Worlds 2017 - Cologne, Germany

MECCG World Championship discussion forum.
Muad'Dib

Congrats to Patrick. Last year decided one roll, this year one marshalling point. Even beating him in the finals wanst enough :)

Great tournament, thanks Heiner for organizing it ;)

It was very tough tournament. I was very lucky to quality to the finals. Only two places left in the finals and we were 4 players with ?19? TP. And these strange rules, which kicked me out from the finals in 2013, this time gave me the ticket for Sunday.

First game was against Patrick. Hard first round. Didnt expect to stop Fallen Radagast with Snowstorm but it happened :) In one turn, when Patrick decided to move his main company, i wounded almost all characters and later was bouncing them every turn with Snowstorms. In the end i made a small mistake, tried to stopped him from playing item. But probably most imporant was faction, which he played. Game ended 4-2 for me.

Second game played vs Antonio, who was plaing Mordor shuffle. My hazards stopped him few times but in the end he managed to play a lot of points in last turn. So game ended 3-3. Probably my mistake was not to calculate mine and opponent's points. In this case could try to play 1-2 more cards for points in the end.

Last game i faced Karsten. He played quite interesting FW Gandalf deck, without avatar. But, what was another suprise for me, again Snowstorms with Long Winter worked quite well. I won 6-0 but it wasnt enough :( Finished on 2nd place with 13 TPs, one point behind Patrick.

2 cents about my decks. For qualifications i played (vs both alighments) minion in Eriador (so Hillmen, Dunlendings etc). For finals i had Red Hills + Snowstorm against hero/fw and Burn Mordor + Rivers/Ents against minion.
IMustNotFear.FearIsTheMind-Killer.FearIsTheLittle-death ThatBringsTotalObliteration.IWillFaceMyFear.
IWillPermitItToPassOverMeAndThroughMe.
AndWhenItHasGonePast,IWillTurnTheInnerEyeToSeeItsPath.
WhereTheFearHasGoneThereWillBeNothing. OnlyIWillRemain.
DM_Eonwe

Will we see deck lists?
Smaug

Hi all,

below the results of the Worlds 2017:

Sunday Final 4:

1. Patric 14 P. (Fallen Radagast)
2. Pavel 13 P. (Balrog)
3. Antonio 9 P. (Minion)
4. Karsten 0 P. (Fallen Wizard)

Saturday Semifinal:
1. Patric 26 P. (FW)
2. Eric 21 P. (Minion) did not want to play finals so Karsten stepped in
3. Pavel 19 P. (Minion)
4. Antonio 19 P. (FW)
5. Wolfgang 19 P. (Hero)
5. Karsten 19 P. (FW)
7. Heiner 17 P. (FW)
8. Roland 16 P. (Minion)
9. Mario 15 P. (Mario)
10. Mark 15 P. (?)
11. Bernd 14 P. (FW)
11. Christian 14 P. (Hero)
13. Heiko 13 P. (Hero)
14. Andreas 12 P. (Balrog)
15. Nico 8 P. (?)
16. Robert 7 P. (FW)
16. Oscar 7 P. (Hero)

Pretty close qualifier, only 4 Points between Rank 3 and Rank 10 !
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

Smaug wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 1:09 pm 9. Mario 15 P. (Mario)
now thats an interesting alignment.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

DM_Eonwe wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:59 am Will we see deck lists?
I asked all the finalists to send me their decklists. I will upload them on my webpage (fallen-gandalf.net) as soon as I receive them. This will also include my avatarless Fallen Gandalf deck with Bad Company (though it was definitely the wrong deck for the finals :( )
thorondor
Ex Council Chairman

i also enjoyed the weekend a lot! Heiner was a great host, thanks for organizing and showing us around a little bit in Cologne.
i didnt find the time to prepare properly, so i took one of my old decks, which i tuned on the way to the location (one of the many advantages when you travel per train ;-)
so i ended up playing my version of a Speed Dwarves in Eriador deck. find the lists attached here.

