Fallen-Wizard Sealed League Cup

Discussion of the Generic Collectible Card Game engine created by Tommi "wigy" Ronkainen and mantained nowadays by Kodi
wigy

About
The Sealed League Cup is a pair tournament, where teams of two players compete in Fallen Wizard sealed deck format.

Teams and Groups
The tournament is for 6 pairs (12 players) or more.

Ranking and Teams
Teams should be mostly presenting a single nation, although mixed couples are not forbidden.

The ranking of a pair is total of their ranking points in the Gccg ranking http://www.akustiko.fi/~wigy/meccg/. The tiebreaker is one or more dice rolls (2d6) to make a difference between two teams.

The ranking order for the tournament is constructed differently. The pair with the highest ranking is selected as number one in the ranking order. Then all other pairs presenting the same country are added to the list in the order of their own pair ranking. Then the next nation with the highest ranking is picked from the remaining teams and they and other teams from their country are added to the list. This is repeated until the order is complete. Mixed nationality teams are treated always as a single presentative of a nation even if there are other similar pairs.

Groups

Based on the ranking order of pairs, they are divided to the following league groups:

6-8 teams:

A. 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th
B. 2nd, 4th, 6th, 8th

9-12 teams:

A. 1st 4th 7th 10th
B. 2nd 5th 8th 11th
C. 3rd 6th 9th 12th

13-16 teams:

A. 1st, 5th, 9th, 13th
B. 2nd, 6th, 10th, 14th
C. 3rd, 7th, 11th, 15th
D. 4th, 8th, 12th, 16th

If a league group has not as many players as group A, a bye is awarded those facing empty
slot. With bye no tournament points get scored, but players gets W$25
compensation to buy cards as other participants.

Tournament Format

Each group plays a league, where every team faces every other team
once. League points are awarded as described later.

6-8 teams
e) A1-B2
f) B1-A2

Finals:
g) Winner of f) vs winner of e)
Bronze:
h) Loser of f) vs loser of e)

9-12 teams
Second round with 3-team groups is played with top-2 players (this counts as a cup phase, i.e. 25MP required to call):
E. A1 B2 C1
F. A2 B1 C2

Finals:
g) E1-F1
Bronze:
h) E2-F2

13-16 teams
Quarter finals:
a) A1 - D2
b) C1 - B2
c) B1 - C2
d) D1 - A2

Semifinals:
e) Winner of a) vs winner of b)
f) Winner of c) vs winner of d)

Other positions are are given based on the total match score gathered in league and possibly cup matches (when counting league points, MP scores includes possible extratime). Byes count as 1.5 points for this purpose. No tiebreakers are used.

Decks
Each player starts with W$80. Players can buy any boosters or starters they want. They can also give cards and money to each other (but see later restrictions about game phase). Players must create a FWSLC-legal deck, which is the same as general opponent 2-deck fallen-wizard deck, with the following exceptions:

1) The sideboard vs. Fallen-wizards are NOT allowed.
2) The White Hand hazards are NOT allowed in the main deck.

Players earn more money during each round, which can be used to further enhance decks after each round.

Games
One round is played in one tournament week, which is divided to deck creation phase from Monday to Thursday and game phase from Friday to Sunday.

During the game phase both players play one game against one of the opponents. The deck must be legal general opponent deck and format is 2-deck, but council can be called on 20MP:s on league phase and normal 25MP on cup phase. Giving cards during the game phase is not allowed.

Both players of the team make one deck before their game. Modification of the deck is allowed during the game phase as well. The decks must not have the same wizard. If the opposing teams have one or two same wizards, the opponents are selected so, that no same wizard is against each other. If all wizards are different, the players with the highest personal total league score plays against each other (roll in the case of tie). Before the first game phase of the first round, the wizards must be announced to the organiser, who makes the pairing. After the first round, the previous wizard is assumed, if no new announcement is made before game phase.

After each match, players announce the MP score, not the tournament points (TP)! This is very important. Winning by using One Ring gives always 20-0 score (or 25-0 in cup phase). Forfeiting the game is 0-15 or the current MP score of the game - which ever opponent chooses.

Scoring
In league, each player gets awarded the following points to their team:

a) 1 point for a draw.
b) 2 points for a win.
c) any team gets 1 extra point for getting 20 (or 25 later rounds) or more points.
d) loser gets 1 extra point when losing by 10 or less points.

Tie breakers in the league are:

1) Score difference, i.e. team total MP score - their opponents total MP score.
2) Total MP score achieved.
3) Face to face total MP score difference.
4) Die roll.

