Charter rewrite

thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Indeed anybody can make several accounts. I don't see how you would moderate that, there's no way to check for it, other than asking for multiple references, but even so I could make several fake (email) accounts together with a buddy of mine and tell you we'd know all these ficticious persons.
we can put a name to each emailaddress (= forum account). we send out a message asking for the name, and only those are allowed to take part in votings that have submitted their identy.
well, quite inconvenient i guess. and of course there is still the possibility of cheating.

but this possibility was always there, also in the past when voting for the COE for example.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

The CoE charter currently works with amendments. This is an american/british approach, it shows respect to and a link with history, but it is not very user friendly. I agree with making a new draft and leave the old charter as a document on the webpage.

we should complete such a draft before new elections, and let each possible candidate make clear their position on it. I think we should not put the charter up for voting by the community, but rather politicize the election. The only real thing changing with the new charter is the ratification-proces of new rules/errata.
While this is an important issue, it is also a single issue, so best seize the opportunity of the election for it. Besides, the old charter says nothing about needing community consent for changes made to the charter: that is the difference between making amendments and issuing a new charter :wink:
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Thorsten the Traveller wrote: we should complete such a draft before new elections, and let each possible candidate make clear their position on it. I think we should not put the charter up for voting by the community, but rather politicize the election.
i would rather finish the whole process now, before the next COE term starts.
new COE, new Memebers, new discussions (going over the same arguments) has a big chance to make the change tedious.
Thorsten the Traveller wrote: The only real thing changing with the new charter is the ratification-proces of new rules/errata.
there are certainly more:
unistalling the Silent Tower list, the COE appointing Worlds, 2years period, ... (just to name a few that come to my mind instantly)
Thorsten the Traveller wrote: While this is an important issue, it is also a single issue, so best seize the opportunity of the election for it.
why not seizing the opportunity of having people vote for 2 things:
- the new COE
- the approval (or not) of the new charter.
Thorsten the Traveller wrote: Besides, the old charter says nothing about needing community consent for changes made to the charter: that is the difference between making amendments and issuing a new charter :wink:
if so, i consider this a major flaw. cause slowly you could change everythin in the charter step by step, calling it an amendment each time.

Return to “Council Business - Agenda Items”