round 1: Christian (hero) 6:0
this game was basically over after the first turn. He was going first, and i had 7 hazards on my hand. i managed to kill/wound his main company, and he never recovered properly. i played it rather save (only one Dwarven compnay), though fast enough, not letting him get back into the game. he annoyed me with influencing away 2 of my factions, still i doubled item points, so it was ended 6:0. Funny fact: we both played Short Rest, but i was the only one to play one copy in the last round …

round 2: Karsten (FW Radagast) 0:6
2 things are predominant on my mind about this game: my wizard was killed by an Assassin quite early in the game. i was able to slow him down a little bit (no Girlde), aiming for at least 1 TP, which was quite realistic. but then thing 2 happened: i completely screwed up playing Revealed to All Watchers. i put the Hero resource cards back on the discard pile (instead of the draw deck). i even wondered when i didnt draw the cards as expected, but i thought that i accidentally shuffeled the deck because of some mechanics. when finishing the deck i still havent drawn the cards i so thouroughly needed, so i checked the discard pile and found out what happened. no Tom and no Dunlendings, which would have been both playable with companies standing at the corresponding sites. Bummer!

round 3: Mario (minion) 4:2
Cant remember that much about this game. My deck worked quite well, while he had a bad start (no MP cards). Some early Short Rests helped a lot. Also my hazards worked decently, slowing him down and getting him stuck with hand cards. He was trying to do some Underdeeps stuff, which i was able to prevent with The Way Is Shut. Also in this game my wizard was wounded, but not killed – which is okay, cause A Chance Meeting was doing the job.

round 4: Nico (FW) 5:1
again my deck performed solidly. And his hazards did almost nothing to me. At one point i asked if he isnt playing any Assassins. Fact was he didnt draw any. Manoevering 3 companies i was really fast, heading for a rather easy win.

round 5: Roland (minion) 4:2
Roland played his well known Mordor deck. Not what my hazards versus minion were focussed on. So i sideboarded early Golodhros and Stench of Morder. But the first came late and did only some minor damage. The second was the last card in the deck. I knew he could make only that much MPs with this deck, so all i needed to do is to have more in the end (what a revelation, haha), which should be the case following the plan, provided no hiccups from the draw deck nor myself. Fortunately, again i could rely on my own deck, also because his hazards (corruption) didnt bother me too much as well. While i felt quite safe during this game, it was only a close win by some few MPs.

so i ended up with 19 TPs, along with 3 other players. it´s tie breaker time again like at last Worlds - which means, nobody knows for sure and we need to consult the COE tourney rules. i was placed #5 over all, but since Eric has announced before the tourney, that he wont be playing finals on Sunday in case of qualification, i had the option of playing TOP4. but i also opted out, rather looking forward to a relaxed drinking game eveing, go to bed late, have some fun games on Sunday and watch the finals (also i was not prepared at all, since i didnt bring any other decks or at least alternative cards for a decent sideboard).
there was no real drinking game later, just a couple of players would have participated. so we played "normal" with lots of drinking (some of us agreed about applying Drinking Game rules during the game). thanks to heiner for sponsoring that excellent Highland Park whisky.
Dwarves on speed (min) WC Cologne2017.docx
(14.24 KiB) Downloaded 318 times
Dwarves on speed (heroFW) WC Cologne 2017.doc.docx
(14.52 KiB) Downloaded 316 times
DM_Eonwe

Shapeshifter wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 7:11 pm
DM_Eonwe wrote: Thu Oct 26, 2017 5:59 am Will we see deck lists?
I asked all the finalists to send me their decklists. I will upload them on my webpage (fallen-gandalf.net) as soon as I receive them. This will also include my avatarless Fallen Gandalf deck with Bad Company (though it was definitely the wrong deck for the finals :( )
Thanks a lot! But wouldn't it be better to have it here online, too?
Grishnakh

Hi all,
for me it was the first time @ a ME world championship.
It was an amazing event for me, playing and enjoing 2 days with such great ME players, thanks to all of you!
Special thanks goes to Heiner, who made that weekend possible.
Respect and thnaks,
Heiko /Grishnakh [-me_eye-]
Hope we see us @ lure again [-me_ccc-]
Cheers,
Heiko / Grishnakh
Patric

