Heedless vs. Mixed Companies

The place where the NetRep and the rules wizards discuss upcoming rulings
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

MARK

Heedless Revelry wrote:
Playable on a non-Ringwraith company that is not moving...

I looked and looked in the CRF and LE rules, but could not find a definition of a ringwraith company. the only relevant quotes are:
1 wrote:
The following cards will have no effect on a Ringwraith player. This is because the mechanism of the cards do not work with the mechanics of Ringwraith companies, or their effects is too powerful against a Ringwraith company.

2 wrote:
If region movement is being used, Ringwraith players may use METW region cards (or an appropriate, mutually acceptable map).
Your Ringwraith company may not use region movement.

3 wrote:
In Ringwraith vs. Wizard games, most combats with companies fighting creature attacks, automatic-attacks, and special attacks are handled normally. However, when combat occurs between a Ringwraith company and a Wizard company, certain special guidelines must be followed.

3 is clearly irrelevant, as it is intended to mean "any company of a rw player." 2 is also irrelevant, since a mixed company of rw(s) and non-rw(s) cannot move. 1 is not particularly helpful.

Where does that leave us? Well, here's three kinds of companies:

(a) pure ringwraith,
(b) mixed rw & non-rw, and
(c) pure non-rw.

Obviously Heedless Revelry can be played on (c) and cannot be played on (a). But what about (b)? The relevant situations are two:

(i) Normal rw and some squatters at a darkhaven;
(ii) The Balrog squatting with some guys (e.g., at the Under-Leas).

From a gameplay point of view, (i) is trivial: there's not much to be done at havens, and so having your characters tapped is no big deal. But (ii) is quite important. If you are playing a squatting under-leas deck, for instance, outlawing Heedless Revelry (the first use, not the on guard use) is quite a boon! Before we say that "well, there's a rw, so it's a rw-company" I think we should think carefully.

Does anyone have any considerations to bring to bear here? Personally, I tend towards saying that HR can be played on companies of type (b), but I'm willing to listen to any arguments.

MIKKO

Quote:
Heedless Revelry
Playable on a non-Ringwraith company that is not moving. Make a roll for each untapped non-Wizard character...

I'm afraid just having a Rw in the company makes it a Rw-company. The card text of Heedless supports this, as it says not to roll for Wizards, but fails to mention what to do with Ringwraiths. However, for its on-guard use Heedless does specify not to tap Wizards/Ringwraiths.

Against Under-leas squatter you can still play Heedless on-guard, which isn't bad at all since they don't tend to play events for MPs.

CHAD

I'd tend to agree with Mikko.

MARK

Ok....

MARK

OK, then.
Proposed Ruling wrote:
Mixed companies, i.e., those including at least one ringwraith character and at least one non-ringwraith character are considered ringwraith companies. Therefore, they cannot be targeted by the first use of Heedless Revelry.

BRIAN

I always thought a RW company, was a company only with RW's. Of course you couldn't play Heedless on a company consisting only of RW's as they have no mind attribute to roll against if not moving.

MIKKO

Aye.
Last edited by zarathustra on Tue Feb 27, 2007 9:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://www.alfanos.org
tharasix
Ex NetRep

Is this supposed to be locked? Didn't the ruling go out?
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Published just before going to LURE. Done. Locked.
8)
http://www.alfanos.org

Return to “Rules and Rulings - NetRep Discussion Forum”