ConQuest in Sacramento Nov. 11th to 13th 2022

Goblin King

Hello everyone,
I'm going to attempt the return to in-person MECCG this year over the Veteran's Day weekend. There are issues with the website (volunteer work being what it is) so I've not yet been able to get the event recognized. But I expect that not be an issue once we get clear of their upcoming Labor Day weekend convention.

Anyhow, the plan was to run two events both of Saturday, one after the other. The morning session would be Wizards of Middle Earth (my version of an Arda gaming cube) for 2 to 5 wizard players. Following a lunch break, the afternoon evening session would be Nazgul of Middle Earth (my version of Dark Arda game cube) for 2 to 9 Nazgul players.
I can also be at the convention and I can bring Challenge Decks for a tournament (up to 10 players) and constructed decks (regular or dream card).
Please let me know if you are interested and planning to attend.
Goblin King
Kjeld

Sounds fun -- if I was still in the area, I'd definitely be there!
cculver

I visit the Sacramento area on occasion and would love to attend, but I am a newer player, would that be a problem? Also, I live in the area but cannot find any players. Do you know of anyone in the area?
CDavis7M

cculver wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 5:30 pm I visit the Sacramento area on occasion and would love to attend, but I am a newer player, would that be a problem? Also, I live in the area but cannot find any players. Do you know of anyone in the area?
Get in there! You'll be happy you did. The guys in California are friendly and great help to beginners. They helped me. You don't even need to bring cards. Goblin King said he is setting up Arda. This is sort of a "board game style" version of Middle-earth CCG where you shuffle up a bunch of cards and pass them out -- no constructed decks. Just be sure to show up early/on time so that you can grab a seat.

Send him a PM if he doesn't post back here.
cculver

That sounds like a lot of fun. Where do I sign up or is that still in process? I live in the Fresno area, so if anyone knows players from the Central Valley area, that would be great.
Goblin King

Hey cculver,
Nice to meet you! Being a newer player is no problem at all! We were all there once upon a time!
We have used the Wizards of Middle Earth game to introduce new players to the concepts of the game at conventions up and down California. After playing Wizards of Middle Earth once, we've loaned new players a pre-constructed deck and they are able to play and pilot the deck without issue.
I live in Sacramento and I'm willing/able to travel in order to play (happen to be heading to San Jose today to get in a few games with a friend).
Happy to meet and connect at a game store location or coffee shop between here and Fresno.
Send me a message!
As far as signing up for the ConQuest game, I'm pretty sure they are focused entirely on their upcoming convention for Labor Day weekend right now, but the website will have something eventually.
GoblinKing
Goblin King

The listing for Wizards of Middle Earth and Nazgul of Middle Earth are now up on the ConQuest Sac webpage.
Wizards will be on Friday evening and Saturday morning/afternoon. Nazgul will be Saturday evening.
Come join us!
https://conquestsac.conreg.net/reg/Events.asp
cculver

Great, I just booked my air bnb. I went to the link, but it looks like the login is for Gms. Do I need to sign up somewhere?
Goblin King

cculver wrote: Sun Oct 16, 2022 5:22 am Great, I just booked my air bnb. I went to the link, but it looks like the login is for Gms. Do I need to sign up somewhere?
Outstanding! I don't know if the Convention has a sign-up sheet for the game or not. But I promise you, your place in this game is reserved with me! I'll make sure you have a slot.
Looking forward to this! Took the Wizards of ME set out for another test run last night at There and Back Again Cafe. Going to add a couple more cards today.
Red Arrow

Hello Goblin King and CCulver!

Just starting to get back into this game and really glad that goblin king is rekindling the hearts of players once again. Sad to say I won't be able to make it but rooting for you guys to have lots of fun playing MECCG. hopefully we can meet up again in socal, bay or Sacramento area.
CDavis7M

Red Arrow wrote: Mon Nov 07, 2022 8:32 am Hello Goblin King and CCulver!

Just starting to get back into this game and really glad that goblin king is rekindling the hearts of players once again. Sad to say I won't be able to make it but rooting for you guys to have lots of fun playing MECCG. hopefully we can meet up again in socal, bay or Sacramento area.
I remember your name from old posts. You were at the LA convention (Stratigicon/Orc Con/whatever they call it). Hope to see you around!