Finally I managed to write my tournament Report! ;-)

I played with my well known Fallen Radagast, which scored more than 30 points in every game. If I had been sure that there were 5 turns, then I could also have played my One Ring deck, be-cause with three dunks you’re probably in the finals. However, in 4 turns dunking three times is much harder because you also have to rely on your dices.
Round 1 Mario (Balrog) 5:1

He played a Balrog deck in ruin and Lairs and my Maias/Elf-Lords worked quite well. I was able to stop him from playing anything in the first two turns, so I was mean, because I started the Easterling Express to draw many cards while I knew that Mario would probably have many re-sources on his hand. I was able to control the game from the beginning and also could play The Way is Shut one time…the only thing was that I was not able to draw My Precious to prevent him from playing Stinker. And until the last turn I thought that would be a 6-0 for me. Mario made a really good last turn even when I wounded his Balrog at the Under-leas. He played Whctk and an Hill Troll for the Axe and I guess he played Orcs of Moria and so that it was even close to become a 4:2 instead of 6:0. Final MP Score 32:21

Round 2 Mark Alfano (Lidless Eye) 6:0

I was glad to play against Mark in the second turn, because we have not had the chance to play often against each other. In his first turn he moved with two Lieutenants to a Dragon-lair. I was able to wound one of them and rolled a 9 on the body check so that he had to discard him. I thought this was a good first turn but then he entered and played with Whctk The Mouth and Ice-Orcs. He played DoN against me to protect himself from the Elf-Lords. In the second turn he played Lidless Eye, another 3 mp character and the Great Eye. He killed my dwarves and can-celed my Maia attack and played Thong of Fire. After these two turn I thought his companies are now really untouchable and he was in the lead. He continued playing the Great Eye where you reduce the hazad limit by 1 and can cancel any event. Therefore, I played ma Dwarven Travel-er’s always without Chill them with Fear, because he would cancel this hazard anyway and I only had one limit left. So I decided to give him one point for the Dwarves and play at least one Maia. At turn three, the Favor of Valar shifted to my side and Mark’s rolls have been very bad. So I was able to wound his super strong characters and even discard them. My deck performed quite well even when Mark turned Wheathertop two times into a Shadowhold so that I was not able to play my wolves there. The second time, I just moved with Farmer Maggot to the Old Forrest to play Tom. And in the last turn I played Mouth of Sauron on him that he had to take The Mouth to his hand again. At the end there was not much left from his formerly strong companies and my items and allies doubled so that it was a clear win for me. Final MP Score 3x:1x

A funny side note: All of my next three opponents made it to the final even if they had lost against me. ;-) And one interesting information after three turns in the Top 4 were 3 Fallen and one Minion deck.

Round 3 Karsten (Fallen Radagast) 6:0

We both played Fallen Radagast, but I was lucky enough to draw him on my first turn. I rolled 7 to start and Karsten 6. And Karsten had Radagast on the first hand, too. I think for his deck (he played the Tiger) Radagast is more important than for me. It was a nice start and I was able to play the key cards before him. In addition, my Maias slowed him down a lot. Therefore, this combination lead to a Final MP Score 32:12

Round 4 Antonio (Fallen Saruman) 5:1

He had a company at Ettenmoors squatting all the time at a haven while playing the Troll fac-tions. With Saruman he also stayed at a haven and played the Wizard’s Ring and Free to Choose. He played a lot of character points and so you couldn’t really avoid that he was scoring point above 20 I tried on Muster Disperses but much more was not playable against his Haven-squatting companies. This deck is really safe but you don’t have the chance to score too high ;-) (Antonio please correct me if I’m wrong ;-)) So I ended up with a final MP Score: 33:22
Round 5 Pawel (Lidless Eye) 4:2

He played a Minion Deck in Eriador region. The funny thing was, that he didn’t attack me even when he was travelling next to me. I thought about attacking his company, too. I had many wolves and characters for -1 as an extra strike and Faramir is not the weakest. I asked Pawel at the end and he said, that he thought about it the same as I did. ;-)
He avoided the Elf-lord with his DoN and faced my Maias without big losses. That’s why we scored well and ended with a Final MP Score 38:32

Four people had 19 points and only two can make it to the finals…surprisingly Heiner and Mark didn’t make it to the finals, once again. As you can see there is a very high level of players, where every single game is a challenge.

