[V Suggestion] Lost in Wilderness/Border-lands/Shadow-lands

Jambo

Here are a few suggestions for the rubbish "Lost in..." hazards:

[V] Lost in [the] Wilderness/Border-lands/Shadow-lands
Hazard long event
Non-avatar characters may not be brought into play at any non-haven site that has a [W/B/S] in its site path. May not be duplicated.

Not sure what type of event to make these "Lost in" cards - short, long or permanent? Any thoughts?

Edited based on suggestions.
Last edited by Jambo on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:19 am, edited 5 times in total.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

This is very strong against heroes and Fallen-wizards! I think you should at least restrict it to non-avatar characters. Even then, however, it's much nastier to hero/fw than to minion or, for that matter, minion-Balrog.

It's also kinda scatter-shot.... you have to hope that during your opponent's next org phase he'll want to play a character....

In any case, many of the resource versions of these cards have already been virtualized. Perhaps you could make the hazard versions complementary?
http://www.alfanos.org
Jambo

Edited it to mention "non-avatar" for characters and "non-haven" for sites. That should help a little.

This post covers three cards - Lost in the Wilderness, Lost in Border-lands and Lost in Shadow-lands in case anyone thought I was squashing them all into one.
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

I would add a sort of clausule that they remain playable at their homesite:

V] Lost in [the] Wilderness/Border-lands/Shadow-lands
Hazard long event
Non-avatar characters may not be brought into play at any non-haven site that has a [W/B/S] in its site path, unless its their home-site.. May not be duplicated.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Jambo

zarathustra wrote:It's also kinda scatter-shot.... you have to hope that during your opponent's next org phase he'll want to play a character....
Partly yes, but it will also prevent characters being brought into play using Chance Meeting or WHCtK, so it's not just "scatter-shot."
Ringbearer wrote:I would add a sort of clausule that they remain playable at their homesite:
Adding the homesite clause would massively weaken the hazards - do others agree this should be added?
Jambo

Here's a different idea on the theme:

Lost in the Wilderness
Short event
Playable on a moving company with at least one wilderness in its site path. Make a roll, adding 2 for each wilderness region in the site path and subtracting 2 if there's a Ranger in the company. If the result is greater than 8, you may replace company's new site card with a different site from your location deck that is located in the same region or an adjacent region as the company's new site.

Note there's no multiple Ranger benefit so as not to further necessitate the need for having "multiple Rangers" in any company that wants to move...

Edited for typo!
Last edited by Jambo on Wed Feb 21, 2007 9:37 am, edited 2 times in total.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Jambo wrote:Here's a different idea on the theme:

Lost in the Wilderness
Short event
Playable on a moving company with at least one wilderness in its site path. Make a roll, adding 2 for each wilderness region in the site path and subtracting 2 is there's a Ranger in the company. If the result is greater than 8, you may replace company's new site card with a different site from your location deck that is located in the same region or an adjacent region as the company's new site.

Note there's no multiple Ranger benefit so as not to further necessitate the need for having "multiple Rangers" in any company that wants to move...
I do actually like this idea, but I have a few suggestions:

1) For Lost in Borderlands, have the bonus be for a Diplomat in a Hero/Covert Company. Lost in Borderlands for hero companies often means having to deal nicely with the inhabitants (for example, Gandalf & Co getting help from Beorn in the Hobbit). For minion/overt companies, make the bonus for having a Scout (representing the need to avoid guards who might chase you out of your path; e.g the Rohirrim hunting down Isengard Orcs).

2) For Lost in Shadowlands, make the bonus for a Sage -- Shadowlands tend to be arcane places (Angmar, Imlad Morgul, Dagorlad etc.); arcane knowledge would be required to safely navigate.

3) Chance of Being Lost -- there's potential overlap with that card: perhaps modifying it to boost one of the "Lost" cards?
Jambo

Nice ideas Ben. So:

Lost in Border-lands
Short event
Playable on a moving company with at least one border-land in its site path. Make a roll, adding 2 for each border-land region in the site path and subtracting 2 if there's a Diplomat or Scout in the hero or minion company, respectively. If the result is greater than 8, you may replace company's new site card with a different site from your location deck that is located in the same region or an adjacent region as the company's new site.

And:

Lost in the Shadow-lands
Short event
Playable on a moving company with at least one shadow-land in its site path. Make a roll, adding 2 for each shadow-land region in the site path and subtracting 2 if there's a Sage in the company. If the result is greater than 8, you may replace company's new site card with a different site from your location deck that is located in the same region or an adjacent region as the company's new site.

Initial thoughts -

Border-lands one is nice and demands for both hero and minion could be met fairly easily.

Shadow-lands one could be a little over-powered vs a minion company? Minion only have the possibility of two sages total (Doeth and one of two Troll leaders).

Duplication with Chance of Being Lost - in the current climate of Ranger companies, Chance of Being Lost is a no goer. I guess there's consideration as to whether a deck containing these and the customary 3 Rivers would be overpowered?

Presumably these would only be playable during "same alignment" match-ups?
Last edited by Jambo on Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Jambo wrote: Shadow-lands one could be a little over-powered vs a minion company? Minion only have the possibility of two sages total (Doeth and one of two Troll leaders).
For Ringwraith players, there's also:

Elerina
Firiel
Golodhros
The Grimburgoth
Wormtongue
Belegorn
Calendal
Ciryaher
Dorelas
Hendolen
Layos
Nain
and Pon Opar

At least a few of these can travel in an overt company.

Granted, Balrog player might have a tough time with lost in Shadowlands due to their lack of sages, but how often do you catch a Balrog company moving through multiple Shadow-lands?
Wacho

Jambo wrote:Lost in Border-lands
Short event
Playable on a moving company with at least one wilderness in its site path....

Lost in the Shadow-lands
Short event
Playable on a moving company with at least one wilderness in its site path...
Presumably you meant to have "one borderland" or "one shadowland" respectively rather than "one wilderness".

In any case I think these cards are an extremely bad idea. You'll never be able to get anywhere you are trying to go. With 3 of each of these, 3 Chances of Being Lost just for kicks, plus 3 Beorning Skin-Changers against hero, you'll wander around lost everywhere. Especially since you can play more than one of these per turn. Roadblock doesn't need to be any stronger.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I partly agree, but not entirely:

These cards don't quite qualify as roadblock, since they don't return the company to the site of origin. There's still possibilities to play something.

There's also the consideration of how many regions of a given type are going to be in a site path. All we'd need to do to make the cards okay is adjust the roll required to successfully detour a company.

Obviously, Wilderness-heavy companies are going to have the toughest time. But as for the others, you'd have to do some work to get multi-border/shadow lands.

Upon more thought, I think allowing sites in an adjacent region is a bit much. What I'd like to see is a site in the region type indicated on the cards -- somebody who gets Lost in Border-lands should end up in a Border-Land. :)

Return to “Showcase”