IV. GCCG Nations Cup 2010 (Talk)

Events taking place on online platforms

Shall we play 4 rounds + finals when we have 8 or more teams?

Sure, CoL rules rule!
83%
Nah, 5 days are enough.
17%

Total votes: 18
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

My TR:

Round 1
AgusBalin - Sauron 5:1
Balin came out blazing with his Hog 1/2 above ground 1/2 underground [-me_sh-] deck. I was playing FW Pallando Purple Hills. Cards didn't come out right, I got wounded alot and I couldn't stop Balin. I managed to score 1 TP breaking my long record of 0 TP Sauron!

Round 2
ExarKun - Sauron 2:4
My memory is a bit fuzzy, it's been a long 5 weeks, but I believe this was another Minion vs FW Pallando. My deck worked much better this time, setting up at the worthy hills and generating tons of faction points at my various havens. In almost all my games I failed to get 1 category of points and still managed to do ok.

Round 3
Trossel - Sauron 0:6
This was one of the toughest games I played. I saw Tross' dwarves and figured One Ring, the fact he got a 7-0 in previous rounds proved he could do it. I was playing FW Rad and churning up the allies, my deck was playing well, Tross was doing well until 1 turn, where I laid into him with Rolled, Mouth, Rolled, etc. He lost all his brooches / rings. By this time it was a point/deck race, and in the end I stopped him from getting any item points and he stopped me from getting item points. I also called before he got a chance to pilfer my troll.

Round 4
AgusBalin - Sauron 2:4
This was one of the toughest games I played this tournament. I wanted revenge from the earlier beating I got. I played my Lidless Eye Lt deck versus a short rest Rohan deck. This game went back and forth, back and forth, multiple lead changes and such. The 1 big pivoting turn was when Balin went to the Lonely Mountain and was near me. I went to the Lonely Mountain, played an item, discarded my arkenstone to get rid of his Balin + Durin's Axe and did some CvCC. That was too much of a blow and I pulled off a 4-2 win to pull us into finals, as marcos had already dunked.

Round 5
Peregrin - Sauron 2:4
I knew this game was for the finals as marcos and Ringbearer had already played, whoever won; won the tournament. From the beginning it was a mess. Martin had forgotten The Grimborgoth in his deck before registering it, and then drafted poorly, pulling out a Troll and a Dunadain. This lead to complications in his deck and he had to play it differently. I played a Balrog CvCC deck and began chasing him down, and killing his characters off via CvCC and creatures. I managed to kill 2/3 troll brothers, Lt of DG, and Lt of MM. I couldn't get a faction in play for the life of me, and he had a ton, which he was going to double, I risked it and called, last turn I managed to river 2 companies, send The Mouth back to his hand, and he ended up getting an ally point which I had. He revealed his Thong, eek hide that thing! But it wasn't enough to win, I managed to pull off a win and took the tournament for my team.

Was a blast playing, my decks need work, I keep missing a category of things in almost all my games, and it's gonna cost me eventually!
marcos
Council Member

My TR:

Round 1 vs Manuel:
This game was pretty much decided by the first roll, the one who started the game actually won it. He played his dragon country FW gandalf deck with hobbits, i wasn't able to do much to him and he didn't do much to me neither. I called with a small difference of 2 or 3 MPs iirc, which was pretty easy for him to score. 4-2 the final result, i was actually hoping that the other 2 games resulted in tight games as well, so that defeat in the first round wouldn't be important. Unfortunately we lost 15-3, the good part is that we were supposed to get an "easy" opponent for round 2

Round 2 vs Bruno:
This is why i said "easy". I think this time there wasn't an easy team, all of them were quite competitive. Bruno caught me off-guard with a hero squatter and my hazards were actually prepared for moving heroes. There wasn't much i could do, also rolls weren't on my side as Bruno mentioned. Bolg wounded (as usual) and missed orcs of moria (as usual). His hazards were perfect vs my kind of deck, you know undeads hits at shadow holds and shadowlands, and i decided to run a Balrog-mordor-burn deck. At the end i had no factions so he doubled for an easy 6-0. At this point i thought we were already out, but Bert and Brian scored 10 TPs which gave us a little bit of hope

Round 3 vs Ulli:
Yeah great, we had 15 TPs, and paired with Finland... Before my game with Ulli i saw Bert defeating karmi, that was good for our morale. I don't really know what was Ulli going to do, i guess his draws were very poor, and he got hited by some non-detainment Ents because of his FW Alatar's stage points. He lost his scroll of isildur in his way because of a roving eye cc. My deck worked quite well so it was a 6-0 for our team. At this point we needed Brian to stop the dunk-machine and poland to keep his very good results, which they did, GO POLAND! :D They stopped austria giving us an extra chance, now we needed just a 4-2 win, but stopping Trossell isn't something actually easy. What happened in that game was already told by Brian.

