METW-only Challenge Decks - for beginners

Post your decks, discuss strategy, ask for tips, etc.
CDavis7M

You're still around! I was just reading your post from 2009, a comment on 'saving the game'. I guess it was saved? Or did it die?

And well done on the pdfs.
Falconer

Hey! Yeah! My post here? I still go back there for some useful links. Not sure I am in a position to gauge the health of the community/game or even of the community/game’s web presence. So far I have mostly gone around looking for PDFs of things I printed out long ago, and mostly found them. Other than these. Which I then found. And reposted. :)
CDavis7M

Falconer wrote: Thu Oct 20, 2022 7:10 pm Hey! Yeah! My post here? I still go back there for some useful links. Not sure I am in a position to gauge the health of the community/game or even of the community/game’s web presence. So far I have mostly gone around looking for PDFs of things I printed out long ago, and mostly found them. Other than these. Which I then found. And reposted. :)
Yeah I read something like that. I was working on a "demo" deck and then dropped the project but someone on Discord reminded me of it. And somehow stumbled back on to Joe's post, which mentioned demonstration decks and a bunch of other ideas, and I also read your post. Anyway, you are like an Ent waking back up and posting again 10 years later. :shock:
sarma72
Council Member

Ah yes, those nice PDF of mine. Just everyone be aware that the "To The East Away With Thieves" deck is based on the wrong interpretation of the card "Sun" (I didn't know better at the time...)
“The wide world is all about you: you can fence yourselves in, but you cannot forever fence it out.”
CDavis7M

sarma72 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:08 am Ah yes, those nice PDF of mine. Just everyone be aware that the "To The East Away With Thieves" deck is based on the wrong interpretation of the card "Sun" (I didn't know better at the time...)
Don't worry, it was correct at some point. Just set your time machine.
Lake Town Geezer

Just saying these decks are great - as someone who has not played a real face-to-face game of meccg in over 20 years, just today played Sarma72 with his decks (we played two games). Great fun was had and I learned a lot*.

Game reports:

First game Sarma72 played the Pallando deck, while I played the Gandalf deck. I lost after Glorfindel was corrupted away after I mistakingly attempted to move from Goblin Gate to Lorien while still being corrupted. Big mistake - I should have stayed and got rid of the corruption first. This basically meant I just couldn't keep up.

Second game I played the Radagast deck with the 4 hobbits, while Sarma72 played the Saruman/Aragorn deck. I got hammered by not having a faction when the council was called. Basically, I mistakingly discarded the ents faction when it came up early, assuming the more easily played blue mountain dwarves would show up (it didn't). When the council was called, Sarma72 got double faction points that beat me easily despite me having successfully played Orcrist and other cool items like torque of hues.

Thanks for a great session Sarma72, and putting the effort in to develop these decks.

(*and great coffee was served by Sarma72).
CCG Collector

sarma72 wrote: Sun Oct 23, 2022 12:08 am Ah yes, those nice PDF of mine. Just everyone be aware that the "To The East Away With Thieves" deck is based on the wrong interpretation of the card "Sun" (I didn't know better at the time...)
What's the correct interpretation of it? To me, the card is pretty straightforward as worded; the only point of confusion I could see is whether Dunadan get +2 with Gates of Morning out or not. Is that it?
Middle Earth and other CCG unboxings, booster openings, and guides: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCCGCollector
CDavis7M

CCG Collector wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:05 pm
What's the correct interpretation of it? To me, the card is pretty straightforward as worded; the only point of confusion I could see is whether Dunadan get +2 with Gates of Morning out or not. Is that it?
Back in the day there was a question of whether Sun + Gates boosting each Man would also boost Men hazards. At some point someone said "yes" and I think this even made it into the Players Guide. Even between the designers there were some that were more open to theme, simulations, and possibilities, while others were more focused on the rules and mechanics. It didn't take long to realize that characters and attacks needed to be distinct and that they needed to strictly adhere to the rules text.

There are still remnants of "old way" in the CRF. There is also some "old way" errata that never came to pass.
CCG Collector

CDavis7M wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:41 pm
CCG Collector wrote: Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:05 pm
Back in the day there was a question of whether Sun + Gates boosting each Man would also boost Men hazards. At some point someone said "yes" and I think this even made it into the Players Guide. Even between the designers there were some that were more open to theme, simulations, and possibilities, while others were more focused on the rules and mechanics. It didn't take long to realize that characters and attacks needed to be distinct and that they needed to strictly adhere to the rules text.

There are still remnants of "old way" in the CRF. There is also some "old way" errata that never came to pass.
Ah, and the current ruling is that the bonus only applies to hero characters, not hazard creatures?
Middle Earth and other CCG unboxings, booster openings, and guides: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCCGCollector
CDavis7M

CCG Collector wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 9:10 pm Ah, and the current ruling is that the bonus only applies to hero characters, not hazard creatures?
This was an older discussion. MELE a "new" clarification and there is a clarification in the CRF. It goes both ways.
  • A company is not an "attack," and a character is not an "attack." So hazards that modify attacks have no effect on characters and
    companies
  • Cards only modify attacks if they say they specifically mention attacks.
  • Sun: Does not affect attacks

Return to “Decks, Strategy, Tips, Ideas”