VI. GCCG Nations Cup 2011 (Planning/Talk) 12.03

Events taking place on online platforms
marcos
Council Member

i already brought that up last year, but i can't find a way to controll that everyone has already registered before the first game is played.
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

First of all: Congratulations Spain! A deserved victory.

Second: Great Nations Cup once more. Thanks to all my opponents, my team mates and all who participated.

Third: I discussed the registering issue with Muadib and I agree with marcos. There is now way to solve the problem. As it doesnt matter in finals only in semis, its ok I think. And as I saw afterwards noone took advantage of it. Lets take it as another specialty of the tournament and leave well alone.
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
Muad'Dib

Alter Tuk wrote:First of all: Congratulations Spain! A deserved victory.

Second: Great Nations Cup once more. Thanks to all my opponents, my team mates and all who participated.

Third: I discussed the registering issue with Muadib and I agree with marcos. There is now way to solve the problem. As it doesnt matter in finals only in semis, its ok I think. And as I saw afterwards noone took advantage of it. Lets take it as another specialty of the tournament and leave well alone.

Well, its possible to check it. First when you load the game you see time and date of registering the deck your and your opponent. 2nd we can give few days for players to register new decks,they can make print screen and send it to the boss of event.

Or changing decks is forbidden and we play event with the same decks, rounds and later finals. Which, i think, is best. Usually people play more cheezy in finals, fws staying at one site etc. If you have strong deck, prove it in all games :)
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Cheezy decks in finals is normal. Its the other way round: If you can change the deck you can play a more casual deck in the prelimanary round, which is for not so ambitioned players more fun to play against.
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
Mordan

Alter Tuk wrote:Cheezy decks in finals is normal. Its the other way round: If you can change the deck you can play a more casual deck in the prelimanary round, which is for not so ambitioned players more fun to play against.
indeed. there are pros and cons to keeping the same deck.

if we keep the same decks... then no watching is allowed at the last game which was kinda fun this time.

I would prefer a more unpredictable way to match players within a team that gives a sense of community. something like a draft thingy.

A date is set for the 4 final teams. At least one player of each team must be present. Usually captain (keep the captain tradition) but he may delegate if he can't be there.

2 Drafts occur. The first teams drafting is decided with a tail/lose.

Both team (captains) drafters meet and draft the match ups this way:

-each captain comes in a game room with 3 cards. each card represents a player of his team.
-the drafting card is a Balrog,Sauron/Lidless,RW,FW wizard,Wizard card that is twice in deck. (this step is optional, just like the idea of knowing it not that we are surprised anymore and if we are, we will all be surprised during the draft)
-they draft together a card/player face down and then reveal.
-3 times. This is the match up for that semi-final

Then immediately after this draft, the next semi-final draft occurs.

This could be an official event that people attend. It would be especially fun to see the alignment match ups. Again will this make any difference game wise? I don't think so. It will sure make the event attractive for everyone.
marcos
Council Member

As it doesnt matter in finals only in semis, its ok I think. And as I saw afterwards noone took advantage of it. Lets take it as another specialty of the tournament and leave well alone.
i agree with Martin, for me, it is ok the way it is.
Balin
Ex Council Member

I'd like to thank everybody for playing this tourney one more time. This NatCups thing means the only games I've played for almost a year and I had a great time.

Anyway, I must say I started to play in a bad mood because of Brian's behaviour, but finally everything went right and we could enjoy the game (I really hope that Brian will keep playing next year, with no time limit crap again).

Concerning this matter of registering decks, I'd also say let's keep it as it is. Though we could encourage people to register decks asap, just for sportmanship's sake.

See you next year!
Last edited by Balin on Tue Apr 24, 2012 8:01 am, edited 1 time in total.
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!
Manuel
Council Chairman

I would also like to thank everyone for participating and organising. For me, these have also been most of my Middle Earth games this year, and I have really enjoyed all of them, so thanks for that.

About the deck-changing stuff, I also agree with Martin and Marcos here. I wouldn't worry this much about it. It is important for some players to be able to play more-relaxed/casual decks in the first rounds where there is less pressure and then bring all the pain (cheeze) during the finals.

I would also like to ask the community one more thing. Considering the fact that we only have 6 teams next year, would you still make a final of 4 teams, or wouldn't it be more reasonable to trim it down to 2? Seems to me that qualifyng for finals this year (4 out of 6) wasnt as challenging as it used to be (4 out of 8). In my opinion, having a final confrontation between the top 2 teams should be enough.
www.meccg.com
Manuel
Council Chairman

BTW:
MVPs
1. kikeeeee 24TP (5wins)
2. Manuel 22TP (4 wins)
3. AgusBalin 21TP (5 wins)

4. Sauron 20TP (4wins)
5. Heiner 19TP (3wins)
Looks like Spain ruled this year ;-)

I would also like to let the players know that 2 of us played hero during the finals. Might as well post my decklist in here but I think most of you already know it =)
www.meccg.com
marcos
Council Member

I see some more options for the lack of teams (/players), instead of just making a final between the top 2:

a- Making a round robin (every team faces every team)
b- Make smaller teams (2 persons per team), therefore it might be possible to make more teams. This year we had 6 teams of 3 players each that makes 18 players. If we do it in teams of 2 that would make 9 teams.

Anyways, for us this year, we had the hardest time by making it into the final 4 but still i get Manuel's point.
Just my 2 cents.
Manuel
Council Chairman

Round robin sounds fine to me as long as there are no more than 6 teams. For example, this year that would have meant 5 rounds for each team, which is exactly what most of us have played. This gives more games as to the teams that don't qualify for semis, so it would be the wisest option IMO. You lose the emotion of the pairings and the finals, but results will probably be the fairest possible.

Teams of 2 people don't make sense to me as long as this is called Nations Cup. I like my three teammates and wouldn't like to face any of them in the future =D
www.meccg.com
Fangorn
Ex Council Member

I'm aware there are few teams, but it would be more fun if teams in National Cup are real nations.

For example this year there were 2 teams mixed, PolEsp and Polgium, but no Poland team !
Hrum, Hoom ! Do not be hasty, that is my motto.
marcos
Council Member

Actually 3 mixed teams. But sometimes it is really hard to make a complete team, just look at my team, we are 3 loners that wouldn't be able to play if we didn't team up.

Of course it is better if teams would be made of players within the same nation but when it isn't possible, the only way to deal with it is allowing mixed team-ups.

Return to “Online Tournaments”