Revealing a character when you influence with an agent

The place where the NetRep and the rules wizards discuss upcoming rulings
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Take a lookie here: http://www.meccg.net/dforum/viewtopic.php?t=2573

I'd really like to rule that you cannot reveal the character when you attempt to influence him with your agent, but as Shapeshifter and Jaded have pointed out, there's simply no basis for ruling that way. Is it game-breaking to allow this? I don't think so. Should we do it? I guess....
http://www.alfanos.org
Wacho

I don't think it makes any sense to allow an agent to reveal a character when influencing. Why should he be able to reveal a character, but not a faction or ally? I think this is simply an imprecision in the language of the rules that was overlooked for so long because everyone knew how it was supposed to be played. I'm sure if ICE was still around they'd issue an errata or clarification. Is that enough to base a ruling on? Maybe not. As Mark says I don't think it will break the game to allow it, but I do think it would be wrong.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I suppose imprecise wording too.
In most cases imprecise wording takes form of saying about whole class of situations, entities etc. where it should say only about small subset of the class.
This time we have reverse situation - a rule says about subset of class (revealing an identical resource card), where it should say about whole class (revealing identical card).

There are similar problem in case of revealing of agents. Rule says:
Dark Minions, Agents, Revealing an Agent wrote:Certain hazard cards specify that an agent must tap for the card to take effect.
A face-down agent that taps in this fashion must be revealed (i.e., turned faceup).
Does it mean that if action/card requires specific agent, or agent with certain abilities, but does not require tapping it, agent should not be revealed (Baduila's ability, Seek without Success).?
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Comment from Birk:
Birk wrote:In my opinion You can't play the character at a non haven-site because You need the site to play the character. (Rule chapter 9 influence METW rule --- appearing at the same site). The site is already blocked from the agent. ( chapter Agents MEDM rule a face-up agent's site card must always be faced-up). So it is only possible to play the character at a haven site (because You can have multiply version of havens). I also checked whether there is a rule that You can not play cards that gives You MP during your opponent's turn. But I did not found such rule. I hope that this will help You.
http://www.alfanos.org
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I don't think that it does matter whether revealed character may be played or may not be played at all.
CRF, Rulings by Term, Wizardhaven wrote:If you are influencing against your opponent, and he is at a Wizardhaven where you can not play cards that give MPs, you can reveal the card you are influencing against to reduce the number you roll against to 0, but you may not play that card afterwards
(if it gives MPs).
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.

Return to “Rules and Rulings - NetRep Discussion Forum”