Any interest in playing Arda online with the local players? TradewindRider has kept his "GM" status going on Tabletop Simulator. I think I have an extra download "key" if you don't already own the game. Send me a PM if you're interested.
Goblin King

Red Arrow!
Nice to hear from you again. Gene and Larry and I were all wondering about you the last time we virtually gathered. Look forward to seeing you again in the future.
So another ConQuest Sacramento is in the books. We had a light turn out for Wizards and Nazgul of Middle Earth.
Our first game included cculver, myself, Mr. O'Harr-foot (that's the ME game I gave him on his 70th birthday), and Kaoni of the Grey Haven's Sugar Shack. I took Palando and Cirdan for a really hug hand, but it didn't do me much good. I managed to find an oversized seeing stone but couldn't get it back to a haven in time to store it. Also didn't see another greater item until my last refill of my hand where I drew two big swords.
There were lots of seeing stones that game, I want to say three of the four parties had one. I think Mr. Oharr-foot and Kaoni were very close to each other in the 25 to 26 range in the end with Culver and I being just under 20.

The next morning, we played Wizards again but just three of us: Mr. O'Harr-foot, Kaoni and I. This game was a lot of fun with some risk taking just for fun. Radagast took Hama, Gimli and one of Elrond's sons and proved once and for all that, actually, yes, one can simply walk into Mordor! Nobody expected I was going there on second turn and nothing but an orc band was played against me! Orc Quarrels and crowing roosters took care of the hosts at Baradur, but Gimli got busted trying to sneak out the seeing stone and was eliminated. The other two parties ran into dragons thanks to a Doors of Night being played.! Kaoni's fellowship group survived some dragon hiding in another dragon's lair up north. (I played the manifestation on guard so that he would have to discard his extra cards gathered for moving there). But Strider was swallowed whole by a sea dragon while attempting to find treasure at The Stones.

Kaoni ended up taking this one easily as O-Harrfoot and I could not recover.

We tried a new variant rule that I've been experimenting with. Both Strider and Aragon are removed from the pool of starting large mind characters and are only placed in the Roving Character deck. Also like Fram Framson's restrictions, Strider or Aragorn can only be recruited at Bree!
In our first game this resulted in Aragon never showing up at all, which was a total bummer.
In the second game it had more of the desired effect, which was people racing to Bree to recruit Strider. I got their first, but I realized after moving I didn't have enough influence to recruit him without losing someone else. And you can't discard someone and recruit someone on the same turn.
I'm still working on this concept and it might involve cycling through the Roving characters more rapidly.

The last game, Nazgul of Middle Earth featured me, Culver, Mr. OHarrfoot and someone wandering past the table named Dakota. But this game was stopped short because Culver had to return home and the new player had a game reservation for 7 p.m. We only got a couple turns in. I had Hoamurath fly out on a dinosaur to gather a ring that turned out to be useless, meanwhile The Mouth was starting to rally the various Mordor Orc Tribes to the cause.
This concludes my report. I hope we can all gather again somewhere in 2023 and I'm really interested in crating a MECCG tournament in CA or CO during the coming year. So reach out to me if you are interested in helping!
Red Arrow

It's been awhile and we missed all those Vegas meetings. It would really be nice to see you guys again in 2023!

Sacramento Area: ConquestAvalon in March 2023?
Bay Area/ San Jose: Pacificon or Kublacon in February 2023?
Los Angeles: OrcCon in Feb 2023 or Gamex in May 2023?
Central Valley Meetup? From Sacramento to Bakersfield. CCulver where can we meet in Fresno?

Looking forward to more in person events!
Nimrandir

Goblin King wrote: Mon Nov 14, 2022 2:49 am Nice to hear from you again. Gene and Larry and I were all wondering about you the last time we virtually gathered.
Is that Gene Berry? If so, great to hear he's still playing! We ended up hanging out in the airport for a while as the Atlanta Worlds wound down. I wish my flight had been as quick as his; I ended up stuck in the terminal until something like 2:00 AM.

Tell him Phil says hi. Unless this is a different Gene, because I probably never met that Gene, and things would get weird.
Goblin King

Indeed! The one and only. I will let him know! Let's get a national tournament together and gather once again!

Return to “USA MECCG Community”