The One Ring tested at Mount Doom

The place where the NetRep and the rules wizards discuss upcoming rulings
Manuel
Council Chairman

Ok, so this has been brought to the Rules Question section of this forum. You can check the discussion here:

http://www.councilofelrond.org/forum/vi ... php?t=1018

Apparently, the Rulesbook says you have to move the One Ring to Mt. Doom and play certain cards (cracks of doom, gollum's fate in this case) to achieve a victory.

I personally believe the word "move" isnt intended here as if the company had to move literally with the One Ring. IMO the wording here is kinda vague, and the text of both Cracks of Doom and Gollum's Fate are quite clear instead.

That's only my point of view, though. What do you guys think? Should a rule about this be made?
miguel
Ex NetRep

Yeah this looks like just another example of ICE's sloppy wording. If you are able to play a card that says "you win", then that's game.
Konrad Klar
Rules Wizard

It reminds me some fragment from LE.
Lidless Eye, Starter Rules, Playing and Drawing Cards, Creature Cards wrote:At least one of the region symbols on the creature's card matches one of the region types the company moved through this turn (see below). If the creature's card has two region symbols of the same type (i.e., a deep Wilderness creature), then the company must have moved through at least two regions of that same type.
Bold is mine.

I cannot take it strictly.

If none of game's mechanics can prove validity of some carelessly written phrase, it is rather reason for making clarification, than for changing everything but that phrase.
We will not speak of such things even in the morning of the Shire.
Manuel
Council Chairman

According to what everyone is saying in the Rules Question forum, we should really make a rule on this before people starts making celebrations ^^
miguel
Ex NetRep

I believe what the victory conditions are supposed to say is as follows:
One Ring Victory Hero wrote:If you have the One Ring at Mount Doom and play certain cards - The One Ring is destroyed and you win.
Similarly for minions
One Ring Victory Minion (non-Balrog) wrote:If you have the One Ring at Barad-dûr - Sauron is reunited with The One Ring and you win.
miguel
Ex NetRep

Hm. So do we actually need a ruling on this? I like what Ilkka wrote in the thread.
Trossell wrote:Seriously though, that sentence appears to be describing rather than defining victory with the one ring...
Would that settle it?
marcos
Council Member

i think we do need a ruling
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

I just came across this:
The Wizards Companion wrote:If you move The One Ring to Mount Doom and play certain cards - The One Ring is destroyed and you win. (See page 53 for more on Rings.)
page 53 of The Wizards Companion wrote:Destroying the One Ring
The One Ring can be destroyed if its bearer has Mount Doom as his company's current site and one of the following occurs:
- The Cracks of Doom card is played and the bearer passes the corruption check called for by the card.
- Gollum is in a company at Mount Doom and the Gollum's Fate card is played.
The conditions for destroying The One Ring are: a company must have Mount Doom as its current site and either Cracks of Doom or Gollum's Fate must be successfully played and the conditions on these cards must be fulfilled.
IMO there is no need to actually move The One Ring to Mount Doom, otherwise this would have been mentioned again on page 53 of The Wizards Companion.
miguel
Ex NetRep

Yeah I'm 100% fine with issuing a ruling on this, even though it's not really even an issue IMO. :lol:

Return to “Rules and Rulings - NetRep Discussion Forum”