PBEM using GCCG

Discussion of the Generic Collectible Card Game engine created by Tommi "wigy" Ronkainen and mantained nowadays by Kodi
davidk64

I've got all but the rare Balrog cards in the bookcase behind me and I never play them. I made a solitaire version up and posted on BGG before I discovered the benefit of reading glasses. (It did away with reading the small print on the cards)

Recently I've discovered the fun of playing various boardgames by email using Vassal e.g. Up Front, Attack Sub, Gunslinger. Hope to start Star Fleet Battles and War of the Ring (SPI) soonish.

I'm sure I'd enjoy Middle Earth by email, I don't mind short and frequent logfile exchanges if needed.

Anybody interested in trying a challenge deck game using GCCG by email?

Do people think it would work? I've had GCCG installed previously but not at present. Holding off re-installing pending any expression of interest and/or confirmation it is workable.

Cheers

David
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

GCCG has plenty of players online again lately, so just check it out and find people to play all the time, I know you are not the best time frame but there will be people online

yours Nicolai aka Vastor
davidk64

I was looking at the manual on sourceforge and saw this entry:

"/savegame
Mode: Play mode
Saves your current game status to the disk in the game server. Each player, player pair, player triple, etc. have one personal save file, which is overwritten each time using this command. Saving the game does not end it, but you can declare undecided result and continue later using /loadgame. This command is automatically applied when one of the players' network connection dies. See also /help delgame."

If pbem was going to work I guess it depends how this /savegame cmd works? If I start a game and save it on the server can somebody else who had not been part of the game load that saved game or is it tied to me only?

I'll keep the online option in mind Nicolai thanks. But my preference is pbem for convenience. I'm suspecting GCCG may not support pbem from browsing the manual?

I see where you can play the original NetRunner on Vassal - shame Middle Earth doesn't have a Vassal mod! (Or is there one lurking out there but not posted on the Vassal site :roll: )
emux

davidk64 wrote: If I start a game and save it on the server can somebody else who had not been part of the game load that saved game or is it tied to me only?
No, its tied to both, you and your opponent.
davidk64

Thanks for the reply emux. I think you are saying that if two people are playing a game (both online at the same time) then doing "/savegame" is tied to those two people.

My question is if I start a game solo and do "/savegame" can somebody else open the resulting save file and continue as the second player? Hence useful for PBEM. I imagine it would be tied to the first person only.

Maybe if two people started a game together to get the initial save file then continued afterwards as PBEM it might work? The first "/savegame" command might set the permissions for both to have access thereafter. Or would the "/savegame" reset the permissions to just the one person when they tried to continue as PBEM? I just don't know! Clutching at straws here as I'd love to play the game PBEM.
emux

davidk64 wrote: My question is if I start a game solo and do "/savegame" can somebody else open the resulting save file and continue as the second player? Hence useful for PBEM. I imagine it would be tied to the first person only.
No, you can only star a solo game on a solo table, and that savegame is tied to your account. No one else can reload the game.
davidk64 wrote: Maybe if two people started a game together to get the initial save file then continued afterwards as PBEM it might work? The first "/savegame" command might set the permissions for both to have access thereafter. Or would the "/savegame" reset the permissions to just the one person when they tried to continue as PBEM? I just don't know! Clutching at straws here as I'd love to play the game PBEM.
It will not work. To reload a game on a table you need both players connected on the same table. GCCG is not thinked in anyway to be played as a PBEM sorry. The only way it may be done via PBEM is with "screenshoots" of a solo game, one solo game for any current player but it looks tedious for my taste. To many taps and untaps. It could take ages finish a single game.
davidk64

Many thanks for the reply even if the news is sad!
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

playing gccg by email? you must be the most patient man on the planet :-). Kudos, patience is rare these days, but per Whatsapp perhaps?
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
davidk64

I really believe it would be excellent! Gives you time to look at the map and plan different strategies based on cards held. Plus read up on how to use cards. I'm playing 3 games of Up Front at present - one is over a 100 logfile exchanges but enjoying it heaps. There's a few CCGs on Vassal which supports PBEM - hopefully somebody will create a module one day. Even if it was just the challenge decks it would be great. I'm getting to know a few of the more prolific Vassal mod creators so maybe I'll be able to convince one of them to take it on.

(I'm still using a non smart mobile phone! That and two cats ...)

Return to “GCCG”