drop outs at worlds ...

thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

i would like to bring up a topic, that caused some bitter taste during worlds (which was still great fun for all of us!)
having seen the tourney sheets, there have been 4 drop outs after the first 2 rounds of the semi finals.
there have been 5 player with 20 TPs after 5 rounds. only one of them i sable to get the 4th slot for the finals. heiner has been lucky, that he didnt play any of the drop outs, so he had a very good opponent score and made it to the finals (and nobody will disagree, that heiner is a worthy finalist!).

so imo it is a matter of sportsmanship to continue to play in a tourney, even if the chances to make it to the finals isnt valid any longer.
there ARE good reasons for dropping, eg if someone doesnt feel well. but generally, when i start a tourney, i know how many rounds there are going to be.
all of us like to win, but its also for the fun of playing a MECCG game. and i can have fun in every single game without thinking of any rankings and results!

when we have been talking about this, others told me, that this problem is very much alive in magic. there it is usual that players beg their opponents (after loosing in the first rounds) to continue to play.

i really dont like a scenario like this for MECCG!
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

I agree with you, Wolfgang. Dropping out of such a tournament may have good reasons but IF somebody drops out due to a lack of interest in finnishing the tournament its a shame. You travel to somewhere to play this game and then lose lust? Strange... We dont meet that often to play such tournaments and if we do every game is fun no matter in which ranking region you play (at least thats the way I experienced it).

And I like to add that the "opponents MP tie breaker" system is stupid at all because the amount of MP that a player scored in a game or tournament doesnt say necessarily something about the strength of this player.

For example: Why should a player with a deck that scores generally less MP per game (like the Eriador Speed Deck that Mark played or a Dunking Deck) be a weaker opponent? Or another one: There are deck strategies that base upon desctruction (like Akhorahil Malady or CVCC decks). If I play such a deck my opponents will score less MP but that doesnt mean that they are weaker. The same opponent will score much more MP in games with my competitors.

Furthermore I dont understand the sense of trying to keep my opponents on low MP and then loose with this tie breaker because they didnt score enough MP.

However I dont have a better solution yet. Best would be a play off between the equal ranked players but that would mean a 6th round in bigger tournaments. Dont even think of an uneven number of equals...
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
Balin
Ex Council Member

A couple of ideas come to my mind:

1. If you drop out and don't have a good reason to explain it, you get no tournament prizes.

2. A special prize (something funny) is given to the player who gets last position in the tourney... drops out not included, of course.

Cheers.
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!
marcos
Council Member

Balin wrote:A couple of ideas come to my mind:

1. If you drop out and don't have a good reason to explain it, you get no tournament prizes.

2. A special prize (something funny) is given to the player who gets last position in the tourney... drops out not included, of course.

Cheers.
I agree with Agus, actually at argentinian nats, we gave a blank card for the last position :lol:
it was quite fun
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

You'd think that such things were more common in new games with a big scene :?

As was once suggested somewhere, a place to aggregate all official tournament results could perhaps have some use here also. It is difficult to question people's reasons for dropping out, but if there is an emerging pattern of certain people dropping out a lot, you can at least spot it and try to use a personal approach. Yes, naming and shaming do not belong to a nice and friendly game of meccg, but neither does this unsportsman like behaviour I suppose.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.

Return to “Misc Topics - Council of Elrond section”