Worlds 2012 Discussion Forum

Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Has anybody heard about plans for Worlds 2012? A discussion is long overdue, if not already too late. :shock:
marcos
Council Member

at Lure if I recall correct, there were some comments about doing it at France, or Spain if France wasn't possible.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I've had talks with both Franck and Kostas to see if hosting worlds this year at Lille, Brussels, or even Paris was an option. Franck declined, and Kostas also implicitly because after that he never got back to me.

We could ask Spain once more, but we should also ask ourselves the question whether we should organize Worlds each year (and this year). It's been my conviction that the interest of competetive players is too minimal to host Worlds each year.

I've asked domse a month ago to present the survey finds, but he's also lost in space it seems. If nobody makes an effort to even respond to mails, I won't be flogging dead horses...
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
marcos
Council Member

i would gladly host it, but the concurrence might not be the best one :lol:
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

i still prefer to have worlds each year. even if its not that frequented as it used to be, it tells the world that MECCG is still out there.
i dont mind to have another worlds in barcelona. marc always said that he is able to do it, but of course he also needs to know some time in advance. i can ask him (i am in contact with him anyway)
marcos
Council Member

agree
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

thorondor wrote:i still prefer to have worlds each year. even if its not that frequented as it used to be, it tells the world that MECCG is still out there.
I agree.

And yes, why not ask Marc to host this year's Worlds in Spain again.
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Well, they have a Worldcup football only every 4 years, it does not mean that football is dead :wink:
Lure shows how alive meccg is, but people come for more than a competetitve tourney and a title. They are not willing to travel and attend such a social gathering twice a year however.

imo the title should be truly an honour, if the same 5-10 people attend only (+some chance locals), by 2020 they'll all have been champ twice. And if we have it in Spain every other year, it is basically a Spanish Open...

But, Barna is a nice place for a weekend at least (I lived there myself for over a year), so ok, ask Marc then. At least it won't be in summer this time...
cram
Ex Council Member

Hi everybody,

I received Wolfgang's message and I found some time to write some lines.

I'd gladly organize World's this year. As I always say, it is a great honor and a lovely pleasure to do it. Unfortunately some job problems won't allow me to do it before November (maybe at the end of October...). I think last year Polish one was on November too. Main problem is that it would be quite close to our national too, which could make us to have not so many participants...

Of course I'd preffer France too. Some months ago I talked about it to Dennis Lepicart; he was quite interested and had some options to try it. I read about inquiries to Frank and Kostas, so I'm gonna write him.

cheers
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

Not sure how I could have missed this post.

Well Marc, anytime before 31th of December would good for a Worlds 2012. Any news from this front?
I don't believe I've heard of Denis Lepicart before, but I would like to.

Is having a nationals and worlds in 1 not an option? Might not be ideal, but could draw many attendents. Just have a single tourney, winner becomes World champ, highest ranking Spanish player becomes Spanish champ. With results of recent years, chances are it'll be the same person :D
highest ranking Catalan becomes Catalan champ...and so forth.
Muad'Dib

Thorsten the Traveller wrote:Not sure how I could have missed this post.

Well Marc, anytime before 31th of December would good for a Worlds 2012. Any news from this front?
I don't believe I've heard of Denis Lepicart before, but I would like to.

Is having a nationals and worlds in 1 not an option? Might not be ideal, but could draw many attendents. Just have a single tourney, winner becomes World champ, highest ranking Spanish player becomes Spanish champ. With results of recent years, chances are it'll be the same person :D
highest ranking Catalan becomes Catalan champ...and so forth.
I also missed these posts and topic, of course its too late for Worlds this year but would like to add two cents of my experience. Too many events per year can discourage people i think. Last year i decided to organize Worlds instead of polish nationals and i think it worked quite well ( i mean polish community), except number of participants (but some people dropped out last week before event).
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
Pentaar

Just a quick remark:

I am fully with Wolfgang on this topic as everything that keeps meccg on the map is important, however, I maybe should not comment too much on it as we just joined the worlds in Cologne and Austria as travelling too far never was an option. Heck, we sometimes even are not able to join Lure. Still, if there are any worlds in Germany or Austria again I can confirm that at least the three of us (Martin, Peter, myself) would join and in case of Germany I would obviously help organizing the event as much as I can.

Hopefully there will be a worlds again this year.

Best,
Wolli
The bigger they are, the harder they fall...

Return to “Council Business - Worlds”