VI. GCCG Nations Cup 2011 (Planning/Talk) 12.03

Events taking place on online platforms
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

Muad'Dib wrote:Special situation - suspect of stalling. This event is played without time limit but in my opinion this rulling
Players that Stall-If an opponent is believed to be stalling for purposeful gain, or if an opponent is believed to be stalling through a lack of respect for or sensitivity to the time limit, the player can petition the tournament coordinator to observe the game. If the coordinator observes that the opponent is stalling more than what is reasonable and necessary, the coordinator can call the game in favor of the non-stalling player.
works for all tournaments, not only for these with limit. You should respect your opponent and his time, so threating "i will play slow" is lack of decorum.

Will all opinions etc i suggest to wait till first Sauron's game. Sorry Agus but you will be a tester if your opponent plays annoyingly slow.
Sauron wrote:I'm not cheating, I'm playing legally.
Yes but its like in european football - nobody likes to play against Italy, they dont cheat but all the time use some gaps, misunderstandings etc. They dont do anything against rules but...

You are only the only one complaining, rest players play every year without word about limit. So you accept the will of majority and also play fair (without stalling) or organize your own tournament with time limit. You cant force rest people to play the way you want. Do you believe your attitude brings new players into tournament games? There are some new players on gccg but if i were them, i wouldnt play any tournament after reading this discussion.
Players that Stall-If an opponent is believed to be stalling for purposeful gain, or if an opponent is believed to be stalling through a lack of respect for or sensitivity to the time limit, the player can petition the tournament coordinator to observe the game. If the coordinator observes that the opponent is stalling more than what is reasonable and necessary, the coordinator can call the game in favor of the non-stalling player.
I ask you what is my purposeful gain as it releates to the game? Remember these are tournament rules, so as it relates to the game, what is my purposeful gain? There isn't any, so unless you want to make up a rule and DQ me you will have to. There is no purposeful gain for the game. 2 I can't be disrepecting or have no senisitivty to a time limit, if a time limit doesn't exist. This is all the rule is saying nothing more nothing less.

I play legally within the rules of the tournament, that is how I play. What is fair or unfair isn't really up for debate. A new person comes to a tournment and plays against the Balrog but has never seen it before, is that fair or unfair? It's a judgement call. I don't bother with that, that's not my call to make. I play legally within the rules specified for this tournament. I'm done arguing and debating you all have been warned year after year after year to fix the root cause of the problem but no one does. I will do as I do and you will do as you must.
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

marcos wrote:As I already said to most of you, i think Brian has a point but i don't share his way of protesting. I've also played 4-5 hours games when your opponent takes about 25 minutes per turn and it is really annoying.
Anyways, i rather stay out of the discussion this time, and wait to see what happens. And yes, it is true that he warned us of this possibilty, but still we consider that he can play in a nice way . Agus and Pawel, if you read previous years discussions i already been in both of your positions (as Brian's opponent and as tournament coordinator), i'd suggest to wait.
If you don't want to have a time limit fine, but there needs to exists a mechanism in place to handle slow play in general.
This is the real point about all this, if you ask me.
I agree with Marcos here. I too have played games against certain people where I nearly fall asleep cause of 20 minute organisation phase. And NEVER has there been action on it. I dont like the way Brian acts it out, but a few years back when he protested against slow play from trossell during antions cup nothing was done either. The game is for me fun, I talked it over with Marcos and we both hope things will not be too hectic.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Mordan

sometimes i need a lot of time in the org phase when things don't go my way or when to discard cards from my hand and all cards are important.

I consider myself a fast player.

I like the fact in nation's cup you can enjoy and not think about time limits.

When everything clicks in the game and go according to the plan, you go much faster. You actually don't have to make any decisions. Everything is on rails.

while I would like to see a mechanism to enforce time limits in timed tournaments on gccg. I don't see how you can impose time limits without software development.

timing the nation's cup defeats the purpose of playing without a time limit. just accept it or don't play the nations' cup.

How bad is the difference between 2h to 4h game ONCE per week? How many hours people waste their life watching stupid TV shows.
Muad'Dib

Remember about sending me results via PM or emails. Writing them on gccg sometimes is not good because i can be kicked out and even dont know about it (when im /away)
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Muad'Dib

I agree that maybe we should do something but Brian's way is the worst (in my opinion). Since Trossell stopped playing i dont remember any complains and didnt organize previous NCs. Anyway i think only one protester is not enough to change anything. If i saw somebody supporting Brian few weeks/motnhs ago, i would do something. But i didnt so it means the way we play is ok for the rest players. I dont see any sense in changing something when only one persion is protesting and nobody gives solution (because i have no idea how to solve this problem).
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

The Trossel-time-stalling issue is so old....

It was handeled as it should be: he was asked not to take so much time and he didnt. I played against him last year and it was an enjoyable game of about 2 hours, which is normal for a semi-final game.

As far as I know there were no other time issues in a very lot of Nations Cup games.
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
Smaug

Hello johan,

may be I can reach you on this way because you did not answer my emails till now. I can play today afternoon (saturday evening/night i am not at home) and sunday more or less whole day as well. After sunday evening I will not be able to play til next weekend due to a business travel complte next week. I think I offered you more than enough chances for playing and got not even a reply till now :-(.

Cheers

Heiner
Muad'Dib

Try to contact your opponents as soon as possible to avoid complicated situations.
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Mordan - Peregrin tonight 7 pm GMT +1
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
Smaug

Thorin - Heiner Saturday 14:00 (gmt+1) (most probably)

or friday at about 20:00 (gmt+1) in case I will be earlier enough back from business travel.

Cheers

Heiner
marcos
Council Member

Marcos - Gothmogg: today 18:30 GMT-3
marcos
Council Member

Pawel, the result is 4-2 marcos. It was a nice and tough game.
Smaug

Hi guys,

Kike (Reigning World Champion ) and me (Reigning European Champion, WC 2008 and 2010) will play tonight at 22:00 (gmt +1).
Spectators to watch the clash of the champions warmly welcomed. Enjoy :-)

Cheers

Heiner
marcos
Council Member

Mordan and I play today 18:30 gmt-3 or maybe tomorrow.
Muad'Dib

I forgot about something important. Its a last round, we can change decks for finals so watching is allowed.

Return to “Online Tournaments”