All Expansion Sealed Format

Events taking place on online platforms
Theo

Inspired by CDavis7M's original $60 sealed tournament proposal, I have been working out details for an all-expansion, all-alignment sealed format, which is more economically viable with digital cards. Since I'm currently anticipating that it would require more commitment than a normal sealed tournament (need to build a deck vs. hero and minion, and 1 extra round), I'd like to gauge community interest before working out scheduling specifics, possibly in the Spring or Summer. Platform is likely cardnum for having the lowest installation requirements, unless something else comes along.

What I'm envisioning for a tournament:
* participants receive a collection of roughly $70-$80 worth of packs (original pricing), with distribution among expansions set by the organizer. ("Packs" from The Balrog are uniformly sampled as though from a pair of balrog boxes.) Distribution would contain minimum 2 fixed packs from each of TW and LE, and players can add one avatar card not from their collection to each deck. I'm finalizing the distribution, but it will be slightly more than standard sealed per alignment to support 2-deck games.
* participants decide to register as a hero-aligned player, a minion-aligned player, or both (these participants play two games per round, where pairings and tournament points are tracked independently for their two alignments as though they were two separate players that were assigned identical collections). A hero- or minion-aligned player makes a 2-deck game deck from their collection following the standard tournament rules for decks of that type. Alternatively, hero-aligned players may use Fallen-wizard decks with no overt characters or resources, minion-aligned players may use Fallen-wizard decks by starting with Bad Company and at least half overt characters. Players may alter their decks from their collection freely between rounds but not their registered alignments.
* matching starts with two rounds of same-alignment players; hero plays hero, and minion plays minion.
* one round of forced cross-alignment games pairing the top tournament-point hero players against the top tournament-point minion players (but a participant's two alignments cannot be matched). Extra players from the dominant alignment are paired against each other.
* one or two more rounds of pairings unrestricted by alignment, depending on participation. My goal is to do 1 more round than in normal tournaments, within which players are allowed to be matched against a player+alignment they have already played.
* (players are allowed to spectate their own games of alternative alignment :wink:)
One [online community] with hammer and chisel might mar more than they make...
All players are welcome at Meduseld! https://theo-donly.github.io/MECCG/

Return to “Online Tournaments”