Agenda Item 2009/10: Worlds 2010

marcos
Council Member

Is it time to start bidding for worlds 2010, or is it too soon already? Anyways, i am willing to do it in Argentina.

Best
Marcos
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

Do you have a proposal for us to review?
marcos
Council Member

Sauron wrote:Do you have a proposal for us to review?
will post it in the next days, today i meet with some friends to organize first details. But as a preview i can tell that i'd like to organize it at a place away from city, since Argentina has some very nice landscapes wich i'd like foreign players to enjoy. The place chosen is called "aldea Rivendell" (Rivendell village), it is very thematic, here are some pictures outdoors and indoors of such site:

more details coming soon...
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

THere is booze for the drinking game ;)
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

How's the weather in july over there?
Thing is, I don't know if the title Worlds attrackts people anymore. Dispite Joe's letter and all, Worlds is not a crowd magnet.

Not that I'm opposed to putting a cool event in Argentina under the Worlds umbrella, but I for one also suggested Argentina because people might like to go there once for a cool trip. I know I would. So the non-meccg related circumstances are important.

But does Worlds necessarily have to take place in the June-August months? For most of us on the northern hemisphere that means summer holidays, so, yes. I'm not bound to that, personally, and would rather see an event in November-Januari, skiing in Argentina might sound cool too, but I'd rather see some of the country in bloom.

All I'm saying is, if Worlds is in Argentina, we need a damn good flyer to get people to go there.
these pictures already help alot though, seems like a really cool venue :D
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:How's the weather in july over there?
Thing is, I don't know if the title Worlds attrackts people anymore. Dispite Joe's letter and all, Worlds is not a crowd magnet.

Not that I'm opposed to putting a cool event in Argentina under the Worlds umbrella, but I for one also suggested Argentina because people might like to go there once for a cool trip. I know I would. So the non-meccg related circumstances are important.

But does Worlds necessarily have to take place in the June-August months? For most of us on the northern hemisphere that means summer holidays, so, yes. I'm not bound to that, personally, and would rather see an event in November-Januari, skiing in Argentina might sound cool too, but I'd rather see some of the country in bloom.

All I'm saying is, if Worlds is in Argentina, we need a damn good flyer to get people to go there.
these pictures already help alot though, seems like a really cool venue :D
july is winter here, so weather might be a bit cold (at least for us), Bernd gave me the idea of making it during spring wich would give us a very good weather. Something around September/October...

I Agree with most of the thoughts by Eric here and i will try to make it as attractive for tourist as i could. I already started to contact some places where to sleep and organize the main event, hope to get repplies soon, and we are trying to make it near some touristic place, so it will not be all meccg

more details still to come
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Ringbearer wrote:THere is booze for the drinking game ;)
Worlds Argentina. Case closed. :wink:
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

marcos, what would be the nearest airport?
marcos
Council Member

Alter Tuk wrote:marcos, what would be the nearest airport?
Cordoba has its own International Airport wich is located at 9 kms from the center of the city. Once in the city i'd like to get all people togheter and go by bus (or car if we have enough cars) to the chosen location for the event
marcos
Council Member

on the other hand, tickets from Europe to Buenos Aires might be cheaper, then you can come by bus to Cordoba, aprox $100 ARG pesos and 10 hours traveling...
marcos
Council Member

Last news about this topic:

So far i got a nice place near a touristic town that will cost us $1500 ARG pesos (1 euro = 5,7 pesos) for the entire weekend for all the people coming. They rent us 3 cabins with 2 bedrooms each, easily 18 persons can fit there using 3 persons per room. I think it is kinda cheap, this is the web page unfortunately in spanish, but you can see the pictures: www.bosquencantado.com.ar
Balin
Ex Council Member

Nice place indeed, Marcos. I like the idea, but I am a bit worried about how many people will be there to play Worlds. How many Argentinian players do you think will go? If you can get enough national players (maybe 10 or so) it could be worth it, because, you know, I'm afraid very few Europeans will make it. Here in Spain I'll try, and maybe 1 or 2 more guys too, but that's all since flights are quite expensive.

Concerning dates, fall sounds ok for me if that means good weather.
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!
marcos
Council Member

well, players is always the main problem nowadays, not only for worlds but for every tournament. just look at the last DC tournament, or teams registered for nations cup so far, or look at last GCCG championships and compare with the previous years, i also heard from Manu that you had the same problem in your last nationals. What i mean is that getting a lot of players is a big issue, that is why we try to offer something different, something more related to a turistic point of view.
Even then, if we are talking about worlds, we can get 10 national players easily.

I think it will be nice to know who has the chance to make the trip here, so we can count how many people will be coming and evaluate if it is worthy or not, i know that flights are a bit expensive but you wont have much problem here with money, i think you will find everything quite cheap (for you that comes with Euros) ... I heard from Heiner and Wolfgang that they would come, and also heard from Bernd and Eric as a possibility...
marcos
Council Member

so I heard that at Lure X council has approved this. Now, shall we have a "Worlds 2010" subforum?
I'd like to make some "official" announcements :)
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Worlds Cordoba and Euros Rome was appreciated by the council members that attended the Lure and it was officially announced by Wolfgang. I personally cant make it to worlds (again)! :cry:

Return to “Misc Topics - Council of Elrond section”