[V Suggestion] Hobbit-lore

Jambo

[V] Hobbit-lore
Short-event
Playable on a company at a site that contains at least one Hobbit or Gandalf. If played on a company containing a Hobbit and Gandalf is not already in play, Gandalf may be brought into play from your hand at the same site. If played on a company that contains Gandalf, one Hobbit character may be brought into play from your hand under General or Direct Influence at the same site. This does not count against the one character per turn limit.

Quote: "A Wizard is never late. He arrives precisely when he means to arrive."

(might need help on the exact wording of the quote)

Thoughts? Is Gandalf now the Hobbit master or what? ;)
Last edited by Jambo on Mon Mar 05, 2007 11:21 am, edited 2 times in total.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Maybe restrict to the org phase? Do you need to have Gandalf in your hand, or is this like Windlord? I think the Windlord interpretation makes the card too strong.
http://www.alfanos.org
Jambo

It was meant for having Gandalf or Hobbit in hand; not searching through playdeck for the character. I've edited to make that clear.
Jambo

Here's another variation of the card:

[V] Hobbit-lore
Short-event
Playable on a company containing Gandalf and a Hobbit. Tap Gandalf to untap a Hobbit or tap a Hobbit to untap Gandalf.

I actually think I like the versatility of this version more. It might actually mean Gandalf and a pile of Hobbits can become quite a viable company and able to compete with the reigning champ Radagast.
Jambo

Could always make the above a permanent event that can't be duplicated? Something alone the lines of:

[V] Hobbit-lore
Permanent-event
Playable on a company containing Gandalf and at least one Hobbit. If at a site Gandalf can tap to untap a Hobbit or a Hobbit can tap to untap Gandalf. Cannot be duplicated.

Any thoughts?
Dorfl

I like it better (more balanced, I think) as a short event.
Jambo

But then it's worse than "And Forth He Hastened"....
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

I'm more in favor of the original.
Nerdmeetsyou

I like the first submission also best... and I don't think it is overpowered also...

the other sugestions are to bad.... I would rather play the original card that this card...
sly southerner

I think it has to work only on a company already containing Gandalf to be consistent with the other cards of this type. I like the idea of beng able to bring a hobbit in at another site. I believe Gandalf originally had this ability but it was dropped in playtesting so introducing this ability as a card makes sense.

I think a Gandalf only Hobbit specific combination of A Chance Meeting with And Forth He Hastened would be well balanced if you want a short event. (ie bring in a hobbit OR untap a hobbit).

This would help overcome roadblock without making Gandalf a ranger as Gandalf could untap Sam Gamgee.

Since the original is a permanent event should the virtual card also be a permanent? If so then just the untapping a hobbit ability would be the most useful.
Nerdmeetsyou

hm... but i realy like the idear of bringing gandalf into play at the site where the hobbits are.

It is very flavourful...

like said in the flavourtext..
"A Wizard is never late. He arrives precisely when he means to arrive."

So there is another version I would like to see:

Hobbit-Lore
Short Event
Playable on a hobbit only company. Search your play deck for Gandalf and play him with this company.

(I know that the card above fits more the cycle of the five wizard cards...
and your idear is much more useful....
mybe we could make a second card which would do the thing I said...)

I think Gandalf realy needs improvement, as the worst wizard...
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Hmm, if it's not a perm, in either proposals, why on earth play this card? Though it might be fun to play 7 hobbits, normally you'd never have use for more then 3 or 4. So start the game with them.
If V Hobbit-lore version 1 is a short-event, the necessary timing and awful card management makes it useless, and chance meeting is a more alround choice. If version 2 is a short-event, then as Jambo says AFHH is better. Of course you could use 6 copies in total, but I don't think you would, or that that would be an interesting new strategy.
If the Grey Hat would work for V-Hobbit lore, then a short-event might be worth while.

Of course, if made perms the situation changes. Unless you could start with it, I'd still might not play version one, because 3 slots to bring in a wizard/hobbit somewhere in org.phase is not always worth it. You only play your wizard once, most of the time, and chances are you draw this card after your Wizard.
Now Version 2 does create nice versatility and offers many options. Also, I think it is more thematic, for all Gandalfs Lore, it does not mean a Hobbit might turn up all of a sudden in Southron Oasis or the Under-Caves.

But, how about other ways? Don't know if people are keen on recyclers, but how about recycling Hobbit Strength? Or, tap Gandalf to heal a hobbit to well and untapped? Something that more resembles his knowledge of Hobbits actually. (version 2 in perm. would work in this respect).
Tap Gandalf to make a hobbit pass a CC, that would be cool in connection to the One-Ring...
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Jambo

The advantage of the version in the original post is that it can be used at any site (unlike ACM or WHCtK) and it can be used for Gandalf if you have him in hand.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Yes, but like I said, you only play your wizard once (if not sacrificing), so in terms of card management, would you use up 3 slots just to be able to play Gandalf at the shadow hold you might be at? And would you like to hold on to this card, just to play your wizard there? It would work only in speed decks or decks specifically designed around a site-type (underdeeps). I think I would usually prefer either designing my deck so that Gandalf can come from a haven safely to the site, or that my Hobbits make good use of travelling to the haven (which is usually the big advantage of Gandalf, you can play him at Lorien).
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Yes, but like I said, you only play your wizard once (if not sacrificing), so in terms of card management, would you use up 3 slots just to be able to play Gandalf at the shadow hold you might be at? And would you like to hold on to this card, just to play your wizard there?
Are you kidding? Being able to bring a wizard into play at any site and have him instantly with your company without blowing a turn or having to move him by himself? Sign me up!

Return to “Showcase”