So, between then and June we can only debate the merits of that locked wording?

Also, if one proposal is submitted, can an alternative be submitted as well? (In a new thread)
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

CDavis7M wrote:The submissions will be locked soon.(March or April). Does that mean that the wording/language of the proposal will no longer be able to be updated? So, between then and June we can only debate the merits of that locked wording?

Also, if one proposal is submitted, can an alternative be submitted as well? (In a new thread)
Once the Submission forum is locked, no new topics will be allowed. However, all current topics will remain open for additional discussion. Furthermore, the ROC may pose questions during this time on the submitted topics, so please keep an eye on your submissions.

The wording/language of the proposal may continue to be updated as well, however, please bear in mind the final language used in the ARV is up to the discretion of the ROC. So the language may be identical or may be different than the language proposed.

Once the Submission forum is locked, the ROC will determine which submissions to include on the ballot for this year’s ARV.

Once that is determined, individual ROC members will each be assigned a number of ballot items they are responsible for. Each member will prepare the assigned ballot items, including language, which must then be approved by the other ROC members.

As for alternative proposals, it is fine to make them, but preferred you simply include them in the same topic, rather than making additional topics, for organizational purposes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
CDavis7M

Thanks for the info!

And thanks to everyone on the Council who is about to put a huge effort into consolidating the ballot.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk

the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

CDavis7M wrote:Thanks for the info!

And thanks to everyone on the Council who is about to put a huge effort into consolidating the ballot.

Sent from my F5321 using Tapatalk
You’re welcome!

Thank you for your thanks!! =D

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

UPDATE:

The deadline for submissions for the 2019 ARV will be May 15th. Please have your submissions submitted by that date! The submission forum will be locked (no new submissions) at that time. All active submissions will remain open for discussion beyond that date.

Thank you.
CDavis7M

Maybe too late now. But it would probably make sense to limit the ARV to a certain number of votes. Just because there are so many this year and it could be too much work for the Council to draft (I just feel sorry for you guys). But also, there are just too many votes for the players to review. It would take hours.

Potentially, we could limit the ARV to 2-5 issue/votes per council member (or similar). And these could be selected from the most debated topics (e.g., topics with the most posts) as those are the issues that are likely to be the least clear and most likely to be different between players.

And then any skipped issues could be moved to the following year's ARV by the Council. Or they could just be dropped and it would be left up to someone to re-post them in the new ARV forum (this seems like a better idea).
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

CDavis7M wrote: Wed May 08, 2019 6:14 pm Maybe too late now. But it would probably make sense to limit the ARV to a certain number of votes. Just because there are so many this year and it could be too much work for the Council to draft (I just feel sorry for you guys). But also, there are just too many votes for the players to review. It would take hours.

Potentially, we could limit the ARV to 2-5 issue/votes per council member (or similar). And these could be selected from the most debated topics (e.g., topics with the most posts) as those are the issues that are likely to be the least clear and most likely to be different between players.

And then any skipped issues could be moved to the following year's ARV by the Council. Or they could just be dropped and it would be left up to someone to re-post them in the new ARV forum (this seems like a better idea).
Thanks for sharing your thoughts. We have recently been discussing this issue. We have not decided yet on exactly how to proceed, but I agree that 100 ballot items would be overwhelming for voting participants (as well as the ROC). I will post more on this once we have made some decisions. Thanks.

Also, my personal opinion... it takes both time and work to submit proposals, so if we do decide to limit the number of ballot items on this years ARV, I feel the submissions not chosen (due to workload) should be automatically rolled forward to 2020, unless the author prefers to withdraw them.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Maybe we can have a second round of votings per year, when a certain number is reached (e.g. more than 50 should be avoided). at the moment there are many, but probably (and hopefully) the number will decrease after a few years.
the ROC should decide about the urgency of a needed decision. tourney-relevant rulings are needed in the spring session (for Worlds), in autemn during a second round we can deal with rulings of lesser urgency.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

The 2019 ARV Submission forum is now closed to new submissions.

Current submission topics may still be discussed and replied to normally.

Thanks to all who have contributed thus far!
thorondor wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:28 pm Maybe we can have a second round of votings per year, when a certain number is reached (e.g. more than 50 should be avoided). at the moment there are many, but probably (and hopefully) the number will decrease after a few years.
the ROC should decide about the urgency of a needed decision. tourney-relevant rulings are needed in the spring session (for Worlds), in autemn during a second round we can deal with rulings of lesser urgency.
I think you are right about the number decreasing after a few years. :)
I appreciate you sharing this idea. At the moment, I'm not particularly excited about doing a 2nd ARV during the year, just due to the time and workload involved.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

the Jabberwock wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 6:08 am The 2019 ARV Submission forum is now closed to new submissions.

Current submission topics may still be discussed and replied to normally.

Thanks to all who have contributed thus far!
thorondor wrote: Wed May 15, 2019 5:28 pm Maybe we can have a second round of votings per year, when a certain number is reached (e.g. more than 50 should be avoided). at the moment there are many, but probably (and hopefully) the number will decrease after a few years.
I think you are right about the number decreasing after a few years. :)
I appreciate you sharing this idea. At the moment, I'm not particularly excited about doing a 2nd ARV during the year, just due to the time and workload involved.
Very good point ;-) but then, the workload isnt in/decreased, just stretched. Anyway, I am not that much involved in the ARV, so lets have it how it is most comfortable to those that are.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

thorondor wrote: Thu May 16, 2019 3:59 pm Very good point ;-) but then, the workload isnt in/decreased, just stretched. Anyway, I am not that much involved in the ARV, so lets have it how it is most comfortable to those that are.
Actually, there is a fair amount of behind the scenes additional work to run a second vote, outside of just preparing X # of ballot items. Keeping an agenda/timeline, communication with forum members, creating the voting forums and activating the voting periods, voter registration approvals, etc. Additionally, trying to get community members to tune in for 2 votes in a year instead of 1 would be an additional challenge. :wink:
CDavis7M

the Jabberwock wrote: Tue Jun 26, 2018 5:17 pm ...
- All new topics created in this forum should be made only to recommend a rule erratum or clarification for the upcoming 2019 Annual Rules Vote (to take place in June 2019). The deadline for submissions is TBD, but will likely be sometime in March or April of 2019.
Hi Guys. Are there any updates on when the vote will happen?

How much notice will we be given?

Thanks everyone.

Return to “2019 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”