Promptings of Wisdom - why is it so popular?

Post your decks, discuss strategy, ask for tips, etc.
Lake Town Geezer

OK, I know Promptings of Wisdom works on a ranger - giving him two CPs but then allowing him to tap to cancel any hazard effect that that sends his company back to the previous location, or that taps the site.

I can see it is useful against 'Beorning Skin Changers' potentially if the company doesn't have an untapped warrior or Beorn. I can see it is potentially useful against certain environment hazards like 'Snowstorm' - though that can also be countered by Twilight or GoM (for example). I am guessing it isn't much use against River, as this card is countered by tapping a ranger anyway (and river doesnt tap the site).

So besides environment hazards like the above and the bears, what else is it useful against? Suggestions welcome.
CDavis7M

I don't think Promptings has any secret abilities -- it only works on hazard effects. But it's a great sideboard card, right? Say your opponent has a full Snowstorm and Long-winter deck, with 3 Twilights in the resource section and 30 hazards dedicated to setting that up and keeping it going. They got outposts to outpost more outposts in a never ending snowstorm of withered peril winter door outpost twilight snowstorm. 3 Twilights aren't going to stop that. You need Gates in the Org and multiple Twilights. Or just Promptings. Plus, like you mentioned, it might not even be an environment hazard causing the roadblock effect.

Being required to do nothing is a bummer but at least you're at the site already and can hopefully play your card next turn. Being returned to origin is pretty rough, same with a tapped site. That's what Promptings does. Plus, Rangers really did need something to tap for besides River.

Check out Govern the Storms too. I've got that in one deck.
Lake Town Geezer

CDavis7M wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 5:14 am I don't think Promptings has any secret abilities -- it only works on hazard effects. But it's a great sideboard card, right? Say your opponent has a full Snowstorm and Long-winter deck, with 3 Twilights in the resource section and 30 hazards dedicated to setting that up and keeping it going. They got outposts to outpost more outposts in a never ending snowstorm of withered peril winter door outpost twilight snowstorm. 3 Twilights aren't going to stop that. You need Gates in the Org and multiple Twilights. Or just Promptings. Plus, like you mentioned, it might not even be an environment hazard causing the roadblock effect.

Being required to do nothing is a bummer but at least you're at the site already and can hopefully play your card next turn. Being returned to origin is pretty rough, same with a tapped site. That's what Promptings does. Plus, Rangers really did need something to tap for besides River.

Check out Govern the Storms too. I've got that in one deck.
Thanks for this mate.

I was studying many of the decks presented on the Spanish MECCG site, and noticed some decks were even including 2 copies in the main deck. I guess one in the sideboard makes a lot of sense given it is a resource. I also remembered it could be used against Baduila/Seek without success as well. I guess that is mainly it though.

Beorning skin changers maybe countered most easily with 'And forth he hastened' (one of my favourite cards in the game - that is always great if the wizard is out), rather than Promptings (unless you have Sam with it). No CC with AFHH.
Last edited by Lake Town Geezer on Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:21 pm, edited 2 times in total.
CDavis7M

If people think that a chance meeting can be used to play a character in the site phase, etc. then tapping out a company is not enough and the meta-game under that idea indicates that return-to-origin is the best effect. Doesn't make sense under the game design but if that is the meta then including Promptings straight into the deck makes sense in that meta. But if there are many things not being followed in the game rules then the unbalance of return-to-origin in that understanding doesn't seem so glaring.
Lake Town Geezer

CDavis7M wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:38 pm If people think that a chance meeting can be used to play a character in the site phase, etc. then tapping out a company is not enough and the meta-game under that idea indicates that return-to-origin is the best effect. Doesn't make sense under the game design but if that is the meta then including Promptings straight into the deck makes sense in that meta. But if there are many things not being followed in the game rules then the unbalance of return-to-origin in that understanding doesn't seem so glaring.
This is interesting. I tend to not use 'A Chamce Meeting' (as I am always looking to take resources out and this is one of the first that goes). I will need to check: but if you are right and this is one of the main drivers for including PoW in deck design, we may see PoW being included where ACM is also present. The analytical obsessive in me now wants to go and check all the decks on the Spanish site and see how many correlate.
Mordakai
Council Member

Well, maybe people think that because ICE said that in two digests regarding that specific topic (ICE Digests #49 and #71), but whatever, we are talking Pronptings here.

