[Virtual Suggestion] Galadriel

Mirdhynn

Hello.
I am new to this forum but I play MECCG since its beginning. So I will try to proposed a new virtual card on Galadriel (please excuse me for my english)

Original text :

Galadriel

TYPE: Character
RARITY: R
RACE: Elf
SKILLS: Scout/Sage/Diplomat
HOME_SITE: Lorien
MP: 3
MIND: 9
INFLUENCE: 4
PROWESS: 3
BODY: 10
CORRUPTION: 0
ARTIST: Angus McBride
RANDOM#: 10
Unique. When Galadriel is at Lorien, her controlling player may keep one
more card than normal in his hand. -3 marshalling points if eliminated.

This is my favorite character in tolkien's books. But in MECCG, I really have difficulties to play her in a competitive way. The main problems are her high mind and her low prowess. Comparing to Elrond or Cirdan, she is less usefull as her homologs can go into an active play game.
The idea of ice which become more and more present along the extensions is that Galadriel never leaves lorien and uses her mirror to help the free peoples (sounds good -> like in the books).
In terms of game, nobody want to leave half his general influence used by a character for a non active play. So what can we do for Galadriel?
We cannot maker her a great warrior, it is not really fluff. So I think we can act on her mind. In MECCg, the mind is a sort of cost : a great character have usually a great mind. but it is also a characteristic which is used in some cards (fireworks etc...)
So what I propose is not to give her a lesser mind but to increase her squatting personality / capabilities:

first proposition :
more card than normal in his hand and you get +3 to your general influence.
-3 marshalling points if eliminated.

second proposition :
more card than normal in his hand. -3 marshalling points if eliminated.
When she is at Lorien, tap Galadriel to search Mirror of Galadriel,
Show Things Unbidden, Nenya or Three Golden Hairs in your play deck.

third proposition :
A litlle bit of the two first propositions.

I never tested these dream versions so I am not able to say if it is too powerfull or not. What do you think about it ?
marcos
Council Member

hmm... second version looks a bit overpowered for one ring decks. The first one is kind of nice, let's see if it has the approval of the VC development team
Mirdhynn

In my opinion, the first one is a little too weak, it remains 6 general influence used for nothing (just getting one more card). that's why I think a mix of the two propositions should be better. But as I have never tested it, I cannot know.

Another proposition should be to give to celeborn a +1 direct influence against Galadriel to enable him to control her with just an elf stone (and so at the begining of the game). But there, we will have two characters sitting at lorien...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Mirdhynn wrote:The idea of ice which become more and more present along the extensions is that Galadriel never leaves lorien and uses her mirror to help the free peoples (sounds good -> like in the books).
In terms of game, nobody want to leave half his general influence used by a character for a non active play. So what can we do for Galadriel?
I have seen several decks based on this idea. As far as active Galadriel goes, her 10 body makes her the most unkillable character heroes have. Scout and Diplomat actually aren't bad when you consider cards like Flatter a Foe, A Nice Place to Hide, etc. Nenya is useful with either an active or passive Galadriel.

Why would I use her instead of Elrond or Cirdan? In terms of passive decks, she has more squatting abilities, and in terms of active decks, she is the only one of those characters that can be controlled by a non-wizard (Elf Stone+Gold Belt or Emerald of Doriath). I think she's sufficiently strong and balanced as is.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

I agree with b_took. Take a look at my Galadriel deck to see how she can work for you.
http://www.alfanos.org
Mirdhynn

I am not sure to be agree with you and I will try to explain :D :

On the topic of an active Galadriel :
She have a body of 10 Ok she will probably never die, but her low prowess is really a problem : a single cave drake will hurt her hardly. Sure she will not be killed but you will take 2 turns to heal and untap her. Which is not a problem for a secundary character in your strategy but if she is the central one :?
I think it's the main problem with Galadriel : You cannot really center a deck on her like you will do with Aragorn for example.

For the purpose of the scout hability, I am Ok with you. I also made a deck based on her skills : here
Zarathustra wrote: Play Tips:
Galadriel waits for Celeborn at Lorien. They become 6 mind worth of 5 MP squatting sages playing Mirror, Show Things Unbidden, Marvels, Nenya....
Here again you get something which have no more personality than a simple permanent event.

While exposing my thoughts, I realize that the principal issue with Galadriel is that she doesn't really fit a precise role : too "expensive" to only squat at Lorien, and not so strong to move in the middle earth.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Flatter a Foe makes short work of Cave-Drakes.

Low Prowess is a drawback, yes, but mitigated by Nenya and by Celeborn (and if you're going with active Galadriel, Celeborn's a natural). Since she can be controlled by a 6-mind character and retain her for unused DI, her strengths and weaknesses balance out. Heck, just hand her Glamdring and she has a very respectable 6 prowess. About the only problem is River, but that's the universal problem of Middle Earth, even in Gorgoroth. :)
Nerdmeetsyou

Here is my Question:
WHY do we need an active Galadriel...
why should she leave lorien?

I think we don't need a better galadriel... but maybe just some other things she can do in lorien while she is there...
(a good start is the V-card cup of farwell)
and things like SHOW things unbidden... are already very good...
(allthough nearly nobody has one...*G*)
maybe we should make another card for galadriel... instead of enhancing herself...
and IF we enhance herself... maybe we should make just the following to give her more flavour:
let her how she is... and add: If Galadriel is in your starting company, your characters may start at lorien.

maybe something else to add would be: If Galadriel is in your starting company. You may start with Cup of Farewell in play instead of a minor iteam.
Mirdhynn

I am agree with you as this is the way ICE seemed to go with her.
I think a start card shoud be a good idea as you can gain benefit of Galadriel since the beginning but good permanent events shoul be very usefull.

I just have another ideas :

New card
Permanent event
Playable if Galadriel is in play and under your control. Your companies can begin the game at Lorien.
You may start the game with this card in lieu of playing a minor item.

Why not something on the mirror of galadriel card :
just change to :
Permanent event.
Only playable on Galadriel if at Lorien.
You may tap Galadriel to look at your opponent's hand.
Galadriel makes a corruption check modified by -1.
Discard if Galadriel Moves.
Nerdmeetsyou

I would like the Mirror card be affected by gates of Morning...
like:

Permanent event.
Only playable on Galadriel if at Lorien.
You may tap Galadriel to look at your opponent's hand.
If Gates of Morning are in Play. Take one hazard card and shuffle it into this players deck.
Galadriel makes a corruption check modified by -1.
Discard if Galadriel Moves.

Maybe make it an Event then... because it might be too powerfull otherwise
Nerdmeetsyou

Here another suggestion for the improvement of galadriel...
without making something that is too similar to the show things unbidden:

Mirror of Galadriel
MP: 0
Special Iteam
Uniqu
Only playable by Galadriel at Lorien.
Your opponent must play with 4 cards from hand revealed.
Whenever he plays or discards one of these cards, he must choose to reveal anotherone from his hand.
Discard Mirror of Galadriel if Galadriel Moves or changes bearer.
CP: 1
Last edited by Nerdmeetsyou on Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mirdhynn

This is a good idea. perhaps add "Unique"
Nerdmeetsyou

yeah for sure... uniqu would be sensefull...

Return to “Showcase”