We ended up at 22.00 and therefore I decided to skip the drinking game and focus on the finals tomorrow ☺

I talked to Heiner about his bad luck and how close he came to the finals even if he lost two games…but Mark forbade me to talk to Heiner, because they wanted to start the Drinking game and Heiner had not opened a single Booster while Mark had been building his deck and was waiting for the start.
Heiner was in a good mood and took everything easy…the drinking game ended around 4 pm…

Aturn Midnight, I was going to my room and wanted to decide which deck I was going to play and what kind of hazards I wanted to change. I had the following choices: To use my Fallen Radagast, a new Deck, which I built only for Finals, or my One Ring deck.
I didn’t want to play the One Ring again, because I thought that the opponents would have extra hazards in their deck which makes it even harder to dunk. Moreover, I had only tested my new deck once with Hans-Werner (thanks again for the game)…so I thought Heiner is not in the fi-nals. I could risk it to play my Fallen Radagast again, because it had performed so well and I can play it even if you wake me up in the night.
The first decision was made….now I looked over my hazard list to decide what I wanted to change here. But because I didn’t know what the others would play and the hazard deck was already so nicely balanced to my resource side… I didn’t change a single card in the deck.

Round 1 Pawel (Balrog)

I knew that this would be a close game and for the first time my resource side was struggling!
He went first and he was staying all the time at the Worthy Hills and turned it into a Shadow hold. Nearly all of my hazards were unplayable. I have had one Pukel-men and I sideboarded Arthedain Rangers but his strong characters could handle that easily. I started playing all my Maias as a permanent event. But I also had to take care that I had some Elf-lord for him if he changed his mind and attacked me at the Weathertop. So my hazards did little damage to him and my resources went really bad, too. In my first turn, I played Hiding and one Wolf and tried the faction with a 4 but he played Foolish Words on guard so I missed the influence check. I have Smoke Rings and Longbottom Leaf in my starting hand as well so I decided to play on of them for Tom and Escape (in case he attacked me). In the second turn I didn’t have a character in Rhosgobel for Easterling Express and nothing to play on Weathertop even if I had another Hiding. But I drew Tom and knew I took a wrong decision and started to move to Old Forest in-stead of safely squatting. He played two Cave drakes….Annalena got killed and three others were wounded. I still had one untapped character but he tapped Old Forest with Long Winter. And three turns later he sent me back with Snowstorm. I knew that it would be probably like this as I saw the first Snowstorm. So nothing to play on Weathertop and my company at Rhosgobel slowly came to work. There was only one chance if I wanted to avoid a 0:6. I needed to get more turns. ;-) And now I started to play really fast (to know my deck that good was helping a lot). I finished my turns in a minimum of time…and because my hazards could do only a minor damage to Pawel I also focused more on my resource play and thought about sideboarding why Pavel still had his turn. I played as fast that I was able to get 6 allies in Rhosgobel, so I could play the Girdle but Pawel also recognized that I slowly recovered and he called the council. Maybe I should have checked how many cards he had so that I wouldn’t have used the Easterling ex-press anymore…I played my only item in the Under Deeps because of Snowstorm and Faramir were able to get the faction in my last turn, too. I forgot to tap the Balrog at Moria so he played the Orcs of Moria. The Final Score was pretty close and if I would have had one more turn, I think I had won this game. Pawel played really well maybe he could have risked a little bit more (attacking me) but he deserved the win. Final MP Score 21:27

Round 2 Karsten (Fallen Gandalf)