In cup phase, the total MP score of both games determines the winner. The first and second pair must be determined (by rolling a dice if disagreement) and the score of the first game must be announced to the second pair before they finish their game. In case of tie after the council of the second game, an extra time is played. Both players continue by playing full turn as a resource player. After that council is called again. Repeated as long as needed to get difference.

Hot Hours
The organiser announces 3 Hot Hours for every tournament week: first on Friday, second on Saturday, third on Sunday. The participants can't refuse to play during the Hot Hours, if they are online during that time. A player, who has longer online presence during Hot Hours than his/her opponent, wins the game 15-0, if no other arrangement is made in order to play. If no presence from either team at all, the game is 0-0.

Compensation
Unless a match ends in draw, the winner of the each match is required to give W$15 to the loser of the match.

Decks
In the beginning of the event each player starts with the cleared sealed account and adds W$80 to their sealed accounts. The account must not be used during the whole tournament for other purposes. Practicing is allowed, but the game MUST be declared undecided or the team is disqualified and all the remaining games are recorded as 15-0 to their opponent. All card buying must happen during the deck testing phase. Deck modification is allowed between facing two opponents, but not between tie breaker matches.

Starting the event
The event starts during the weekend. The first weekend is called initial phase. Every pair must visit Gccg during the initial phase and initialise their sealed accounts with W$80. When both team members have initialised their sealed accounts and the pair has been announced to the tournament organiser, the pair is officially participating. Details of the announcement methods are given in the tournament info.

Practical Considerations
Watching games and scouting is allowed during the game phase. Note that scouting may be fruitless since players may change their decks radically between the rounds. Coaching is not allowed.

Teams should wear flags, when they are having a strategy meeting and or practicing. Nobody is allowed to watch those games during deck creation phase. Violation may lead to resetting of a Gccg account.

Penalties
Violation of these rules will give automatically 15-0 victory to the opponent for the remaining games of the team.

CAUTION: Do not exit the sealed mode using

Code: Select all

/sealed end
. That will finish your team's tournament permanently. The rest of the matches are 15-0 for your opponent.

God rule
These rules may be changed during the tournament, if necessary for having an successful event and majority of the players agree.

Gccg tricks
The following macro is useful, when you sit down in the table to discuss privately about strategy. You can give cards to your team mate even when sitting in the table. Bind the macro as

/bind /eval if(card.number) {net_send(server.meta,("GiveCard",("Teammate-sealed",card.number))); Msg("Gave "+card.name);}
or with the latest client, simply

/bind /eval Giveteam("Teammate-sealed")
and replace 'Teammate-sealed' with the name of your team mate's sealed account. Now you can point a card in a collection (or anywhere actually) and easily give it.

Also, you can get products visible while sitting in the table, with the following macro:

/bind /eval TogglePanel('products')
Updates
Jan 14th 2008: Added new ranking order based on the nationality.
Jan 14th 2008: Compensation after the game to balance income.
Jan 26th 2008: Added macro for giving cards quickly.
Feb 2nd 2008: Added full cup tree.
Feb 2nd 2008: No coaching allowed.
Feb 2nd 2008: Only single game per opponent with different wizards.
Feb 19th 2008: Use TP to determine opponents, if 4 different wizards.
Feb 19th 2008: Added league round order.
Feb 19th 2008: Defined Hot Hours.
Feb 19th 2008: Required wizard announcement to organiser.
Feb 20th 2008: Allow non-simultaneous play.
Feb 20th 2008: Smaller formats.
Feb 20th 2008: Drop the full cup format.
Feb 21th 2008: Made the tournament flow more clearer (hopefully).
Feb 22th 2008: God rule and initial phase.
Feb 24th 2008: Added MP score difference as secondary criteria.
Mar 16th 2008: Added cumulative MP as 3rd criteria and 20-0MP for 7-0.
Mar 16th 2008: Warning about /sealed end.
Mar 16th 2008: Banned sideboard vs. FW.
Mar 16th 2008: Specified qualifier better.
Sep 29th 2008: Redone the league structure and scoring system.
Jan 22nd 2009: Added new deck rules.
Jul 3rd 2009: Added simpler macro.
Jul 3rd 2009: Drop "loser finals" and drop gccg-ranking restrictions.
Jul 3rd 2009: Added new formats for 9-12 teams.
Jul 5th 2009: Clarified hot hour concept a bit (but not using them now, though).
Jul 5th 2009: Products macro.
Jul 6th 2009: Added clarification that the second league groups are concidered cup in 9-12 teams format.
Jul 7th 2009: Clarified scoring system a bit.
Jul 7th 2009: Clarified league scoring more: required 25 for extra point if that's calling limit.
Jul 8th 2009: Added bye award and clarification for determination of other positions.
Jul 9th 2009: Set 15-0 for forfeit and clarified that "score" is MP score.
Jul 13th 2009: Clarified that players don't get extra $25 every round, but it comes from the games.
Aug 1st 2009: Clarify that 'deck creation phase' doesn't bind you. It is just a term.
Last edited by wigy on Sat Aug 01, 2009 3:50 pm, edited 36 times in total.
domse
Ex Council Member