Round 4, Semis vs Manuel (again):
After some tactical speak with my teammates we got the conclusion that we were really soft during qualifiers so we decided to take stronger decks. I wasn't really sure about playing dunk, but now that Trossell was out of competition i thought that people weren't going to tech that much vs dunk. I also decided to use it vs M/FW because most of the characters are very important and i didn't want them to be bounced. Okay, so the game started, i got a nice starting hand, scroll turn 1, gold ring turn 2. Then things started to get ugly. Manuel's deck was too quick for me, my wizard was late and my rangers were seized by terror. But things turned my way when i managed to roll a 12 on an unhappy blows, that prevented Manu from calling and gave me an extra turn so i moved as near MT doom as possible, i went to easterling camp and Gandalf survived 2 assassins in a row. Next turn Manuel calls and i move to the mount, luckily for us, he wasn't able to draw his hazards in time, so i reached the site without any troubles and tested the ring on the second roll. One foot in for finals, then for my surprise both Bert and Brian got their revenges as well, giving us a 17-2 victory.

Round 5 Final vs domse:
I used my previous game as a bait, everyone was expecting me to do dunk again but my H vs H deck was totally different, domse's first drafted character proved it, it was Thrain. In this game most things happened in the correct order from the very beginning, except some crappy rolls, luckily my deck was prepared to deal with that. I influenced away domse's Gimli and Wood-elves, kept wormsbane in hand to reduce his MPs giving us a 5-1 victory. The truth is that it could have gone much better or much worse for both of us. His Thrain survived a couple of bcs and ccs but on the other hand he missed some easy kill points. In the end i believe the balance was kept. Right after that Bert and Heiner played his game wich was somehow what i expected to be honest, i don't like hog vs hog. Unfortunately i wasn't able to watch Brian's game because of electricity problems... meh. But hey! we are champs again! congrats teammates!

Now i wonder if Brian will come up with a USA team next year or he will stay on the winning team 8)
Balin
Ex Council Member

I also agree with Bruno about rules for finals, let's keep it as it is.
I agree with Heiner about the Grimbourgoth thing, it is easy to say now but I think we should let people correct a misclick. I remember NatsCup 2 years ago when Kike allowed Trossell to change a wrong-picked site (a key one: Mount Doom!) in his last turn...
Anyway, congrats Flanneltina! We will see each other again next year! :wink:
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The case of Zarathustra forgetting Cracks of Doom last year may be relevant to the discussion at hand. ;)
The game is flawed, but this does not mean it cannot be loved.
marcos
Council Member

sure i also thought about that one, but it was round 1, not the very final game... It's hard being in such position
marcos
Council Member

Statistics? Allignements, teams TPs, players TPs? :)
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

The final ranking

1. Flaneltina
2. Germany
3. Spain
4. Poland
5. Austria
6. Italy
7. Finland
8. Iberoamerica

Alignements

Qualifiers (24 Players)
9 Hero
6 Minion
9 Fallen

Finals (12 Players)
4 Hero
6 Minion
2 Fallen

Most Valuable Players

Qualifiers
1. Peregrin (15 TP)
beornd1963 (15 TP)
3. jordisorry (14 TP)
Highwayman (14 TP)

Finals
1. marcos (12 TP)
2. Heiner (8 TP)
Sauron (8 TP)
AgusBalin (8 TP)

Total
1. Peregrin (22 TP)
2. AgusBalin (21 TP)
3. marcos (20 TP)
jordisorry (20 TP)

The Scoring table

[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
Balin
Ex Council Member

Nice stats, good job!
Just one remark: Manuel scored 6 points in his last game vs Poland.
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Balin wrote:Nice stats, good job!
Just one remark: Manuel scored 6 points in his last game vs Poland.
Correct. The result was missing on my tournament sheet. Fixed.
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]

Return to “Online Tournaments”