Promo cards and misprints

Anything MECCG related that doesn't fit in another forum.
The Global Players List is located here.
Yegor

nico21000 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:40 am Glamour of Surpassing Excellance : Typo. 'ExcellAnce' with an 'A', really ? :lol:
I wouldn't call that a misprint. That's more like an oversight or simple error. Unless it's some old spelling :wink:
nico21000 wrote: Tue Dec 18, 2018 1:40 amCrown of Flowers : The 'Dark Minions' extension watermark is out of its place and plain white.
While the white rune is definitely interesting. Any other white runes in Challenge Decks?
nico21000

No, no other white rune in the challenge deck as far as I remember.

Next, not a misprint but a strange thing : the random number on agents (aka minion characters exclusively from the 'Dark Minions' set) is alternatively black or white. All minion characters from the subsequent sets have a white number. This statement seems to be true also for all the foreign prints of the game.

Next, not a misprint but a very strange thing I just discovered : the whole Balrog set has a copyright mark for 1998, except for one specific card, what leads me to think that Strider was probably originally intended to be released along with Against the Shadow (maybe as a promotional card ?).
Strider.jpg
Strider.jpg (179.34 KiB) Viewed 11448 times
Adanhedel

Hey folks,
I just came through my french version of Snaga-Hai again, and wondered who was the guy who actually did this version, as it's not Steve Otis. Have some of you an idea? Does it seems close to another artist of the game?
Let me know if you have some clues :-)
nico21000

The illustration is a clone of 'Heralded Lord', by Brad Williams. Sorry for the picture poor quality.
Attachments
French Snaga Hai.jpg
French Snaga Hai.jpg (225.81 KiB) Viewed 11346 times
Adanhedel

Off course... what we can forget in those years. You just remind me I knew it 13 years ago, but it seems my spirit grow old. Thanks Yegor! I could also simply have browsed my binder :-(
Now I feel dumb :oops:
Thanks!
nico21000

the "Daelomin" illustration has a wrong orientation on almost all languages. I found this photograph on the net showing the correct orientation on the english version :

But I'm a bit sceptical about its authenticity : the copyright date is 1995-1996, which (I believe) is only for the unlimited edition. So, this card should have a blue border, am I right ? And, as far as I know, the blue border version has the wrong orientation, too... ?

To my knowledge, the "correct" orientation is featured only on the dutch and german cards. So, here's a little bit of Photoshop magic made from the dutch illustration, and destined to be used by cardnum :
metw_daelomin_fixed.jpg
metw_daelomin_fixed.jpg (78.95 KiB) Viewed 4457 times
Finally, here's (for reference) the original illustration :

Last edited by nico21000 on Fri Jan 29, 2021 6:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kjeld

A quick search of Ebay revealed that the English Limited edition (black border) Daelomin is indeed rotated 90 degrees from "upright". However, the English Unlimited edition (blue border) copies of Daelomin appear to have the proper upright orientation, i.e. ICE corrected the mistake for the UL edition.
CCG Collector

nico21000 wrote: Fri Apr 26, 2019 1:45 pm the "Daelomin" illustration has a wrong orientation on almost all languages. I found this photograph on the net showing the correct orientation on the english version :

But I'm a bit sceptical about its authenticity : the copyright date is 1995-1996, which (I believe) is only for the unlimited edition. So, this card should have a blue border, am I right ? And, as far as I know, the blue border version has the wrong orientation, too... ?
It's hard to see because of the lighting, but I'm fairly certain that card does have a blue border. It's just darker than you'd expect, that's all.
Middle Earth and other CCG unboxings, booster openings, and guides: https://www.youtube.com/c/TheCCGCollector
nico21000

I think this one hasn't been reported yet :
Ent-draughts : while the unlimited edition includes an errata and an additionnal quote from the book, as this item has no corruption point it should feature the lidless eye icon at the bottom-right. The french, german, japanese and spanish cards are also lacking the icon. I don't know about other localizations.
entdraughts.jpg
entdraughts.jpg (223.95 KiB) Viewed 9074 times
CDavis7M

nico21000 wrote: Fri Dec 28, 2018 1:25 am Next, not a misprint but a very strange thing I just discovered : the whole Balrog set has a copyright mark for 1998, except for one specific card, what leads me to think that Strider was probably originally intended to be released along with Against the Shadow (maybe as a promotional card ?).
That's a good catch! Though, ICE had been teasing Strider ever since the very beginning of the game. The back of the METW starter box says "Now, with only a pack of cards you can play in Middle-earth, meeting the challenges and sharing the joys and terrors experienced by Strider, Gimli, Legolas, and Frodo."

But the back of the box also says that it "contains a simple-to-use rules booklet."
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

CDavis7M wrote: Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:22 am But the back of the box also says that it "contains a simple-to-use rules booklet."
The booklet IS simple to use. Though no word about whether the content is difficult to understand or not ...
Yegor

nico21000 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2019 7:59 pm I think this one hasn't been reported yet :
Ent-draughts : while the unlimited edition includes an errata and an additionnal quote from the book, as this item has no corruption point it should feature the lidless eye icon at the bottom-right. The french, german, japanese and spanish cards are also lacking the icon. I don't know about other localizations.
There are three more cards of the kind. The Helm of Fear from MEAS and both Balrog weapons. Since they can only be used by a Ringwraith or the Balrog respectively, and neither gives a damn about corruption, hence, I think, is the empty spot.
As to why there is no Eye, well, no item has an Eye.
A very nice find, Nico.
Kjeld

It's odd that Ent-draughts was made as an item at all. Seems like it would have made more sense as a permanent event.
nico21000

This one may fall in the 'errata' category.
"Cave drake" : Both the Wizards and Lidless Eye versions have a 'Dragon' at the very begining of their description, while it should be 'Drake'. Unfixed in french METW and MELE. Unfixed in the challenge decks. The german localization use the 'Drache' term for both 'Dragon' and 'Drake'.
cavedrake.jpg
cavedrake.jpg (542.11 KiB) Viewed 7528 times
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

ICE made it clear it is a dragon, not a drake, no errata, makes no sense for some, but game wise it does for some cards and effects

Return to “Odds, Ends & Hobbit Holes”