hey wigy,
did you think about hazard limitations as discussed on the "badest beard"-tourney. As all players will play fallen, they will buy lots of WH boosters, what gives them enough of anti-FW-hazards to put right in deck and completely destroy opponents resource strategies - and the fun while playing.
wigy

domse wrote:hazard limitations
I read that, but i am not yet ready to go that route. I need to do some real life experimenting first. The bottomline being, that all players have the same rules. Everyone can assume that FW-specific hazards being played while building their decks.

If it turns out that it is not possible to reasonably counter that threat, then there's no other option than ban them from the main deck. That in turn requires new deck rules to be implemented for that tournament.
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

I fear that there will be difficulty scheduling these games, as you'll need 4 people to agree to set aside approximately 4 hours at the same time. Multiply that by 8 more teams and 4-5 weeks.... It could get hairy. Why do teams have to play at the same time?
http://www.alfanos.org
Sfan
Ex Council Member

To Wigy and all the others interested in this tournament format:

The problem with the 2nd deck was discussed on the "badest beard tourney". Why don't you allow only one deck? That makes deck building for the team much easier. Creating your deck you must/can keep in mind not to rely on fw specific resources in the case of an emergency.

My two cents again,
Stefan
wigy

zarathustra wrote: Why do teams have to play at the same time?
To ensure that they actually do have two separate playsets. Otherwise they could make one killer deck combining cards from the both collections. That being the reason, we can make exceptions to the requirement, if players need flexibility. It is just matter of asking from organiser, who will then follow that there are no card swapping between the matches.

On the other hand.... we could stick to the rule that games are always from Fri to Sun (other arrangement from the organizer). Then any card swapping is forbidden during the game days by default and players can play whenever they want during the weekend.
wigy

Sfan wrote:The problem with the 2nd deck was discussed on the "badest beard tourney". Why don't you allow only one deck?
I am aware of the problem of the second deck built against the specific wizard. I ignored that based on the assumption that it is not so easy to implement in the sealed environment. You need to be lucky to actually get the cards for that. On the other hand, I would assume that strategies would vary wildly, since you have to play with what you got. You can't make a typical squatter just because you happen to be Pallando.

The second deck is optional anyway. You can play only one deck if you want to. I've done some test draws and personally I'd like to have that option. The amount of cards is so much bigger that there are more than one interesting strategies available for a deck builder.
wigy

Btw, note that rules are not specific to fallen wizard. They suit as well to hero or minion or even general opponent format (although i am afraid that nothing can beat hero in sealed environment with the same amount of initial money).
Sfan
Ex Council Member

Hi guys!

Anyone still interested in that tournament format? Or is there already a tourney running? I was not online for some weeks now.

Stefan
marcos
Council Member

we were running a virtual tourney, last round is beeing played but i'm the winner anyway 8)
wigy

Sfan wrote: Anyone still interested in that tournament format? Or is there already a tourney running? I was not online for some weeks now.
Sure. I am still busy testing the format. I've been busy with other things, but once I've done enough testing, i'll set a date. It will be some time on autumn 2008 (or spring if you are on southern hemisphere). I certainly will announce it in all possible medias by then.
Sfan
Ex Council Member

Thanks a lot!!!!
wigy

Either time flies or i am just slow playing....

Anyway, i've done almost all testing for now without any restrictions to the deck rules. I am happy with MP limits of 20 and 25. I am still not sure about adding restrictions to the deck rules. I think i am going to run some more testing with the following restrictions: "No FW-hazard cards allowed in the main deck.".

Now when i look at calendar and assume that i'll do some testing for few weeks, there's not much left this year. And Gccg-championsips are going to be there. I don't want this to overlap champs, so I am afraid that this has to wait early next year, since this will take about 2 months or so at least. Don't worry, i am surely going to arrange it (and playing myself as well!). It has been quite fun testing.

Btw, i changed structure radically easier.
I also added new scoring system for league inspired by rugby. Hope you like it.
Balin
Ex Council Member

Sounds really interesting...

:)
__

Let them come! There is one dwarf yet in Moria that still draws breath!
Jose-san
Ex Council Member

Yeah! It sounds like a hell of fun :)

Return to “GCCG”