Deep Mines

Any rule erratum or clarification submission for the upcoming 2018 ARV should be posted here.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Antonio has a mean One Ring characterless deck, just dumping resources on the table (Armories etc), while waiting for characters to appear at Lórien, then Lucky Search for a ring at Mount Doom with an almost empty playdeck. He's been making lots of friends with this deck :-)
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I wonder what he does with it after Lucky Searching, since none of the dunk cards would be legally playable . . . :)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Apr 30, 2018 8:03 am If you want to make possible a moving to Deep Mines from site connected via Gnawed Ways, then remove first "only". :)
Wouldn't the text of Gnawed Ways over-ride the Deep Mines text which states "may move to this site only from one of your...."?

After all, Gnawed Ways specifically states it is played on a Deep Mines site and that it creates an adjacent under-deeps site.

Or is your opinion that Gnawed Ways only creates a one-way adjacent site given the way Deep Mines is worded (meaning you can only leave the Deep Mines site, but cannot enter it using Gnawed Ways)?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

the Jabberwock wrote: Thu May 31, 2018 6:07 am Or is your opinion that Gnawed Ways only creates a one-way adjacent site given the way Deep Mines is worded (meaning you can only leave the Deep Mines site, but cannot enter it using Gnawed Ways)?
Yes.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
dirhaval

I like to look at the intent of Deep Mines for fallen-wizards through the lens of the canon.
Saruman first needed the confidence of security before any mining. Thus, Saruman was not a wandering
wizard anymore and likely stayed at Isengard or nearby annoying Treebeard with walks in the forest.

I need the Deep Mines card to keep the protected wizardhaven requirement to give fallen-wizards access to the richness of the Under-deeps.
However, moving "up" to a replay surface site after the surface site has been discarded (e.g. Call of Home discarding lone character, Hidden Haven, and Guarded Haven) is acceptable to me.

However, I like to note that movement (by the card owner) to the Deep Mines requires a protected Wizardhaven AND from that protected Wizardhaven. Thus, shuttling between Deep Mines and a replay non-protected Wizardhaven is not possible.

Gnawed Ways though allows moving away from a non-surface sited Deeps Mines, but not returning to that non-Wizardhaven protected surface site Deep Mines. Gnawed Ways nullifies this requirement for an opponent moving to an opponent's Deep Mines.
gkg

The proposed wording "this site" is ambiguous and points to the actual Deep Mines card at first glance rather than the site that is a protected Wizardhaven.
I hope this change will not go through with this wording. Please, try to come up with better wording if you want me (& possibly other likeminded voters) to consider the suggested rule change.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

What wording would be better?
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

gkg wrote: Sun Jun 24, 2018 7:01 pm The proposed wording "this site" is ambiguous and points to the actual Deep Mines card at first glance rather than the site that is a protected Wizardhaven.
I hope this change will not go through with this wording. Please, try to come up with better wording if you want me (& possibly other likeminded voters) to consider the suggested rule change.
Thanks for your input. I did not think it was confusing because Deep Mines can't be its own surface site, so it appears obvious "this site" is referring to the Wizardhaven site. Even so, perhaps the wording could be better... maybe "The site moved from is the surface site for Deep Mines..."?
gkg

"The site moved from is the surface site for Deep Mines..." is much clearer.
But we probably cannot change that for this vote :(

Exactly, being its own surface site, or being a representative of the surface site while there is a hypothetical Deep Mines not represented by a physical card are some of the weirdness the "This site" can lead to. I agree that logical discussion would lead to the right outcome, but hate issuing an imperfect Errata...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

gkg wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:36 pm "The site moved from is the surface site for Deep Mines..." is much clearer.
If "This site is the surface site for Deep Mines" may be read by someone that the Deep Mines is its own surface site, then "The site moved from is the surface site for Deep Mines" may be read by someone that a site connected by Gnawed Ways is the Deep Mines surface site (if the Deep Mines is moved from so connected site).
gkg

Good point ;)
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

gkg wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 1:36 pm "The site moved from is the surface site for Deep Mines..." is much clearer.
But we probably cannot change that for this vote :(
Indeed, definitely too late to change it for this year's vote.
Konrad Klar wrote: Mon Jun 25, 2018 3:26 pm If "This site is the surface site for Deep Mines" may be read by someone that the Deep Mines is its own surface site, then "The site moved from is the surface site for Deep Mines" may be read by someone that a site connected by Gnawed Ways is the Deep Mines surface site (if the Deep Mines is moved from so connected site).
Yes, good point. Getting the language just right on this one is tricky.
rezwits
Council Member

IDK

I read the card in a different light after all this, and some other discussion.

