Time Limit in Nations Cup

All events or gatherings other than GCCG, Lure, & Worlds.

Do we need a time limit in Nations Cup?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:32 pm

Yeah, man!
50%
No, dude!
50%

Total votes: 20
marcos
Council Member

there is no point on bothering people that wants exactly the same as you...

i'm also against stalling and against people that takes 75% of the time... But you can be sure that if you stall i will stall twice as you do...
Cant you all just play normal speed? Fair and gentlemen-like?
unfortunately, like someone very wise said: it is a gentlemens game only when gentlmens are playing it
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:unfortunately, like someone very wise said: it is a gentlemens game only when gentlmens are playing it
And I'm just a big burning eye in the sky :)
marcos
Council Member

no, you are just some guy from the US that wants to bother people that wants to have fun
marcos
Council Member

obviously, none of us stalled :P

it was an impressive and very exiting game... thanks for it Brian

we are both big teddy bears :lol:
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

I'm just trying to prove a point.
marcos
Council Member

and i agree with your point, but maybe there are some other ways to deal with it ;)
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:and i agree with your point, but maybe there are some other ways to deal with it ;)
Not really until judges start enforcing stalling.
marcos
Council Member

judges start enforcing stalling.
that i also agree
Manuel
Council Chairman

I'm glad to hear none of you stalled and had a pleasant game :) Especially because I have played vs you two a lot of times, and it has been always been good, fast and interesting games :)

However, at some point Brian is right, something has to be done. I just don't think the Nations Cup is the place to do it, and especially in a game vs Marcos, who is one of the fastest and fairest players ever. Also, keep in mind that the NC is a non-timed event because most people wanted it to be, so as long as that was voted, it should be respected.

There are, however, other events that are timed no matter what, like the GCCG championships, where a very slow player can take some advantage. One can't really take advantage of stalling in a non-timed event like NC (unless you enjoy exhasperating your opponent). For those events, I really think something needs to be done; probably having judges which are more strict, and warning players about stalling and if it is repeated, DQ them. I plan to be more strict with that in my limited time games, and will have no problem in calling a judge if I feel my opponent is consuming too much time. I also expect the judges to be more strict, due to all the discussion this is causing.
Balin
Ex Council Member

I strongly agree here: something has to be done to solve this matter, as Manuel said, but not only about other tourneys like GCCG champs.

Concerning our current tourney, it's not true Nations Cup 'is a non-timed event because most people wanted it to be': the poll ended in a tie, and I know a guy from Spain who could not vote because his CoE account does not work...
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!
Manuel
Council Chairman

Well, let's say "it is a non-timed event because there wasn't a majority of people wanting it to be" :)

As in the spanish voting for the allowance of proxies at offical tournamentes, when drastic changes are proposed, they are usually only taken into account if the majority of people agrees. Even if it would have been one more than a tie, I don't think the NC organizers would have wanted to do it, it's not only up to who wins the voting.

However, I believe things should start changing at tourneys only because it's been so debated; if not, I guess we could start a new voting on the issue, and probably the results would be different.
Balin
Ex Council Member

Manuel wrote:Well, let's say "it is a non-timed event because there wasn't a majority of people wanting it to be" :)
:P
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Almost all players played so far. None of the games took uncommonly long. The only one I heard complaining about not having a time limit in this tournament was one player with the comprehensible argument of what happens when two players use the same avatar. Namely the one who first pulls it out probably will win 6:0. (In IRL tournys the non avatar player has still chances to score TP or even win).

Even this argument is relatively weak considering we talk about a time limit of 2 hours or more which wouldnt help much in this situation.

Not having a time limit is preventing stalling. And in this tournament where lots of people more or less know each other a complaint and the following discussion helps that all players realize that they should avoid conscious stalling.
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
miguel
Ex NetRep

There's really no way to enforce a time limit nor to punish for stalling without judges present and timing the action. Seems like some people are forgetting all about this little problem...

So some guy took twelve minutes his first turn and you took only three. Big whoop. :roll:
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

miguel wrote:Image

There's really no way to enforce a time limit nor to punish for stalling without judges present and timing the action. Seems like some people are forgetting all about this little problem...

So some guy took twelve minutes his first turn and you took only three. Big whoop. :roll:
Next time we play miguel, I'll take 60 mins for my 1st turn and you take 3. Then we'll see what a big deal it is.

Return to “Everything Else”