UEPs or DCEs

Moderators: Thorsten the Traveller, Vastor Peredhil

Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

Hi all, some say UEPs are dead, never the less I like a more dynamic mechanism for creating (former UEPs) now DCEs for our game:

1st trials

Skies of Fire:
Environment. When Skies of Fire is played,
all hazard environment cards in play are immediately discarded, and all hazard enviroment effects are canceled. This card acts as Gates of Morning for the purpose of interpretation hazards. Cannot be duplicated.
New Version:
Environment. When Skies of Fire is played,
all hazard environment cards and Gates of Morning in play are immediately discarded, and all hazard enviroment effects are canceled. This card is not discarded by the play of Doors of Night, but rather when Gates of Morning is played. Cannot be duplicated.
A new version is sourly needed, for these no Doors of Night minion decks, well there are none, not playing it is a risk, as most stuff like Chill & Elf-lords are worse with Doors on the table. Now the UEP elf-lord has solves one issues. Skies of Fire still does not help you. A new version which at least does not allow these Elf-lords (UEPed) to attack you again in [-me_sl-] was really, really needed

Lets get some opinions in!
Vastor Peredhil
Council Member

okay, 42 views no replies ;(

so if we cannot get a UEP for it, how should a usable DCE version look like?
toub

Well to be honest I can't form an opinion, I don't feel experienced enough with LE.

But I know that I sourly miss a clean explanation about what an UEP or a DCE is. Maybe someone could try to stick a post of explanation...?
Thorsten the Traveller
Ex Council Chairman

I agree the card is quite useless.
aligning some hazards vs. minion with Gates of Morning thematically makes sense, but in game context is slighly weird, as hazards are not supposed to be depending on (or associated with) the resource player. ICE made Skies of Fire as a simple hero-to-minion conversion excersise, which seemed to make no sense even to themselves, as literally only 1 card (Orc Quarrels) interacts with it.

so making a UEP for it is pointless, as minions will hardly ever play this card [only reason I see is to win the environment battle against Doors players, or hypothetically in minion vs minion games, one being Balrog/overt and the other covert].

We might make a dce, as it could be nice to have Skies of FIre interact with new DC cards (see What of the Dawn, etc.).

Making a dce would exclude the use of Skies as Gates. It's a pity to decrease the use of cards, even if that use is small.
In the standard game, apart from the UEP Elflord, how bad can it backfire if you play Skies? Only hazard in the game interacting with Gates is Glance of Arien.
In DC there are also Dwarven Warparty, Dawn Comes Early, and Eagles Ahunt. But these can be avoided with some planning I suppose.

So perhaps a better way would be to state on the UEP Elf-lord ...key to SL if Gates of Morning is in play (not Skies of Fire)?
Of course there are DC hazards that also interact with Gates, we might have to check them on case by case basis.
Stone-age did not end because man ran out of rocks.
CDavis7M

I like the idea of DCE, and UEPs (which seem dead?). There was also some other concept way-back-when where people tried to improve "useless" cards. I think that DC should not adopt such a strategy. I think it's better to just release a new card.

This post is old. Did we ever get a new DC minion environment permanent event that is similar to this concept, or Gates/Skies? I see Mordor Storms but that enhances Skies. Helecthil is pretty sweet but not the same as this concept here.

EDIT - I missed this DCE:

Skies of Fire: add: […environment cards] and Gates of Morning. Replace “acts as…hazards.” with
“is not discarded by the play of Doors of Night, but rather when Gates of Morning is played.”

I feel like this changes the use of the card too much. And not only that, but Skies still had some use that was different from the new use. For me, it would be better to introduce a different card with the new effect. I suggest "Flare of Livid Lightnings".

Return to “News, Issues, Questions”