He changed his deck to a brand new Fallen Gandalf version…without playing Gandalf at all. Because his intention was to play the Minion Orcs with a Home site at any dark-hold in Cirith Ungol etc. He was standing there with one Orc at a dark-hold and cancelled the auto attack and played a 4 MP item. That is a really nice idea and I also thought about something like this long ago but didn’t bring it to work. One problem for Karsten was that I played all of my Maias and Dwarves successfully on the other companies and even though he played two 4 MP items, I could kill one of them and because he was alone, he lost the item. I had Golodhros as an Agent, which was very helpful, too. One problem is that these Orcs can’t use the items they play and if there is an attack they don't get the +3 prowess from Ocrist. I called even without an item, be-cause his other source of points was only 6 character points. I just had to take care about him not getting any other points, which I was really confident about. I forgot one thing…he used Farmer Maggot against my attack, so that he was able to play a 2MP ally. I could stop the other companies from scoring. Final MP Score 38:16

Pawel tied with Antonio 32:32 and the ranking after two turns was:

1. Antonio 9 TP
2. Patric 8 TP
3. Pawel 7 TP
4. Karsten 0 TP

Three people could become World Champion, but the best thing was that I had the control about the title. If I won 6:0 against Antonio than I would be the champion. If Pawel won 6:0 and I only 5:1, then he would have the direct win against me. I “just” had to win 6:0 against Antonio.

Round 3 Antonio (Taladhan/Akhrorahil/Malady)

I knew this would be probably a 6:0 for me or for him, which is very good. Against his Fallen Saruman, squatting at a haven, it would be very difficult to win 6:0.
First, I have to say Antonio is a really nice player who is smiling at you even when his decks is suffering a lot. If you played something wrong and you asked him if you could change it, he smiled to you and said yes! This can’t be expected in a Worlds Final. Therefore, the atmosphere was really nice even if I was always scared about his Maladys. ;-)
He moved to Cameth Brin in turn 1 while playing “only” two I’ll report you. I was lucky to get my faction and one wolf in turn 1 and played it there, because until turn 2 Antonio tried to attack and Malady me for the whole game. He didn’t care that I had played Maias and Elf-Lords as a pro-tection against such decks. Since I knew that he would hardly get points besides the kill points from my characters, I decided to move to The White Towers as a haven (he’s not able to attack me there, just Malady is working). I was lucky to get Radagast and the Glove of Radagast early in the game, so that I would play all the allies and characters in Rhosgobel.
For the Girdle I needed one more ally, so I moved from The White Towers to Old Forest. The good thing there is the attacks vs. minions 2 strikes at 15. But Antonio wasn’t scared about that even if most of his characters had been already wounded. My only mission was to kill Taladhan. I attacked him hard and played a river and was sure he would do nothing this turn. But he played a resource on his wounded Taladhan through which he could heal and he then tapped for the river. The auto attack wounded Taladhan again and now he had -1 on Body because of this card he played. He survived again. I think I did 5 body checks in the whole game against Taladhan…he’s a tough guy.

At the end, I want to thank Heiner for the organization. We played in the room Turku where I have won my First World Championship 2011 in Finland…so it was almost compelling for me to win under these circumstances. ;-)

I will keep this weekend in fond memory and am looking forward to the Lure!!!

Best regards,

Patric
MECCG WM 2017 Decklist Fallen Radagast.xlsx
(15.9 KiB) Downloaded 313 times
Patric

Patric wrote:Finally I managed to write my tournament Report! ;-)

I played with my well known Fallen Radagast, which scored more than 30 points in every game. If I had been sure that there were 5 turns, then I could also have played my One Ring deck, be-cause with three dunks you’re probably in the finals. However, in 4 turns dunking three times is much harder because you also have to rely on your dices.
Round 1 Mario (Balrog) 5:1

He played a Balrog deck in ruin and Lairs and my Maias/Elf-Lords worked quite well. I was able to stop him from playing anything in the first two turns, so I was mean, because I started the Easterling Express to draw many cards while I knew that Mario would probably have many re-sources on his hand. I was able to control the game from the beginning and also could play The Way is Shut one time…the only thing was that I was not able to draw My Precious to prevent him from playing Stinker. And until the last turn I thought that would be a 6-0 for me. Mario made a really good last turn even when I wounded his Balrog at the Under-leas. He played Whctk and an Hill Troll for the Axe and I guess he played Orcs of Moria and so that it was even close to become a 4:2 instead of 6:0. Final MP Score 32:21

