Fallen-wizard Sealed League Cup 2009

Events taking place on online platforms
wigy

Now the tournament has started and many people seem to like format very much. It is time to plan future. For the next year i have collected some ideas of rule changes. Mostly they are pretty trivial and i doubt there's anyone against. However, the last proposal might be interesting. Comments?

1. Calling limit of 20MP is changed to normal 25MP. Actual game testing didn't reflect current rules. We tested without restriction for WH-hazards in main deck and it was struggle to get 20 in early rounds in over 75% of games (typically without permanent event removers).

2. New extra point: if winning by 20 or more points gives extra point.

3. When putting team players in order for pairings, use personal ranking, then MP difference, MP gained, personal ranking points and only after that use dice.

4. Demolish whole game-phase and hot hours thing. Replace with communal judging, where players trading between team mates' games, are observed by other players and punished for violations. That requires separate date to be specified when to declare wizard.

5. Change format of this size so that A1 gets "easier" group, i.e. groups are A1,B2,C2 and A2,B1,C1.

6. Bonus Wild Idea: allow all suitable cards won after games, i.e. Firstborn (and later sets in future) generic resource and hazard cards.
wigy

One more:

Forfeiting the game is 25-0?
marcos
Council Member

agreed on all the suggestions
marcos
Council Member

what about dunk win?

you should add a score for that possibility, it is VERY unlikely but it can happen
wigy

marcos wrote:what about dunk win?
It was under these rules 20(25)-0. So 3-0. I would add extra bonus points for that. Also, adding new "win by 20" rule, it would give 25-0 (5-0). (2 win, +1 for 25 (standard by new rules), +1 win by 20, +1 win by ring). I think it's not too bad to give one extra.
wigy

wigy wrote: 6. Bonus Wild Idea: allow all suitable cards won after games, i.e. Firstborn (and later sets in future) generic resource and hazard cards.
And sites! :)
wigy

Finally i got time to implement secret trading. Now, if both players are in sealed mode and in the same table, they can trade cards secretly. I.e. no message is given to other players.
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

wigy wrote:Finally i got time to implement secret trading. Now, if both players are in sealed mode and in the same table, they can trade cards secretly. I.e. no message is given to other players.
Thats a very good thing.

I would also agree to all points but the Dream Cards.
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
Beornd

Many thanks to Wigy to organize a really great new meccg-format. It was really good tested and brought especially at the first halve of the tournament interesting and thrilling games. Unfortunately after scouting the decks the tournament left the sealed-modus.

Perhaps a new idea to change the wizard for each player after every game, with no new allowed after played them all, would ensure the sealed-modus until end of the tournament.

Also the same startingtime for teammates should be considered to prevent supporting or concerting tactical measures.

Its a pity that our semis decisived by a lame confident trick (and i don´t speak about the used deck :roll:) - Greetings to Trossel

We should implement this format in any way at Jubilee Lure 2010 :D
Trossell

So I tell what the trick in question was - it was Carambor cheeze.

A few ideas how it could have been stopped:
1. Snowstorm
2. Nature's Revenge + lots of r&l creatures
Stop Carambor before you exhaust 2nd time and then exhaust on your turn and win by a large margin. You have time to amass the hazards for the 2nd cycle.

So I regard the deck more as a gamble than a sure-fire way of winning. This time it worked as a surprise deck but maybe not in the future. And knowing the result of the 1st game so you know how big a risk you need to take in the 2nd is important whether you play Carambor or not, so it wouldn't make the sense to play both games at the same time in any case.

We had no idea that using Carambor would become such an emotional issue - i don't think we've considered it worth playing if we knew people became so angry :( .
"Generally speaking, the errors in religion are dangerous; those in philosophy only ridiculous."
-David Hume-
zirilan

Trossell wrote:So I tell what the trick in question was - it was A few ideas how it could have been stopped:
1. Snowstorm
2. Nature's Revenge + lots of r&l creatures
Stop Carambor before you exhaust 2nd time and then exhaust on your turn and win by a large margin. You have time to amass the hazards for the 2nd cycle.
:!: In this sealed format the required RARE cards were not aviable no Snowstorm and no Nature's Revenge.

It's a pity that such cheating-taktic users are not disqualified and allowed to play further in named tournament, shame on such players.
marcos
Council Member

its Fallen-wizard format, you know what to expect and what not... People will have to deal with it and accept it as grown up people as most of us are.

i don't mean that you will have to like it, just accept the things like they are

By entering a FW format we all knew that the extreme cheeze could show up and it actually did. So whether use this tourney as experience for further ones or just those who don't like it, just step aside from it...

Just my 2 cents
Beornd

(and i don´t speak about the used deck )
Once more - I don´t meant the Carambor-Deck.

We wanted to play on Monday evening at the same time. But our opponennts don´t accept this - now we know why. The Carambor-Deck only works if you know the other result and that was the confidence trick.
wigy

zirilan wrote:It's a pity that such cheating-taktic users are not disqualified and allowed to play further in named tournament, shame on such players.
Cheating is defined as not playing according to rules. Nobody made any protests begfore tournament and now it is kind of late for this event.

More interesting question is how mature is that someone who has lost, threatens to use physical violence against opponent if they ever meet IRL? I don't need to think long how eager i am paying tickets such violent person lacking impulse control. I am going to transfer all tickets to Ulli from you.
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Very interesting how aggressive the mood was after this game (until now). Including myself. I got angry about the Austrians, who conceded their last bronze-game which cost me one or two lots for the lottery....

Insulting people is not nice though. Please remember its only a game!

Dear Trossel and Ulli, nothing is meant personal. At least not from my side. I enjoyed a lot of games with you (playing or watching) and I will in the future. But to set a sign against Carambor I boycot the final round.

But after the dust has settled I must admit, that such a deck shouldnt be banned by rules. Normally it should not be played by a gentlemens agreement. The argument "you just have to be prepared" doesnt work in this format. Youre SB is so full up with eventualities, you cant consider every trick.

If anybody comes by with a carambor trick deck: Refuse to play. As loud as you can. ;-)
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]

Return to “Online Tournaments”