Time Limit in Nations Cup

All events or gatherings other than GCCG, Lure, & Worlds.

Do we need a time limit in Nations Cup?

Poll ended at Sun Dec 21, 2008 3:32 pm

Yeah, man!
50%
No, dude!
50%

Total votes: 20
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:do it to whoever made you lost your precious time, there is no reason to make it against everyone, that is very immature and childish...
Or perhaps people should have looked at the bigger picture and realized there is an inherit flaw in a timed system where slow players can gain an advantage by hogging up the majority of the time.

If it doesn't get addressed, it'll just continue as it has over the years. The only way apparently to get it addressed it show the flaw in the system.

Or perhaps they should have you know put like a 2 hour time limit on the games.
marcos
Council Member

Sauron wrote:
marcos wrote:i dont have anything to do during saturday as well, i am on vacations, that is why you will be awake the whole night in front of the pc waiting for me to do something while i'm so comfortable sleeping... Is there any rule against that?
Depends on who goes 1st :D
i dont care who goes first, at the first sign of stall you give me i will just go to sleep and leave the pc on... there is no rule against that, just like you said... period
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:
Sauron wrote:
marcos wrote:i dont have anything to do during saturday as well, i am on vacations, that is why you will be awake the whole night in front of the pc waiting for me to do something while i'm so comfortable sleeping... Is there any rule against that?
Depends on who goes 1st :D
i dont care who goes first, at the first sign of stall you give me i will just go to sleep and leave the pc on... there is no rule against that, just like you said...
Once you disconnect and don't return, I'll take that as a concession in return. I'll actually be at the computer respondign to any questions that get asked. :)
marcos
Council Member

ok, same here... first connection to fail will be the one that loses... :shock:

and you must know that i have an entire week to play... you must have to leave at some point and go to job... so... better pray for my connection to fail
Last edited by marcos on Fri Jan 09, 2009 7:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:ok, same here... first connection to fail will be the one that loses... :shock:
1st connection to fail AND not return :)
marcos
Council Member

you have to work at monday, so you will lose dude... i have an entire week to leave the pc on...
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:you have to work at monday, so you will lose dude... i have an entire week to leave the pc on...
We'll see :)
marcos
Council Member

Sauron wrote:
marcos wrote:you have to work at monday, so you will lose dude... i have an entire week to leave the pc on...
anyways, connection troubles is one of the reason that time limit isnt on in this tourney, so you cant take that reason to "declare yourself" as winner...
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:
Sauron wrote:
anyways, connection troubles is one of the reason that time limit isnt on in this tourney, so you cant take that reason to "declare yourself" as winner...
I can declare anything, whether it sticks or not is another issue entirely.

And I find your claim of connection troubles one of the reasons that a time limit isn't enforced as rather weak. As it is easy to determine when someone disconnected, reconnected take the time and add it to the limit.
marcos
Council Member

no you cant, you are not the organizer of this event 8)
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote:
no you cant, you are not the organizer of this event 8)
In my country I'm free to declare anything I want, if it sticks or not is entirely different. :)
marcos
Council Member

And I find your claim of connection troubles one of the reasons that a time limit isn't enforced as rather weak. As it is easy to determine when someone disconnected, reconnected take the time and add it to the limit.
actually, it isnt my claim... but of people that is against unlimited games...
I am also against stalling, but what are you going to get doing so at an unlimited game? nothing...

do you really need to do that to demonstrate that you can win? i think no, you are rather a good player...

and guess what, this is a game, and we are supposed to be playing it for FUN! You will find out that the game is very good when you are not taking it so serious like you do.

And in the case that you didnt noticed, you wont get anything by wining this tourney, ICE is dead so there is no material awards here... again, we are playing for fun. If you cant take it then dont go bother the rest of the people that wants to have fun indeed. Seriously dude, dont fuck me up!
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

marcos wrote: actually, it isnt my claim... but of people that is against unlimited games...
I am also against stalling, but what are you going to get doing so at an unlimited game? nothing...
I'd like to bring to light something that people think isn't an issue or don't want to discuss. I feel it's an issue and important enough for me to do something about.
do you really need to do that to demonstrate that you can win? i think no, you are rather a good player...
No I don't really need to do this to prove I can win. I can easily play a game in 30-45 mins. Mark and I have played games as in little as 20 mins. It's not about demonstrating I can win. It's about showing the inherit flaw and the fact judges are reluctant to ever call a player on stalling, when in fact they should.
and guess what, this is a game, and we are supposed to be playing it for FUN! You will find out that the game is very good when you are not taking it so serious like you do.
Perhaps being serious in a game is what makes it fun for me. I'm competitive by nature and I like to play most of the games I play at a high level of play. If I think people are exploiting something they shouldn't be, then I'm going to bring it to light.
And in the case that you didnt noticed, you wont get anything by wining this tourney, ICE is dead so there is no material awards here... again, we are playing for fun. If you cant take it then dont go bother the rest of the people that wants to have fun indeed. Seriously dude, dont fuck me up!
No I won't get anything by winning this tournament. This is true, on the other hand I will have brought to the foreground a topic most of us are unwilling to deal with. When was the last time you EVER saw someone DQ'd for slow/stall play in a tournment? If judges would start enforcing the rules, this wouldn't be an issue, maybe the judges are the ones to blame for not having the guts to actually DQ people.
Alter Tuk
Ex Council Member

Sauron wrote:Define normal speed? Normal speed for whom? Normal speed for one is not normal speed for another.
Sauron wrote:I can easily play a game in 30-45 mins.
Sauron wrote:[...] the bigger issue with time limits in tournaments where people play slowly, taking up to 75% of the given time. This bothers me to no end.
miguel wrote:
Balin wrote:Anyone could abuse of unlimited-time games too, e.g. annoying the opponent by taking 30 min. each org. phase.
Annoying your opponent isn't abusing the system, it's just poor conduct. You can't win by stalling without a time limit.
Alter Tuk wrote:Cant you all just play normal speed? Fair and gentlemen-like?
[url=http://gccg.sourceforge.net/]Come to GCCG or die a lonely death.[/url]
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

Alter Tuk wrote:Cant you all just play normal speed? Fair and gentlemen-like?
You had the chance to impose time limits and penalities for stalling. You chose not to. You now have to deal with people like me.
miguel wrote: Annoying your opponent isn't abusing the system, it's just poor conduct. You can't win by stalling without a time limit
miguel is right I can't win by stalling without a timelimit, but I can sure as hell annoy the hell out of my opponent. Yes it's poor conduct, but if it brings to light an issue, and people actually deal with it then it's served it's purpose.

Return to “Everything Else”