The Hunt at a Haven

The place to ask and debate all rules issues related to MECCG.
Manuel
Council Chairman

I'm sure it's been asked and answered before, but how do you deal with this when you play the Great Hunt or the Hunt at a Hidden Haven?
Hidden Haven
Rarity: C4
SP: 1
Permanent-event
Playable on a non-Dragon's lair Ruins & Lairs in a Wilderness, Border- land, or Shadow-land ; the site must normally be a Ruins & Lairs. This site becomes one of your Wizardhavens and loses all automatic-attacks. Nothing is considered playable as written on the site card. If one of your companies is at this site, all attacks against it are canceled. Other Fallen-wizards may not use this site as a Wizardhaven. Discard this card when the site is discarded or returned to its location deck. It cannot be discarded otherwise.
In the same fashion, how do you deal with this situation: A company squatting at Balrog Moria, a Nameless thing is played while Forearmed is Forewarned is in play:
Moria
SPECIAL: Any Gold Ring stored at this site is automatically tested (modify the roll by -2). Creatures keyed to this site are detainment. If one of your companies is at this site, all attacks against it are canceled.

Nameless Thing
hazard
Creature
[10/4; 3 kill MP]
Drake. 3 attacks of 2 strikes each. A character can tap to cancel one of these attacks. Playable at any site in the Under-deeps. If Doors of Night is in play, also playable at an adjacent site of any Under-deeps site or keyed to a Coastal Sea.

Forwarned Is Forarmed
resource
Permanent-event
Any non-Dragon Lair site with more than one automatic-attack is reduced to having one automatic-attack of the hazard player's choice (cannot be canceled). Any creature or other hazard with more than one attack is reduced to one attack of the hazard player's choice (cannot be canceled). Discard when such an isolated attack is defeated. Cannot be duplicated.
Thanks in advance for your help!
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

In the first case, the attack is canceled. There is nothing in the Hunt/Great Hunt's text that would affect the ability of Hidden Haven, etc. from canceling the attacks.

In the latter case, though, Forewarned would make the attack uncancellable and take precedence over the Balrog's version of Moria. Every time Moria would try to cancel the attack, Forewarned would say "Nope." A similar situation occurs with Indur Unleashed (Indur's attack may not be cancelled) at FW Havens.

Note that a creature keyed to Balrog Moria is detainment per the card text.
Manuel
Council Chairman

Ok, the Nameless at Moria is easy to explain, but talking about the great hunt at a hidden haven... for example, why would this deck work then?

http://www.meccg.net/dforum/viewtopic.php?p=8578#8578
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

Because Zarathustra cheats? :)

Seriously, that may be a simple mistake. I've made decks that did technically illegal things because I didn't think through all the rules (for example, using Helm of Her Secrecy on the Nazgul auto-attack at the Sulfur-Deeps). In order for the Great Hunt to work, the company must not be at a site that will cancel attacks.
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

Manuel wrote:Ok, the Nameless at Moria is easy to explain, but talking about the great hunt at a hidden haven... for example, why would this deck work then?

http://www.meccg.net/dforum/viewtopic.php?p=8578#8578
Because Mark explains in the text that the company moves to a faction site BEFORE hunting the hell out of opponents.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
Manuel
Council Chairman

Nope. First he says:
Fellowship up and lay down the site for your faction, whatever it is. Then Great Hunt
Then he says:
After you kick ass and take names, go get your faction.

Lay down the site = place the site face down, indicating that you split the company. Then Great Hunt, and THEN move to where the faction is.

For some reason, I had always thought that Great Hunt/Hunt override the usual cancelling text of the havens...
zarathustra
Ex Council Chairman

You seem to have found a fatal flaw in the Bounty of Framsburg deck.... :(
http://www.alfanos.org
Ringbearer
Ex Council Member

I always played it that I scored a faction, then hunted.
"I used to roll the dice, feel the fear in my enemies eyes."
- Coldplay, Viva la Vida.

Gaming is life, the rest is just dice rolls.
- John Kovalic, Dork Tower
|Highwayman|

nice find
Bandobras Took wrote:I've made decks that did technically illegal things because I didn't think through all the rules (for example, using Helm of Her Secrecy on the Nazgul auto-attack at the Sulfur-Deeps)
and what's the problem here?
Going ever under dark,
Having the clouded sky above me -
And pale nothingness beneath me,
I see a light in the distant darkness,
It beckons me in and I accept it's invitation...
Bandobras Took
Rules Wizard

The hideously worded (indisputably) and completely idiotic (in my opinion) rule that states that the only cards that may be played while facing an auto attack are those that cancel the strike, cancel the attack, or are otherwise playable during the strike sequence. In other words, cards that affect strike assignment/number of strikes are unplayable. :(
sly southerner

Room for a UEP about cards playable on auto attacks maybe?
Manuel
Council Chairman

zarathustra wrote:You seem to have found a fatal flaw in the Bounty of Framsburg deck.... :(
Sorry Mark. Someone in the spanish forum asked about the hunt being cancelled at hero havens, and while I was answering "no, because, nothing in the hero haven card says that attacks get cancelled" I realised that fallen wizard havens would cancel it.

I'm sure there's a way around it to make it work ;)

Return to “Rules Questions & Debate (unofficial)”