Our New Forums and Home Page

Announcements & discussion of CoE related issues.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Dear Friends,

Apologies for the long delay. We had only planned to have the forums down for 3 days to facilitate the transfer to the new forum software and due to some very bad timing and bad luck, the original host of our website and forums had his server hacked and everything went down on his end only one week prior to our planned maintenance and transfer. As a result, it has been very difficult to overcome various hurdles and get everything back online.

Our new home page is up and running, please take a look if you haven't already. Hopefully you like it. It is simplified and features the amazing Rivendell artwork by the artist Norloth. The home page will continually be updated, improved and kept current going forward.

Our new Forum (despite some headaches and unplanned complications) are now here as well! Please understand the new forums are still being worked on and renovated. There is still much to be done, so please be patient while the dust settles. Below are some issues you may encounter:

MISSING POSTS & THREADS - RESOLVED
If you made a forum post during the period March 27, 2017 thru April 27, 2017, it is likely missing from our new forum. Unfortunately there is no easy fix for this. I have been manually copying each post from this time period over to the new forum from the old forum one post at a time. This is a very time intensive process, but once finished it will at least allow for no data or information to be missing or lost. You will notice that each missing post will be made from my account (I don't have the ability or desire to make a post from someone else's registered account), and each such post will simply state the date and the original user who made the post with an exact quote of what they wrote. At the bottom of each such post, this will be displayed: This post has been re-created due to lost data and was originally posted by the author quoted above.
I have already spent a number of hours on this project and have completed all forum posts affected except for those in the Rules Questions forum and those in The Council of Elrond forum section. I will post another update when those sections are complete.

MISSING PRIVATE MESSAGES - RESOLVED
Similar to the posts issue above, you may be missing Private Messages that were sent or received during the time period: March 27, 2017 - April 27, 2017. Unlike the forum posts above, I do not have any direct way of retrieving these. If you would like to retrieve missing PMs, please contact me (via PM) and I will walk you through a method to retrieve them. Please be aware that this option will not be available forever. It involves logging into the old forum which at some point in the future will no longer be hosted on the web.

ERROR MESSAGE WHEN CREATING A POST - RESOLVED
You may occasionally receive a Fatal Error message after submitting a new post. We are working to find out what is causing this message and eliminate it. Your post should still be made to the forum even if you receive this message, so this is a cosmetic issue only.

ERROR MESSAGE WHEN SENDING A PRIVATE MESSAGE - RESOLVED
You may occasionally receive an SQL Error message after sending a private message. We are working to find out what is causing this message and eliminate it. Your PM should still be sent to it's recipient even if you receive this message, so this is a cosmetic issue only.

MISSING AVATARS
Avatars are not currently being displayed next to user names on forum posts, even though Avatar use is being allowed via the admin control panel. We are looking into what is causing this problem and will find a way to fix this.

CORRUPT ATTACHMENT FILES - RESOLVED
All attachment files that were imported from our old and out of date forum software to our new, updated forum software seem to be corrupted. I am trying to find out if there is a way to fix this globally. If not, I will begin manually re-copying each individual attachment one at a time. If there is an attachment that you are looking to use now, please make a post in this thread and I will try to fast-track that particular attachment for you.

NOTIFICATIONS NOT BEING SENT - RESOLVED
It appears notifications are not being sent out if you have these set up in your control panel preferences. This has been confirmed to be the case if you elect to receive an email notification when someone sends you a PM, but it likely is the case with other notification options as well (such as if you elect to receive an email if someone quotes your post). So please be aware of this. We are working on a fix.

TAPATALK NOT WORKING - RESOLVED
The forum browsing app Tapatalk is currently not working with the new forum.

HYPER LINKS TO FORUM THREADS NOT WORKING
Links embedded in user posts which connect to other forum threads do not work, as they attempt to route to the old webpage/server. Some of these have already been fixed. I am working to fix all of them but I have to manually fix one link at a time and I have to know which thread they were supposed to link to. Please send me a PM or report a post if it has a broken link. It is very helpful if you can also direct me to which thread the link is supposed to go to.

If anyone comes across an additional problem with the new forums that is not listed above, please make a post below and let me know.

Thanks for your understanding and patience, and I hope everyone will be quite pleased once we finish all of our work.

Yours,

Gavin
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Updated post above to add "Notifications Not Being Sent" section.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

The issue of attachments being corrupted has been resolved.

All attachments on the forum should now work.

If you come across an attachment that doesn't work, please make a new request in the Feedback & Bug Report forum.

Thank you.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Updated "Missing Posts and Threads" status to Resolved.

I have now completed transfer of all missing posts and threads from the old forum.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Updated original post:

The following have now been resolved:

- Error message when creating a post.
- Error message when sending a private message.
- Notifications not being sent.
- Tapatalk not working.

Thanks for your patience.
the JabberwocK
Ex Council Chairman

Updated original post:

- Missing Private Messages has been changed to "Resolved" since it has been a full 8 months now and I have had nobody contact me to help retrieve any missing PMs.

- Added new issue to the list: Hyper Links to Forum Threads not Working

Return to “Council Business”