Round 2 Mark Alfano (Lidless Eye) 6:0

I was glad to play against Mark in the second turn, because we have not had the chance to play often against each other. In his first turn he moved with two Lieutenants to a Dragon-lair. I was able to wound one of them and rolled a 9 on the body check so that he had to discard him. I thought this was a good first turn but then he entered and played with Whctk The Mouth and Ice-Orcs. He played DoN against me to protect himself from the Elf-Lords. In the second turn he played Lidless Eye, another 3 mp character and the Great Eye. He killed my dwarves and can-celed my Maia attack and played Thong of Fire. After these two turn I thought his companies are now really untouchable and he was in the lead. He continued playing the Great Eye where you reduce the hazad limit by 1 and can cancel any event. Therefore, I played ma Dwarven Travel-er’s always without Chill them with Fear, because he would cancel this hazard anyway and I only had one limit left. So I decided to give him one point for the Dwarves and play at least one Maia. At turn three, the Favor of Valar shifted to my side and Mark’s rolls have been very bad. So I was able to wound his super strong characters and even discard them. My deck performed quite well even when Mark turned Wheathertop two times into a Shadowhold so that I was not able to play my wolves there. The second time, I just moved with Farmer Maggot to the Old Forrest to play Tom. And in the last turn I played Mouth of Sauron on him that he had to take The Mouth to his hand again. At the end there was not much left from his formerly strong companies and my items and allies doubled so that it was a clear win for me. Final MP Score 3x:1x

A funny side note: All of my next three opponents made it to the final even if they had lost against me. ;-) And one interesting information after three turns in the Top 4 were 3 Fallen and one Minion deck.

Round 3 Karsten (Fallen Radagast) 6:0

We both played Fallen Radagast, but I was lucky enough to draw him on my first turn. I rolled 7 to start and Karsten 6. And Karsten had Radagast on the first hand, too. I think for his deck (he played the Tiger) Radagast is more important than for me. It was a nice start and I was able to play the key cards before him. In addition, my Maias slowed him down a lot. Therefore, this combination lead to a Final MP Score 32:12

Round 4 Antonio (Fallen Saruman) 5:1

He had a company at Ettenmoors squatting all the time at a haven while playing the Troll fac-tions. With Saruman he also stayed at a haven and played the Wizard’s Ring and Free to Choose. He played a lot of character points and so you couldn’t really avoid that he was scoring point above 20 I tried on Muster Disperses but much more was not playable against his Haven-squatting companies. This deck is really safe but you don’t have the chance to score too high ;-) (Antonio please correct me if I’m wrong ;-)) So I ended up with a final MP Score: 33:22
Round 5 Pawel (Lidless Eye) 4:2

He played a Minion Deck in Eriador region. The funny thing was, that he didn’t attack me even when he was travelling next to me. I thought about attacking his company, too. I had many wolves and characters for -1 as an extra strike and Faramir is not the weakest. I asked Pawel at the end and he said, that he thought about it the same as I did. ;-)
He avoided the Elf-lord with his DoN and faced my Maias without big losses. That’s why we scored well and ended with a Final MP Score 38:32

Four people had 19 points and only two can make it to the finals…surprisingly Heiner and Mark didn’t make it to the finals, once again. As you can see there is a very high level of players, where every single game is a challenge.

We ended up at 22.00 and therefore I decided to skip the drinking game and focus on the finals tomorrow Image

I talked to Heiner about his bad luck and how close he came to the finals even if he lost two games…but Mark forbade me to talk to Heiner, because they wanted to start the Drinking game and Heiner had not opened a single Booster while Mark had been building his deck and was waiting for the start.
Heiner was in a good mood and took everything easy…the drinking game ended around 4 pm…

Aturn Midnight, I was going to my room and wanted to decide which deck I was going to play and what kind of hazards I wanted to change. I had the following choices: To use my Fallen Radagast, a new Deck, which I built only for Finals, or my One Ring deck.
I didn’t want to play the One Ring again, because I thought that the opponents would have extra hazards in their deck which makes it even harder to dunk. Moreover, I had only tested my new deck once with Hans-Werner (thanks again for the game)…so I thought Heiner is not in the fi-nals. I could risk it to play my Fallen Radagast again, because it had performed so well and I can play it even if you wake me up in the night.
The first decision was made….now I looked over my hazard list to decide what I wanted to change here. But because I didn’t know what the others would play and the hazard deck was already so nicely balanced to my resource side… I didn’t change a single card in the deck.

