[Hero vs Hero] Minas Tirith

Post your decks, discuss strategy, ask for tips, etc.
Mordakai
Council Member

Hi there, as someone asked for the finalist's decks of Worlds 2013, here is mine:

####
Deck
####

# Hazard

1 Adûnaphel (TW)
1 Akhôrahil (TW)
3 An Unexpected Outpost (DM)
3 Assassin (TW)
3 Cave Worm (TD)
1 Daelomin at Home (TD)
1 Dwar of Waw (TW)
1 Hoarmûrath of Dír (TW)
1 Indûr Dawndeath (TW)
1 Khamûl the Easterling (TW)
1 Many Sorrows Befall (TD)
1 Mouth of Sauron (TW)
1 My Precious (DM)
1 No Way Forward (DM)
2 Power Built by Waiting (AS)
1 Ren the Unclean (TW)
2 River (TW)
2 Twilight (TW)
1 Witch-king of Angmar (TW)
1 Ûvatha the Horseman (TW)
1 Baduila (DM)

# Hero Character (3)

1 Alatar [H] (TW)
2 Gandalf [H] (TW)

# Hero Resource (30)

2 A Chance Meeting (TW)
2 And Forth He Hastened (TD)
3 Concealment (TW)
3 Dark Quarrels (TW)
1 Fireworks (DM)
2 Forewarned Is Forearmed (DM)
2 Hiding (TW)
3 Longbottom Leaf (BA)
2 Marvels Told (TD)
1 No Waiting to Wonder (DM)
3 Noble Steed (WH)
3 Sapling of the White Tree (TW)
3 Smoke Rings (DM)

####
Pool
####

# Hero Character (10)

1 Aragorn II (TW)
1 Arwen (TW)
1 Bilbo (TW)
1 Círdan (TW)
1 Fatty Bolger (PR)
1 Frodo (TW)
1 Glorfindel II (TW)
1 Halbarad (TW)
1 Sam Gamgee (TW)
1 Strider (BA)

# Hero Resource (2)

1 Cram (TD)
1 Elf-stone (TW)

#########
Sideboard
#########

# Hazard (11)

2 Beorning Skin-changers (BA)
1 Durin's Bane (DM)
1 Eärcaraxë Ahunt (TD)
3 Morgul-horse (TW)
1 News of Doom (LE)
1 Rolled down to the Sea (WH)
2 The Ring Will Have But One Master (LE)

# Hero Character (2)

1 Thorin II (TW)
1 Théoden (TW)

# Hero Resource (17)

1 A Chance Meeting (TW)
1 Align Palantír (TW)
1 Choice of Lúthien (DM)
2 Fireworks (DM)
1 Hour of Need (DM)
1 Men of Anórien (TW)
1 Noble Hound (DM)
1 Palantír of Minas Tirith [H] (TW)
1 Red Arrow (TW)
1 Return of the King (TW)
1 Riders of Rohan (TW)
1 The White Tree (TW)
2 To Fealty Sworn (BA)
1 Tower Guard of Minas Tirith (TW)
1 Wizard's Voice (TW)

################
Sideboard vs. fw
################

# Hazard (10)

3 Cruel Claw Perceived (WH)
3 Heart Grown Cold (WH)
2 Mask Torn (WH)
2 Power Relinquished to Artifice (WH)

Versus Minion I used this hazards (same resources):

9 All Nazgûl
5 All Maia
1 Lady of the Golden Wood
3 Elf Lord revealed in Wrath
3 Headless Revelry
3 Nameless Thing
3 An Unexpected Outpost
3 River

As you can see, only saplings and Noble Steeds in the deck, the rest of the Marshalling Points are in the sideboard to catch them once you hace played the sapling and heading to Minas Tirith, so maximum use of Longbottoms, Smoke Rings and tapping the Wizard is needed. You can sideboard to discards with the wizard the two factions and the palantir and later grab them with Choice of Lúthien. Hour of need/Rohirrim/Red arrow are there if more MP needed, as well as Theoden to Chance meet' him. In the end, The two big sources for MP should be miscellaneous and characters, the rest only to avoid opponet double his.

