Hall of Fire Timing

The place where the NetRep and the rules wizards discuss upcoming rulings
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Joe Bisz, in an email wrote:I understand that for a haven squatting company, Hall of Fire triggers at the end of their m/h phase. However, when precisely does hall of fire's effect occur if a company is moving to a haven with Hall of Fire on it? Does a company need to be squatting to be affected by it (unless it is a moving company that is moving during the last m/h phase, thereby legally arrive at the haven "at the end of all m/h phases?)" See the various COE rulings quoted below here, which suggest that a company must actually BE at the haven to use the effects of Hall of Fire. They also suggest that although Hall of Fire can be triggered during the m/h phase on a company moving during the last m/h phase, the untapping effects are not actually *applied* until the site phase--is that also correct?

Also, does the ruling still stand that "the end of all Movement/Hazard
phases" = "the end of the last Movement /Hazard phase" ?

Finally, Chad ruled below that moving to a Hall of Fire haven then playing Bridge would not allow one to untap from Hall before Bridge's extra movement, because "the company is never at the haven." But if this strict interpretation of being at a haven is correct, why are cards like Bridge allowed to work at all, since they say "playable on a company that has moved to a haven this turn"--and a moving company has never moved to a haven until the end of all m/h phases, so unless it's the last company to take its turn, it shouldn't be allowed to move, right?

(COE Quoted)>>
Witnessed a game on GCCG yesterday that had two Hall of Fire on one copy of Isengard ( Fallen-wizard Haven) and a company moving to another copy of Isengard ( last Movement / Hazard phase). The player used the option to join both companies at the Haven at the end of all Movement/Hazard phases and claimed he could therefore untap two characters in said company. Was he right?

*** As there isn't supposed to be anything between phases ( we can't take actions there, so why would the game rules?), I believe the first option to be correct: "the end of all Movement/Hazard phases" = "the end of the last Movement /Hazard phase". So this untapping with Hall of Fire by joining the companies is legal.

>>
First, if one cannot take actions between the end of all m/h phases and the site phase, and if a moving company is not at a site until the site phase, why is this multiple use of Hall of Fire allowed to work?

*** Hall of Fire states that its effect occurs "immediately following [the company's] movement/hazard phase." This means that its effect is the first thing that occurs during that company's site phase. Since the companies have already joined, per the CRF, the ruling is correct. See Digest # 67 for the ruling in question.

>>
And finally what about Hall of Fire? I move to a Haven with Hall of Fire on it. Then I play Bridge. Am I allowed to untap / heal a character before leaving by Bridge?
*** No, because the company is never at that Haven.
http://www.alfanos.org
miguel
Ex NetRep

Joe Bisz, in an email wrote:I understand that for a haven squatting company, Hall of Fire triggers at the end of their m/h phase. However, when precisely does hall of fire's effect occur if a company is moving to a haven with Hall of Fire on it?
At the beginning of the site phase (provided the company is at said haven).
Joe Bisz, in an email wrote:They also suggest that although Hall of Fire can be triggered during the m/h phase on a company moving during the last m/h phase, the untapping effects are not actually *applied* until the site phase--is that also correct?
See above. Last or first move/haz phase makes no difference.
Joe Bisz, in an email wrote:Also, does the ruling still stand that "the end of all Movement/Hazard phases" = "the end of the last Movement /Hazard phase" ?
I wonder what ruling that would be... Here is how I see it (taken from here):
  • (1) We resolve movement/hazard phases normally, until we get to the last one.

(2) Resolve that one normally, until we get to the 'end of movement/hazard phase', triggering effects like from Alone and Unadvised / playing cards like Bridge.

(3) Then we move into 'end of all movement/hazard phases'. The companies combine. Cards affected by this are dealt with (Alone and Unadvised, Fellowship). Then we discard the old site and reconcile hand.