Regarding PoW directly in the deck, it's probably because roadblock is probably the most dangerous hazard strategy against that specific deck. Better to have a chance of getting it soon than waiting for it to pop up after sideboarding because your opponent has already showed you his intentions.

There is another nice way of protecting yourself against roadblock, using Balance Between Powers in the organization phase. Opponent can only counter it in that specific moment, and only with Twilight. If he fails, you are totally safe against the weather (not Baduila or Beornings, watch out for those).
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
fisilva1
Council Member

CDavis7M wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:38 pm If people think that a chance meeting can be used to play a character in the site phase, etc. then tapping out a company is not enough and the meta-game under that idea indicates that return-to-origin is the best effect. Doesn't make sense under the game design but if that is the meta then including Promptings straight into the deck makes sense in that meta. But if there are many things not being followed in the game rules then the unbalance of return-to-origin in that understanding doesn't seem so glaring.

Hello CDavis7M [edited]:

I'm Felipe, one of the CoE members.

This is the CoE forum. Within here, you should not be ironic or condescending to others, because that creates a very unpleasant mood, and this is the official place where we talk about our beloved game! It should be a fun experience for all. I know you can do better.

If you have questions about the rulings (i.e. if it's ok to play A Chance Meeting in site phase), you should post it in the corresponding area of this site.

Do not just make comments implying that certain rules are wrong.

This is your first warning.

No ironic or condescending phrases, please.

Felipe [-me_gi-]
CDavis7M

fisilva1 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:21 pm

Hello [CDavis7M]:

This is the CoE forum. Within here, you should not be ironic or condescending to others, because that creates a very unpleasant mood, and this is the official place where we talk about our beloved game! It should be a fun experience for all. I know you can do better.

If you have questions about the rulings (i.e. if it's ok to play A Chance Meeting in site phase), you should post it in the corresponding area of this site.

Do not just make comments implying that certain rules are wrong.

This is your first warning.

No ironic or condescending phrases, please.

Felipe [-me_gi-]
I apologize if someone found my comment to be ironic or condescending. That was not my intention. My intention was to explain the meta-game.
CDavis7M

Mordakai wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 7:05 am Well, maybe people think that because ICE said that in two digests regarding that specific topic (ICE Digests #49 and #71), but whatever, we are talking Pronptings here.
Thank you for looking this up. But if we mention the two question and answer responses from the non-ICE employee third party netrep then it's worth mentioning that ICE's MECCG Series Editor deleted these rulings from the official CRF clarification change list twice. But that doesn't mean the answers were wrong. The answer might be right in some circumstances but not in others, which would not be spelled out in the CRF anyway.
CDavis7M

fisilva1 wrote: Tue May 30, 2023 1:21 pm Hello █████████:

Also, Felipe, thank you for introducing yourself. But please recognize the CoE privacy policy by not using my name.

The Council of Elrond's privacy policy states that it is my right in all cases to have the option of what information in my account is publicly displayed. I have not chosen to display my name. I have never given you my name and I am not sure why you are revealing my personal information publicly even though I have explicitly taken the option of not making this information public on this forum.
Kodi
Council Member

Hello CDavis7M, you are right, and that's why I'm going to edit and hide this information.
Goblin King

Roadblocks are generally considered the most terrible hazard strategy in this game. It is not illegal or banned. It can usually result in a boring game. This card was created as an easy work around. It is also very useful for those Lost in Wilderness, Lost in Free Domain, etc.
In modern times, I rarely encounter Roadblock strategies, but three copies of River are not uncommon at all. So this card definitely has its uses.

Return to “Decks, Strategy, Tips, Ideas”