For finals on sunday I only changed 3x Morgul Horse in the sideboard (not used a single time on saturday) for 3 x Call of Home.
C'mon, not the Elves of Lindon AGAIN...
Muzgash

Thanks again for posting. So from the starting pool you usually try to start with Aragorn,Arwen,Fatty, and Frodo? I wasn't really sure from your tournament report. Also, do you normally go around as one company, or do you split off into several?
Mordakai
Council Member

Hey, I didn't realized you question here, sorry for answering so late :oops:
The starting company is Aragorn, Fatty (under Aragorn), Bilbo and Arwen (under Bilbo thanks to Elf Stone).
The company stays all the time together, they move to Buhr Widu the first turn (cram discarded) to play sapling and steed(s), and after that they head to Minas Tirith to get there all the points.
When the wizard comes, sideboard all turns untill you get a 8-minder, and then head to Minas Tirith to firework it as needed (wizard and 8-minders are sages), or try to get the Red Arrow first and then go there.
With A Chande Meeting, Wizards Voce, To Fealthy Sworn and Red Arrow you should try to get as much MP from characters as possible, here you have the perfect (and almost impossible) situation you can reach for the final turn:

If you are a bit lucky, you can get even more MP from characters than a Balrog player :wink: It's very difficult to get all of them, specially the Wizard's Voice trick, but 12-13 Character MP are easy to get.

You can give the Red Arrow to Frodo to make the Hour of Need with the Riders of Rohan and then pass it to Bilbo for taking Theoden under him. As you can see, a lot of things to take from the sideboard, that's the reason of having 3 x Longbottom and 3 x Smoke Rings, and even with that the wizard will have to sideboard almost every turn (remember, first sb of the wizard should be the two factions and the palantir to the discard, to use the Choice of Luthien later).

Any more questions, just ask.

Regards
Muzgash

Thanks Mordakai. Really cool deck, and that it is pretty in theme with the books is a nice bonus!
Mordakai
Council Member

I love it, Aragorn is my favorite character in the game...
The idea of the deck is borrowed from another spanish player, Manuel, I took his deck and changet it a little to make it more efficient (IMO).
Best regards
Sauron
Ex Council Chairman

Why run assassins and forewarned? Isn't that counter productive?
Mordakai
Council Member

Yes, sometimes. Forewarned is for the travel to Minas Tirith and waiting there for the tree, but yes, sometimes can screw your own assassins. The trick is: go to Minas Tirith, receive an assasin, play forewarned, play No Wait to Wonder with the hobbit and then kill the assassin (easy even with Arwen) and remove forewarned. 2 MP and way clear to play your own assassins. Sometimes happens, sometimes not...
Benobiwan

Hi, I have seen your explanations about your deck. I regularlay play METW with friends but e use the rules given withe the starters and I don't understand how you can go to Buhr Widu in the first turn from Rivendell.

Do the tournamet rules allow to start at Lorien?
Do you Know if there is METW tournaments in France?

Mordakai wrote:Hey, I didn't realized you question here, sorry for answering so late :oops:
The starting company is Aragorn, Fatty (under Aragorn), Bilbo and Arwen (under Bilbo thanks to Elf Stone).
The company stays all the time together, they move to Buhr Widu the first turn (cram discarded) to play sapling and steed(s), and after that they head to Minas Tirith to get there all the points.
When the wizard comes, sideboard all turns untill you get a 8-minder, and then head to Minas Tirith to firework it as needed (wizard and 8-minders are sages), or try to get the Red Arrow first and then go there.
With A Chande Meeting, Wizards Voce, To Fealthy Sworn and Red Arrow you should try to get as much MP from characters as possible, here you have the perfect (and almost impossible) situation you can reach for the final turn:

If you are a bit lucky, you can get even more MP from characters than a Balrog player :wink: It's very difficult to get all of them, specially the Wizard's Voice trick, but 12-13 Character MP are easy to get.

You can give the Red Arrow to Frodo to make the Hour of Need with the Riders of Rohan and then pass it to Bilbo for taking Theoden under him. As you can see, a lot of things to take from the sideboard, that's the reason of having 3 x Longbottom and 3 x Smoke Rings, and even with that the wizard will have to sideboard almost every turn (remember, first sb of the wizard should be the two factions and the palantir to the discard, to use the Choice of Luthien later).

Any more questions, just ask.

Regards
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

He uses Cram -> do move 5 regions

Return to “Decks, Strategy, Tips, Ideas”