The only restriction I see is this (in bold):

A company may MOVE TO THIS SITE ONLY from one of your protected Wizardhavens [W] and only if you have more than 6 stage points. The protected Wizardhaven is the surface site for Deep Mines (i.e., the SITES are adjacent and the movement roll required to move between them is 0). You receive the three stage points if any of your companies are at the site. May be duplicated in a location deck. "'The lodes lead away north towards Carahadras, and down into darkness.'"-LotRII

Meaning you need to have:
A protected Wizardhaven
and 6 stage points.
TO MOVE TO DEEP MINES.

What happens if you go below 6 stage pts? This clause doesn't seem to care
What happens if you don't leave someone behind? It's just saying at the "time" it NEEDS to be Protected, and says it's the Surface Site.

So to me I pretend the Deep Mines card, gets "Isengard (0)" imprinted on that deep mines card.
It won't say "Protected Wizardhaven Isengard" or any of that.

Just like when you are at say The Under-leas, that doesnt say:

Minion The Under-grottos (7), or Hero The Under-grottos (7), it just says The Under-grottos (7) ? 🤷‍♂️

The Under-grottos (7), is a R&L...

just an example...

i.e. it won't say IMPRINTED on the card in imaginary understanding: Protected Wizardhaven Isengard (0), on your Deep Mines card, it'll just say Isengard (0), i.e. the surface site...

oh and BTW, The Way is Shut, clearly make the distiction between "A company moving to or from an Under-deeps"

So this card needs a NetRep, Clarification or something.
Because if Radagast's Haven, get's all the perks, and some kind of imaginary LINK to Rhosgobel and doesn't NEED the actual SITE to stay in play with someone, I don't see why there isn't a LINK/BOND created with this sentence: (i.e., the SITES are adjacent...)
As of 4/3/21 4:03:21
my current rulings foundation is based on:
All of the rules and rulings found in these PDFs at:
https://cardnum.net/rules
If you have other collected rulings that are not
listed please feel free to email them or PM me...
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

rezwits wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:57 am I don't see why there isn't a LINK/BOND created with this sentence: (i.e., the SITES are adjacent...)
Because (intentionally or not) ICE decided to say that a company may move to this site only from one of your protected Wizardhavens and stated that The protected Wizardhaven is the surface site for Deep Mines. So for surface site a requirement of being protected Wizardhaven has been repeated.

There is an errata, that removes the requirement of being protected Wizardhaven for surface site.
https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 144&t=3376
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Konrad Klar wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 8:29 am
rezwits wrote: Wed Nov 14, 2018 3:57 am I don't see why there isn't a LINK/BOND created with this sentence: (i.e., the SITES are adjacent...)
Because (intentionally or not) ICE decided to say that a company may move to this site only from one of your protected Wizardhavens and stated that The protected Wizardhaven is the surface site for Deep Mines. So for surface site a requirement of being protected Wizardhaven has been repeated.

There is an errata, that removes the requirement of being protected Wizardhaven for surface site.
https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 144&t=3376
Correction - This erratum did not pass and is not effective. Thus you will not see it on the Master List of CoE issued errata:
https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 103&t=3541

While the proposed erratum did easily pass the popular vote, it had 3 acting Council Members vote against the measure, which is more than 1/3 of the Council (3 of 8 members). This ballot item was one of three in the 2018 ARV deemed as "Status Quo" items. Per the Charter, any Status Quo item may not have more than 1/3 of Council Members voting against in order to pass. The failure of this measure to pass was announced here:
https://councilofelrond.org/forum/viewt ... 144&t=3444

Return to “2018 Annual Rules Vote - Submissions”