Round 1 Pawel (Balrog)

I knew that this would be a close game and for the first time my resource side was struggling!
He went first and he was staying all the time at the Worthy Hills and turned it into a Shadow hold. Nearly all of my hazards were unplayable. I have had one Pukel-men and I sideboarded Arthedain Rangers but his strong characters could handle that easily. I started playing all my Maias as a permanent event. But I also had to take care that I had some Elf-lord for him if he changed his mind and attacked me at the Weathertop. So my hazards did little damage to him and my resources went really bad, too. In my first turn, I played Hiding and one Wolf and tried the faction with a 4 but he played Foolish Words on guard so I missed the influence check. I have Smoke Rings and Longbottom Leaf in my starting hand as well so I decided to play on of them for Tom and Escape (in case he attacked me). In the second turn I didn’t have a character in Rhosgobel for Easterling Express and nothing to play on Weathertop even if I had another Hiding. But I drew Tom and knew I took a wrong decision and started to move to Old Forest in-stead of safely squatting. He played two Cave drakes….Annalena got killed and three others were wounded. I still had one untapped character but he tapped Old Forest with Long Winter. And three turns later he sent me back with Snowstorm. I knew that it would be probably like this as I saw the first Snowstorm. So nothing to play on Weathertop and my company at Rhosgobel slowly came to work. There was only one chance if I wanted to avoid a 0:6. I needed to get more turns. ;-) And now I started to play really fast (to know my deck that good was helping a lot). I finished my turns in a minimum of time…and because my hazards could do only a minor damage to Pawel I also focused more on my resource play and thought about sideboarding why Pavel still had his turn. I played as fast that I was able to get 6 allies in Rhosgobel, so I could play the Girdle but Pawel also recognized that I slowly recovered and he called the council. Maybe I should have checked how many cards he had so that I wouldn’t have used the Easterling ex-press anymore…I played my only item in the Under Deeps because of Snowstorm and Faramir were able to get the faction in my last turn, too. I forgot to tap the Balrog at Moria so he played the Orcs of Moria. The Final Score was pretty close and if I would have had one more turn, I think I had won this game. Pawel played really well maybe he could have risked a little bit more (attacking me) but he deserved the win. Final MP Score 21:27

Round 2 Karsten (Fallen Gandalf)

He changed his deck to a brand new Fallen Gandalf version…without playing Gandalf at all. Because his intention was to play the Minion Orcs with a Home site at any dark-hold in Cirith Ungol etc. He was standing there with one Orc at a dark-hold and cancelled the auto attack and played a 4 MP item. That is a really nice idea and I also thought about something like this long ago but didn’t bring it to work. One problem for Karsten was that I played all of my Maias and Dwarves successfully on the other companies and even though he played two 4 MP items, I could kill one of them and because he was alone, he lost the item. I had Golodhros as an Agent, which was very helpful, too. One problem is that these Orcs can’t use the items they play and if there is an attack they don't get the +3 prowess from Ocrist. I called even without an item, be-cause his other source of points was only 6 character points. I just had to take care about him not getting any other points, which I was really confident about. I forgot one thing…he used Farmer Maggot against my attack, so that he was able to play a 2MP ally. I could stop the other companies from scoring. Final MP Score 38:16

Pawel tied with Antonio 32:32 and the ranking after two turns was:

1. Antonio 9 TP
2. Patric 8 TP
3. Pawel 7 TP
4. Karsten 0 TP

Three people could become World Champion, but the best thing was that I had the control about the title. If I won 6:0 against Antonio than I would be the champion. If Pawel won 6:0 and I only 5:1, then he would have the direct win against me. I “just” had to win 6:0 against Antonio.

