New CoE Logo / Image for Home Page

the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017, user the Jabberwock wrote:
the Jabberwock wrote:Hey guys,

One of our agenda items is to find a new image/logo for our new web page. I think it would look really nice to have some kind of artwork/mural that covers the entire home page rather than just a small section or header along the top. All of the text-based information would then be available via the various menus which will run along the top of the mural.

Ideally I think it would be fitting to have a really cool piece of artwork that actually depicts the Council of Elrond. If this is not possible, then perhaps a nice image of Rivendell would be suitable, representing the location of the Council of Elrond.

What do you guys think?

Please post with any suggestions you have. For now, do not restrict your suggestions due to copyright or proprietary material considerations. If we find an image we think is really great, but proprietary, I will look into obtaining the approval and rights to use the image for our webpage.

If you are reading this thread but are not a Council member and thus unable to post a reply, but you have a suggestion, please send me a PM with the information.

Warm Regards,

Gavin
This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, March 28, 2017, user Logain wrote:
Logain wrote:On Deviant art with a search on "Rivendell" :

Rivendell, by Aronja
It's not the kind of drawing that looks for realism but Image is nice because of symbolic and colors.

Rivendell, by Norloth
This one is nice as a symbol, i like it a lot for what we need.

Others have more realism but are less strinking for a site's front page in my opinion.
This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017, user the Jabberwock wrote:
the Jabberwock wrote:Thanks for the contributions Logain.

I like both of your suggestions. The second image is very cool, but may not work due to its vertical orientation. Currently the new web page is set up to have a horizontal orientation and the menu options will run along the top. Having an image with a vertical orientation would make things a bit awkward with this setup.

I will be posting some suggestions of my own as well.

Anyone else? Please post if you know of something you like. We are looking to have the new web page (and image) up and running in the relatively near future.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

the Jabberwock wrote:I like these...

by Jerry Vanderstelt
Rivendell-Epic-Paper-Giclee-24-x-361.jpg
Rivendell-Epic-Paper-Giclee-24-x-361.jpg (1.53 MiB) Viewed 8681 times
by Philip Straub
rivendell_by_philipstraub-d4welw4.jpg
rivendell_by_philipstraub-d4welw4.jpg (157.02 KiB) Viewed 8681 times
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017, user Vastor Peredhil wrote:
Vastor Peredhil wrote:also nice choices
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017, user thorondor wrote:
thorondor wrote:lots of mice images ofr the homepage. but non of them are apt for a logo. this one need to be much simpler.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

the Jabberwock wrote:
thorondor wrote:lots of mice images ofr the homepage. but non of them are apt for a logo. this one need to be much simpler.
Yes, I forgot about a logo, sorry, my focus has been on an image for the home page.

Where would the logo appear?
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Tuesday, April 11, 2017, user thorondor wrote:
thorondor wrote:a logo helps to catch the eye. to give an identity to the COE. and we could you it to brand some COE certified products for prizes (dice, tshirts, bags, cups, maybe even a ring) at tournaments, especially Worlds.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017, user Logain wrote:
Logain wrote:To me Norloth's art looks like it would be nice as a logo.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017, user Logain wrote:
Logain wrote:
the Jabberwock wrote:Thanks for the contributions Logain.

I like both of your suggestions. The second image is very cool, but may not work due to its vertical orientation. Currently the new web page is set up to have a horizontal orientation and the menu options will run along the top. Having an image with a vertical orientation would make things a bit awkward with this setup.
You can cut the art to make it look horizontal.

the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Wednesday, April 12, 2017, user the Jabberwock wrote:
the Jabberwock wrote:Kjeld sent me a PM with this cropped photo for our new logo.

I absolutely love it! Thanks Kjeld!

What do you guys think?

If everyone likes it, we can proceed with requesting permission to use it.

Logain - can you please find the contact information for Norloth so this can be done? Thanks
CoE Logo.png
CoE Logo.png (151.14 KiB) Viewed 8680 times
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Thursday, April 13, 2017, user Thorsten the Traveller wrote:
Thorsten the Traveller wrote:I second the choice for Norloth as a logo, could be a cool logo.

the Aronja pic could still be used as art for the website though, looks nice.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Saturday, April 15, 2017, user Shapeshifter wrote:
Shapeshifter wrote:I like the Norloth image for the logo, too.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Sunday, April 16, 2017, user the Jabberwock wrote:
the Jabberwock wrote:Gentlemen -

At the current moment, the web page image is the primary item holding up our transitioning to the new website and forum. With that said, I would like to get this wrapped up.

Wolfgang has informed me that the Norloth image will not work well for the logo. I will let him post the explanation himself.

With that said, for those of you who really like the Norloth image, you may want to give it a higher consideration for the website image since it likely won't be suitable for the logo, entirely up to you but I thought I should mention it. Also, if the Norloth image is chosen, it will be a cropped version which will display horizontally...similar to the modified version Logain posted above.

Here is what I'd like to do. I am asking each member to rank his choices of preferred image for the new website, #1 - #4, with #1 being the most desired and #4 being the least desired of the 4.

Once that is finished, I will tally points as follows: 4 points for a #1 choice, 3 points for a #2 choice, 2 points for a #3 choice, and 1 point for a #4 choice. Whichever image receives the most points will be the first one I attempt to acquire permission for us to use. If I am unable to acquire permission for the image with the highest points, I will move on to the next on list, etc.

I will go ahead and start off with my own vote below. Thanks for your attention to this matter.

My Vote:

1) Vandersteldt
2) Norloth
3) Straub
4) Aronja
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

On Sunday, April 16, 2017, user Jose-san wrote:
Jose-san wrote:1) Aronja
2) Norloth
3) Vandersteldt
4) Straub

Anyway, I would go with something more conceptual/stylized and easier to recognize. Maybe including the "CoE" legend:

- The eye in flames from the back of the cards.
- The One Ring.
- The stone from the Council of Elrond scene in the Fellowship of the Ring film where Frodo puts the ring on.

I know whould require a graphic designer or someone with enough talent to make it look good.

Return to “Completed Agenda Items”