[Virtual Suggestion] Hold Rebuilt and Repaired

Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Minion Resource Permanent Event
(3) MPs.

May not be played by the Balrog. Playable during the site phase at Geann-a-Lisch. Your company faces 3 attacks (Men -- 5 strikes at 8 prowess, Dunedain (cannot be cancelled) -- 3 strikes at 10 prowess, Maia -- 1 strike at 15 prowess). After these attacks, tap a sage or discard this card. Geann-a-Lisch is now considered a Darkhaven for all purposes and during all phases of your turn. Characters otherwise legally playable may be played at Geann-a-Lisch. Creatures keyed to a Ruins and Lairs may no longer be keyed to Geann-a-Lisch. A covert company may use starter movement between Geann-a-Lisch and Minas Morgul using the following path: WBBWSSWS. Cannot be duplicated.
Jambo

Nice card! Is there any history of Geann-a-Lisch being frequented by Maia? (just wondering why the Maia attack)
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Well, Saruman's right next door in the Gap of Isen, and I figured he'd have some strong objections to this even as a fallen wizard. More generally, you'd have to figure on at least one wizard figuring out what's going on and attempting to stop it.

Gameplay-wise, I wanted a single big prowess strike as the final one. Maia seemed to fit the bill; the first attack can be Ranked for a buff, the second Chilled (which makes it potentially the nastiest one), and third Alatar-ed.
Leon

I find this a nice card, but wouldn't you make the third attack 2x13 like the wizard creatures? Also as it is now I assume the card is never discarded, I would find this fitting. Was it meant this way?
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The 1 at 15 strike is meant to simulate normal Wizardly Interference. Since Saruman the Wise can already attack a company at or moving to Geann-a-Lisch, it hardly seems fair to make the attack for this card any tougher than that, though the attack is buffable by Alatar for a 2 at 16 -- deadlier than 3 at 14, but a greater chance of leaving a character untapped.

And though the card would be playable at Geann-a-Lisch, it is not played on Geann-a-Lisch, so you don't have to worry about keeping somebody at the site. So, never discarded because it is a permanent event.

Though "Cannot be duplicated" should be modified to read "Cannot be duplicated as a Virtual Card," so that the normal Hold Rebuilt would not interfere.
Leon

One other thing. If Geann a Lisch is raised to haven status with this card I would find it fitting that any minion company can move there, but preferably from Dol Guldur with path dswbbw.

Minas Morgul is a bit too far away, similar to the case that there is no link between hero Rivendell and Edhellond or Lorien and Grey Havens. Currently there is no movement allowed more than 6 regions in one movement or at most 7 with starter if I am correct (Lorien-Cirith Gorgor wbfwsdd) I would not go over this current record.

Also I do not see the need for a sage untapped. Any guy untapped is hard enough I would think. Perhaps the bonuses of having an extra haven are good enough to reduce the number of mp of this card, but that is something for playtesting.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

My conerns on those scores are balance -- Dol Guldur already connects to both Carn Dum and Minas Morgul. Connecting it to a third haven would be like connecting Lorien to Edhellond (same concern as you, but different approach.)

And I used a Sage because Carn Dum, Minas Morgul, and Dol Guldur are all considered places of dark magic -- it would take a Sage to institute the same kind of corruption necessary.
Leon

I do not think it is unbalanced to connect Geann-a-Lisch to Dol Guldur. For hero's only a couple of sites are near the Grey Havens and more than 1/3 is near Lorien, so that is basically unbalanced as well.

Also I would think that the reconstitution of a haven in Geann-a-Lisch is mainly a matter of power, be it magical or force of arms.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Nice V card Bandobras, of course Geann-a-Lisch is an ICE invention (more or less), but still this makes more thematic coastal play feasable.

The dunadain can't be cancelled, but the maia can? why's that? usually the maia can't be cancelled either (Tom, Sauron). Also along Rhosgobel lines, 2@13 would perhaps be better (never mind Saruman, Alatar could be there as well, or Pallando).

I like the difficult requirements for rebuilding this site, makes it more than just a useful support card, more like a mission. Establishing a dark-hold there (analogous to Creb Durga in Cardolan) is not easy, it would take more than bricks, some source of evil is needed indeed, perhaps even a scorcery using char? (most if not all of them are sages too, I just don't like the idea of Wormtongue rebuilding this site with three orc brawlers and some sly southerners :lol: )

I don't understand the nearest haven issue discussed here, what exactly do you need the starter for, this is for a coastal deck, and you can play chars after you rebuild here, you can store stuff, heal, why move away? Storing at Barad-dur? pauze in Anorien, bit more dangerous and can't heal, but hey it is dangerous territory!, either you pass a Fallen Wizard, a forest with ents and a forest with Elves, or an open country with horseriders and a dunadan city, you choose! Therefore I think the covert option Minas Morgul is best. How covert can you be wearing the one-ring however, or carrying along a palantir or some hobbits?
Anyway, using the hero analogy, the 4 havens are in a square and the diagonals can't be travelled directly, that means no travelling to Dol Guldur.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The dunadain can't be cancelled, but the maia can? why's that? usually the maia can't be cancelled either (Tom, Sauron). Also along Rhosgobel lines, 2@13 would perhaps be better (never mind Saruman, Alatar could be there as well, or Pallando).
Because Dunedain attacks ought to be more scary than they are. :)

Return to “Showcase”