Round 3 Antonio (Taladhan/Akhrorahil/Malady)

I knew this would be probably a 6:0 for me or for him, which is very good. Against his Fallen Saruman, squatting at a haven, it would be very difficult to win 6:0.
First, I have to say Antonio is a really nice player who is smiling at you even when his decks is suffering a lot. If you played something wrong and you asked him if you could change it, he smiled to you and said yes! This can’t be expected in a Worlds Final. Therefore, the atmosphere was really nice even if I was always scared about his Maladys. ;-)
He moved to Cameth Brin in turn 1 while playing “only” two I’ll report you. I was lucky to get my faction and one wolf in turn 1 and played it there, because until turn 2 Antonio tried to attack and Malady me for the whole game. He didn’t care that I had played Maias and Elf-Lords as a pro-tection against such decks. Since I knew that he would hardly get points besides the kill points from my characters, I decided to move to The White Towers as a haven (he’s not able to attack me there, just Malady is working). I was lucky to get Radagast and the Glove of Radagast early in the game, so that I would play all the allies and characters in Rhosgobel.
For the Girdle I needed one more ally, so I moved from The White Towers to Old Forest. The good thing there is the attacks vs. minions 2 strikes at 15. But Antonio wasn’t scared about that even if most of his characters had been already wounded. My only mission was to kill Taladhan. I attacked him hard and played a river and was sure he would do nothing this turn. But he played a resource on his wounded Taladhan through which he could heal and he then tapped for the river. The auto attack wounded Taladhan again and now he had -1 on Body because of this card he played. He survived again. I think I did 5 body checks in the whole game against Taladhan…he’s a tough guy.

At the end, I want to thank Heiner for the organization. We played in the room Turku where I have won my First World Championship 2011 in Finland…so it was almost compelling for me to win under these circumstances. ;-)

I will keep this weekend in fond memory and am looking forward to the Lure!!!

Best regards,

Patric
The attachment MECCG WM 2017 Decklist Fallen Radagast.xlsx is no longer available
IMG_3715.JPG
IMG_3715.JPG (355.29 KiB) Viewed 12268 times

Gesendet von iPhone mit Tapatalk
Khamul the Easterling
Ex Council Member

Congratulations, Patric!
Thanks everyone for your reports and photos!
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Nice reports! Thanks guys. I have not much to add.

One curiosity about my game vs. Wolfgang: We both played with Short Rest but the first A Short Rest was played during our last turn. :shock:

The finals were a bit disappointing for me. Well, I was only a substitute for Eric who refused to play. I said to myself: Hey, I have nothing to lose. Maybe that was the reason why I played an almost untested (2 playtests vs. Mario), completely new deck. The deck was fun to play but probably not the best deck for the finals this year.

Btw Patric, your draw for the starting hand is unbelievable, at least when we play each other :wink: Last year in the semi-finals when we both played FW Radagast you started and played Radagast on your 1st trun. Later in the finals when we both played One Ring you had your Wizard and the Scroll in your starting hand. This year you played Radagast before me, again. :evil: I hope there will be a chance for revenge :lol:

I uploaded my decklist of the finals and Patric's as well at fallen-gandalf.net. I plan to post my deck with some additional playing tips in the decks section of this forum too in the near future.
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Shapeshifter wrote: Fri Nov 10, 2017 9:04 pm I plan to post my deck with some additional playing tips in the decks section of this forum too in the near future.
Done, see here.
Jiri

Hi is there deck list Antonio Flores or Pawel Ziółkowski played during the event?
Thank you
Shapeshifter
Ex Council Member

Jiri wrote: Sun Apr 01, 2018 8:38 am Hi is there deck list Antonio Flores or Pawel Ziółkowski played during the event?
Thank you
I asked both of them for their deck lists. From Pawel I know that he doesn't have a list and his deck doesn't exist anymore, unfortunately. I didn't receive an answer to my PM from Antonio, yet. Patric's and my deck are uploaded at my webpage.

Return to “Worlds”