(4) Beginning of site phase. Now it's allowed to tap for river and then face possible auto-attacks (and play cards affecting that).
Joe Bisz, in an email wrote:Finally, Chad ruled below that moving to a Hall of Fire haven then playing Bridge would not allow one to untap from Hall before Bridge's extra movement, because "the company is never at the haven." But if this strict interpretation of being at a haven is correct, why are cards like Bridge allowed to work at all, since they say "playable on a company that has moved to a haven this turn"--and a moving company has never moved to a haven until the end of all m/h phases, so unless it's the last company to take its turn, it shouldn't be allowed to move, right?
Bridge does not require the company to be at the haven, just moving there is enough. Hall of Fire requires the company to be at the site. Maybe the wording on Bridge is bad English, but this is how the cookie crumbles. :wink:
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

Aye.

Done. Locked. 8)
http://www.alfanos.org
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

I'm sorry for unlocking.

Some thoughs:
Bridge wrote:Playable at the end of the movement/hazard phase on a company that moved to a Haven [H]. That company may move to an additional site on the same turn. Another site card may be played and a movement/hazard phase immediately follows for that company.
Hall of Fire wrote:Playable on a Haven [H]. Any company at this Haven immediately following its movement/hazard phase may choose for one of its characters to untap or heal (from wounded to tapped). Discard Hall of Fire when the site card is returned to the location deck. '...people came here who wish for peace, and thought. There is always a fire here...'-LotRII
We have two effects that occurs immediately following company's m/h phase. In case of Bridge "immediately" means after current m/h phase and before m/h phases of other companies. In case of Hall of Fire "immediately" means the beginning of site phase.
I'm not quite convinced.

I know that between end of m/h phase (reconsiling of hand/discarding site of origin) and begining of next m/h phase (revealing new site/drawing cards for movement) there is no time for playing cards and activating its effects, but particular text of card can make exception. The Reach of Ulmo is obvious example.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
miguel
Ex NetRep

Ok... So what exactly are you suggesting?
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

Case is not easy, especially that rules concerning end of m/h phase are at least ambiguous.
Annotation 25: A company is considered to be at the site given by its site card at all times except from the moment their new site card is revealed during their movement/hazard phase until their old site card is discarded during the same movement/hazard phase. During this period a company is considered to be en-route between sites and not at any site.
So ok. After reonciling hand and discarding site of origin, company is in one of "all times", i.e. at site.

However thereafter is stated that:
Removing the site of origin and resetting to hand size are simultaneous actions, and they are the last actions in any movement/hazard phase. This means a moving company is not at a site until the site phase. [effective 11/17/97]
But in earlier paragraph:
Companies at the same non-Haven/non-Darkhaven site must join at the end of all movement/hazard phases, before the site phase starts. Companies at the same Haven/Darkhaven site may join at this time.
If companies at the same site must/may join at the end of all movement/hazard phases, they must be at the same site at the end of all movement/hazard phases.

So we have three possible variants:
a) moving company is at site immediately after its m/h phase (if not taking next m/h phase).
b) moving company is at site at the begining of site phase.
c) moving company is at site at the nd of all movement/hazard phases, before the site phase starts.

In (a) effect of HoF can be applied to company moving to Haven after its m/h phase (if not taking next m/h phase).
In (b) effect of HoF cannot be applied to company moving to Haven.
In (c) effect of HoF can be applied to company moving to Haven, only if m/h phase of this company is last m/h phase in turn.
miguel
Ex NetRep

A moving company is not at the site until the beginning of the site phase. This we are not going to change, period.

Hall of Fire is tricky because of this rule, but I think the interpretation that HoF has sort of a prolongued effect is a good one. Let's say company A is moving to a haven with HoF. After their move/haz phase we go through company B's movement. Now in a way, for company A the very next thing to happen after their move/haz phase is the beginning of the site phase... So imho it makes sense they get to use HoF's benefits.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

miguel wrote:A moving company is not at the site until the beginning of the site phase. This we are not going to change, period.
I see that there is no will of touching this CRF's inconsistency (nor even no will of considering that some CRF entries are inconsistent).

So if ruling for Hall of Fire cannot be consistent with all CRF rules included in "Turn Sequence, Movement/Hazard Phase, General" section (nor with interpretation of Bridge), then let's it be convenient at least.

Regards

Return to “Rules and Rulings - NetRep Discussion Forum”