Worlds 2007 Qualifier Tourney

zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

It seems at the moment that only about 10-15 people will play the the qualifier tournament in NYC this summer. Of those, approximately 8 will advance to the semi-finals on Saturday, leaving 2-7 people out of the running. This seems kinda harsh to me. I'm considering canceling the qualifiers and just throwing everyone in to the main event on Saturday. Another benefit of doing things this way is that more people will be able to participate in the VC tournament on Friday.

Thoughts?
http://www.alfanos.org
Manuel
Council Chairman

Although I am not going to NY (unfortunately) I agree 100% with you Mark. It's a better idea to have everyone playing together, and to encourage Virtual Cards.
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

yep, if the number of players is like this, that´s definately the better way to go!
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

IF it remains like this, agreed. If the number of participants starts to grow, inform us so we may revoke this.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
jhunholz
Ex Council Chairman

Sounds like a good idea to me.
Sfan
Ex Council Member

If the number of participants those not grow too large I am fine, too.
Tegarend

Agreed if I get a bye to sunday then.
|Highwayman|

I won't be going to the Worlds as the trip to USA itself is WAAAAAY above my budget, and also I doubt any players from Poland show up there but I'd like to share my opinion about this with you guys

I don't really get why do you need a qualifier then semi-finals and after that the finals - this way lost of people are left out in the end. What are they doing when the rounds they're not in are being played through? Watching and cheering or playing other less-prestigious (but possibly as much, or even more entertaining) tourneys?
Why don't you use the Swiss system and have the whole MECCG World Championships Tournament in one day and during the other days of the event have some other mini-tournaments?

I'm not trying to make you guys any changes to the current Worlds programme, I just want to know the reasons behind the format you use (so that we in Poland can make better events that will attract more international interest)
Going ever under dark,
Having the clouded sky above me -
And pale nothingness beneath me,
I see a light in the distant darkness,
It beckons me in and I accept it's invitation...
jhunholz
Ex Council Chairman

Tegarend wrote:Agreed if I get a bye to sunday then.
LOL! (read his whole comment to see what's funny).
Tegarend

jhunholz wrote:
Tegarend wrote:Agreed if I get a bye to sunday then.
LOL! (read his whole comment to see what's funny).
[trashtalk]It's going to be that way anyway - why not cut to the chase and skip the formalities?[/trashtalk]

Return to “Misc Topics - Council of Elrond section”